Moving from tent to a tarp

dotman

WKR
So how many people are moving away from the classic tent to a floorless tarp this year and why?

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent some time in the Sawtooth a couple week-ends back and really liked it. That said during summer and early fall I don't like crap crawling on my face while I'm trying to sleep. I will have along the SL-3 and the SL-2 this year. Depends which one I pack....

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I am with Les. I have tought about just using the rain fly and foot print of my SL2 along with a bivy sack but do not want things on me at night. The tent w/ foot print is 64 oz. If I go the route of fly, foot print and bivy I think I would only save a few ounces and to me the cost for those ounces is not worth the money.

TJ

WKR
I use a Tarptent Moment at this time. I have been seriously considering going to a Para tarp with a bug nest hung underneath.
I have have found several nests with a floor and netting for around 10 oz.
The overall weight would probably end up being around 25 oz I'm guessing.
There is no way I would use a tarp alone as the mosquitos always seem to be out when I scout and hunt elk.

At this point I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

Mike7

WKR
You tent users might be missing out. Unless you camp on an ant mound, ground crawlies don't seem to be a problem. Mosquitos can be a problem sometimes in the year, but a bivy net or peripheral tarp net or mosquito net nest weighs little. This is still all lighter than even the most lightweight tents for the space you get, particularly if you are taking trekking poles anyway.

Also, if you decide to also use a lightweight bivy as part of your system, you can carry a lighter sleeping bag with the same comfort rating as a heavier bag and protect your sleeping bag from damage; and there is no concern with the foot of the bag contacting a potentially damp tarp.

An example: MLD Duomid (16 oz), added peripheral tarp edge mosquito netting (a few ounces depending upon width), and Tyvek floor (less than a few ounces) = 1 1/2 lb bug resistant, low volume shelter that you can cook in, use as an awning during storms to glass from, and wear your wet muddy shoes and clothes into without getting that crud all over the rest of your gear and ground cloth.

Note: I have no financial relationship with any tarp maker. :)

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Mega-light, tyvek or pu poly mat for the sleeping area, Neo-air pad, Ti goat bivey, L.L. Bean 30° bag, and Sea to Summit reactor liner.
I bring the carbon fiber pole for the Mega-light so I can leave the tent up and still use my trekking poles.

With this setup I can go from mid summer scouting to late september freezing at night just by picking and choosing what parts of the system I use.
At most I will sleep in my longhandles on the nights in the 20's.

I have a Oware cuben fiber cat tarp I can take if going fast, light, and solo in the summer and shave a few pounds on the shelter weight. Sometimes I hunt with the tarp, bivey, and bag in my day pack in case I decide to spike out or get caught in a bad way. All 3 run right about 3 pounds. If I plan on spiking out I toss in the Neo-air also.

Tarping it, or going floorless isnt as bad as it sounds unless stuff is soaked when you arrive. Makes for a damp floor. Also if you pitch on a snow bank, the sleeping pad is paramount. Cutting some fir boughs to lay down helps also.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a 5 oz bug net that i can tuck under my pad when the bugs are bad. In the summer ill take it. In the fall ill take the stove and cook those little buggers.

In all my paratarp, annex, bugnet when needed, and stove when needed(ill probably always take it for exteneded outings) makes for a pretty versatile system.

The para annex and stove still weighs less then my msr hubba :)

Rizzy

WKR
I made the switch from the tent to the Supertarp last season. I won't ever use a floored shelter again, there is too many benefits to going floorless. I have pitched it in the snow already and it worked great, I won't hesitate to it again.

I have found bugs are only a problem when I camp next to a creek or in a canyon bottom, up on the ridglines where it is drier there was no issues. Spraying the ground with repellant or running the stove solves bug issues the rest of the time.

I didn't get the stove til after last season was over and that is my only regret. I would highly recommend getting a stove before the cold weather comes in if you go with a floorless shelter.

The ability to use a stove is what it's all about. My wife has gained a renewed interest in camping since she slept in the SuperTarp with a the stove a couple weeks ago. It's plush and cozy.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
If you carry hiking poles going tarp with either tyvek or lightweight bivy becomes easy. Anymore with beetle kill camping in timber can be worrysome but plenty of deadfall for shelter support. Still like to be able to pitch camp in dark without having to look so got a shangri la 3 that will be tested this weekend.

depending on the weather, do most of you tarp guys use a bivy too or just the tarp and sleep system of your choice with maybe some tyvek?

G Posik

WKR
I am making the move this year to a tarp. I have a Bivy sack foam pad and an air pad. I like the idea of saving space and weight in the pack. I was not planning on using any pole just tie off to some trees this year. May have to get a pole or two for next year. Late September in Colorado not to worried about it getting to cold that I can not manage with bag, bivy and a liner.

Glenn

My Shangri-La 5 is having the stove jack installed this week and the stove is on order from Kifaru. I might pickup a bivy sack and go without a tyvek floor but that is as close to a tarp as I am getting. :)

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
My Shangri-La 5 is having the stove jack installed this week and the stove is on order from Kifaru. I might pickup a bivy sack and go without a tyvek floor but that is as close to a tarp as I am getting. :)

I recently picked up an SL5 as well and am thinking of making a DIY Tyvek bivy.