Moving from WA to PA

Hahahahaha

Bear hiking sounds fun. A normal day of bear hiking for me is 10+ miles and 3000 feet of gain or more. Then when I get to my destination I see multiple bear. Find the one I want and make a stalk on it. Hard part is the pack out. 80-100lb pack for 10 miles or more is a ass kicker but we’ll worth it.

I definitely need to find a area that is bear rich there so I can put boots on the ground.
You can cover those miles here if you want, but you'll be sticking to the trails. Your not doing 10 off trail here in Bear country. If you haven't experienced Laurel, Rhododendron and Beech brush your in for a treat.

PMcGee

WKR
Crowds will be something I’ll have to get us to or try and get away from them. Here in Washington it’s rare I see any other hunters on a bear trip.

Never done any skeet shooting at all or waterfowl hunting. I may have to switch up what I hunt for and how I hunt in order to keep me going in the outdoors over there.

Bear hunting out here is normally 200-500 yard shots. Blacktail deer is all spot and stalk in rainy conditions that always gets my blood pumping. As far as elk I’m pretty sure everyone knows the routine on them. For me I chase them in muzzleloader season(beginning of October) on the coast. They are still very much in the rut and there are far fewer muzzleloader guys than archery or rifle guys.

From what I’ve researched and read over the last few days bear seems to be a luck thing and elk pretty much out of the question. Whitetail sounds fun but definitely would like to find my own little spot without competition and definitely not sure about the whole tree stand thing( have trouble sitting still).Also sounds like there are plenty of coyotes out there which I love hunting as well.

It’s pretty hard to get away from the crowds during rifle season. You’ll definitely have to get away from the southeast part of the state. I love hunting the north central part of the state but it can be tough hunting. You’re only an hour or so away from some pretty decent sized state game lands. I work in the area you’re moving to and don’t think I’d like living there that’s why I still drive up to 2hrs to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
It’s pretty hard to get away from the crowds during rifle season. You’ll definitely have to get away from the southeast part of the state. I love hunting the north central part of the state but it can be tough hunting. You’re only an hour or so away from some pretty decent sized state game lands. I work in the area you’re moving to and don’t think I’d like living there that’s why I still drive up to 2hrs to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You have a good amount of public land your way, provided you walk in a little bit to get away from people. Weiser State Forest, SG 106. Love the Port Clinton fire tower area just to walk.

Only good thing about living outside of philly is the special regulation seasons. We get to hunt whitetail from mid September till the end of January.

semasko

FNG
You'll want to take a 0 off each number in that 200-500 yard range for PA heh. Most guys who are consistently successful with bears here either hunt with a big group and do drives, or put a ton of hard miles on. The spot and stalk style will work, and from what it sounds like you're used to walking a lot so that will make it easier. But as others have warned - rhododendron, mountain laurel, and greenbrier are no joke in some areas. It might take you a half hour to walk 100 yards if you end up tangled in the wrong spot. This is what makes areas that appear to be not as "remote" as the crow flies from civilization. There are many areas of the state (particularly the northern and south central) where you will absolutely not see anyone in peak hunting seasons if you choose to walk even a mile or two from major roads or parking areas.

PA has recently opened a week long inline muzzleloader season for bear in mid-October. That will probably be your best bet as the typical rifle season at the end of November is unpredictable with weather and more people = more nocturnal and/or spooked bears.

You also aren't more than 4-5hrs from many more acres of remote public land in WV, where the amount of days to hunt bear with a rifle are 3-4x PA for about $350 total NR license and tag.

Steelhead fishing in the Erie tribs is great as others have mentioned. Like anything else, you can beat the crowds if you go at the right time. The majority of people think you can only catch fish there in the fall but they will be there up until April if conditions are right. I've had some of my best days there in March without seeing much of anyone.

You aren't too far from some world class native trout fishing in central and NC PA. Fishing Creek, Spring Creek, the Little Juniata River are all great fly fishing / artificial streams for wild browns and rainbows. The more mountainous areas have great wild brook fishing, although much smaller they're still very fun.

