Moving - furniture blanket suggestions?

SWOHTR

WKR
Hey all,

Looking for suggestions on furniture blankets/pads for moving. I've looked at the big stores and not impressed with what they carry (cost and durability wise). The chief consideration I am looking for is durability; cost is a secondary consideration as I'll be reimbursed for most of the cost on them. Lastly, if they could be made ANYWHERE but China would be great. I really don't