I'd highly recommend going out for spring gobbler if you get the chance - its probably my favorite of all the hunting here in PA and also the least pressured in my experience. Also some other activities in the warmer months: mushroom (especially morels) picking, walleye / perch / sunfish fishing, groundhog hunting, dove hunting, and various reptile and amphibian seasons.

RS3579

WKR
FYI snapping turtle season is July 1-Halloween. 15 per day 30 in possession. You need a fishing license. Good luck with the move.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Thank you to everyone that have replied and even reached out via PM. It’s official, I’ll be out there in June. Already have flights booked back to Wa in August (bear) and October (muzzy elk). I’ll definitely put in some work to learn the area close to where we will be living and also venture to the north to some bigger timbered areas. Excited but nervous for this chapter. Other bonus is my in-laws are all Italian so amazing food and fun family gatherings. We are looking in the Collegeville/Skippback/Limerick area. It’s close to family and my wife’s work and will be easy for me to find work as well. Thanks again and keep ‘em coming!

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
We are looking in the Collegeville/Skippback/Limerick area.
Well in the Limerick area you will be near the Philadelphia Premium Outlets. Sometimes there are good deals to be had at the Merrell and Columbia Outlets.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
It’s going to be a culture shock...trust me.

Best of luck.
I’m sure it will be. I’ve visited the area a ton since that’s where my wife is from originally. At least there I won’t be dealing with tree hugging hippies that call you a murderer when they see you on the trail. Also won’t have to step over homeless people shooting up in a new 3 season tent they just stole from REI just to take your family to breakfast. That being said I still love the outdoors here in north Washington. 2 hours and I can be on the ocean, in the Olympic mountains, or in the Cascade mountains. I’ll just have to learn how to hunt white tails out there and focus on bear and elk elsewhere.

ErikT

FNG
Not much to add here-

PA has evolved mainly into a deer-turkey-bear state. Although the 2 week rifle season prevails as the most popular, there is a heavy emphasis on bow hunting for deer. With regard to bear, although they are common and the state holds some really nice bears, most hunters will hunt for 20 seasons to get their first bear. There are exceptions. There is a good turkey population but these eastern wild turkeys are nothing like the Merriam turkeys out west. They are much more wary. Outside of the big three, there are decent waterfowl opportunities, and good squirrel hunting. In fact, squirrel hunting is probably the only truly decent small game in the state. There are some exceptions with decent rabbit hunting if you run beagles.

Get used to NO SUNDAY HUNTING. However the state has recently granted us three (3) Sundays in which we can hunt.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Not much to add here-

PA has evolved mainly into a deer-turkey-bear state. Although the 2 week rifle season prevails as the most popular, there is a heavy emphasis on bow hunting for deer. With regard to bear, although they are common and the state holds some really nice bears, most hunters will hunt for 20 seasons to get their first bear. There are exceptions. There is a good turkey population but these eastern wild turkeys are nothing like the Merriam turkeys out west. They are much more wary. Outside of the big three, there are decent waterfowl opportunities, and good squirrel hunting. In fact, squirrel hunting is probably the only truly decent small game in the state. There are some exceptions with decent rabbit hunting if you run beagles.

Get used to NO SUNDAY HUNTING. However the state has recently granted us three (3) Sundays in which we can hunt.
Thanks for the info. Everyone has been very helpful. I’ll probably focus on hunting white tail and maybe coyotes. I’m not into turkeys or waterfowl. No hunting on sundays?!?! What the hell? Is this a real thing? Like I said before I’ll probably just fly back to Washington for bear, I can and normally get two a year out here. I’m definitely going to look into and try for bear out there but sounds like my time would be better served in WA where I know the area and I’m more likely to harvest. Thanks again to you and everyone else!

Patexalva

FNG
Thanks for the info. Everyone has been very helpful. I’ll probably focus on hunting white tail and maybe coyotes. I’m not into turkeys or waterfowl. No hunting on sundays?!?! What the hell? Is this a real thing? Like I said before I’ll probably just fly back to Washington for bear, I can and normally get two a year out here. I’m definitely going to look into and try for bear out there but sounds like my time would be better served in WA where I know the area and I’m more likely to harvest. Thanks again to you and everyone else!
There has been some strong pushes recently to get rid of the sunday hunting ban. The state recently adopted 3 sunday hunts during deer and bear season. I don't think it will stop there. I wouldnt be surprised if Sunday hunting gets fully legalized in a few years. As someone who grew up in PA, the no Sunday hunting thing was second nature to me so it's awesome to see it get chipped away at.

Don't overlook Turkey hunting. It's a great way to get in the woods in the spring and the gobblers are vocal and fun to call to and chase. I've heard it's semi-similar to elk hunting, although I've never chased elk. PA has some of the best turkey hunting in the east IMO.

It's been said above, but good trout fishing is easy to come by and there is a variety of hunting and fishing opportunities if you're willing to drive a few hours in most any direction.

Good luck with your move!

ErikT

FNG
No hunting on sundays?!?! What the hell? Is this a real thing?

Yes. It is real. Very real. Welcome to PA. As the guy above stated, if you've lived here all of your life you kind of accept it as 'normal', although it is not normal at all. Many Hunters are starting to wake up though and change is brewing. And believe it or not , there is actually fairly large group of old Boomer-type hunters that still support "no Sunday hunting". Apparently the PA State Farm Bureau has been a stick in the mud and holds a lot of power against the state legislators that have the power to approve Bills that will bring a halt to NSH laws. People in PA hate change. Forget the fact that most hunting does not even take place on farmsteads anymore. The weird thing is that you CAN hunt foxes, coyotes, and crows on Sunday. there are some loop holes for that. And now 3-days of Sunday hunting (1 day archery, 1 day bear, 1 day deer rifle). What a crock of shit.

ehhh, im sorry. I lived out there for awhile. never ever want to live anywhere near there again. what they call mountains is pretty laughable.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I figured as much for the Great Lakes steelhead. It will be a huge adjustment. Fishing on the coast for wild steelhead here in Washington is pretty kick ass. I walk plenty of river miles each trip out in search of a spot all to myself and the chance at a 20lb steelhead smashing my spoon in a tail out! I’m sure none of that is possible over there but just would like a chance at catching something close to a steelhead.
ohio has better steelhead rivers than PA. NY is good too. Coming from the west you're gonna be like wtf. DM me if ya need any info on steelhead stuff.

Tradchef

WKR
I grew up in Bucks Co. Deer hunting is killer but private land can be hard to get on and lots of hunters. You'll see what hunting pressure is when you hunt PA for the first time. Plenty of places but lots of guys hunt. Still, you can kill some nice bucks. We had a family relative that had a farm in Bradford Co. which was amazing. I hunted a lot in Pike Co which has a shit load of bears and some solid bucks up that way. Fishing is real good up that way. The Lackawaxen is real good through Hawley, the Sawkill, Bushkill, Raymonds Creeks are all killer. Nockamixon has some good fishing and some good bowfishing for carp. The Delaware has some good fishing as well. Its a big state and has great hunting and fishing throughout. You'll like it. Lots of things i miss about it. You'll be in the land of Amish cooking, Scrapple, Steak hoagies, Tomato Pie, Shoo Fly and some great sandwiches.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
ohio has better steelhead rivers than PA. NY is good too. Coming from the west you're gonna be like wtf. DM me if ya need any info on steelhead stuff.
Thanks bud! I’ll probably be reaching out once I get moved.

I grew up in Bucks Co. Deer hunting is killer but private land can be hard to get on and lots of hunters. You'll see what hunting pressure is when you hunt PA for the first time. Plenty of places but lots of guys hunt. Still, you can kill some nice bucks. We had a family relative that had a farm in Bradford Co. which was amazing. I hunted a lot in Pike Co which has a shit load of bears and some solid bucks up that way. Fishing is real good up that way. The Lackawaxen is real good through Hawley, the Sawkill, Bushkill, Raymonds Creeks are all killer. Nockamixon has some good fishing and some good bowfishing for carp. The Delaware has some good fishing as well. Its a big state and has great hunting and fishing throughout. You'll like it. Lots of things i miss about it. You'll be in the land of Amish cooking, Scrapple, Steak hoagies, Tomato Pie, Shoo Fly and some great sandwiches.
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. No go on the scrapple or tomato pie but everything else I’ve had and enjoyed.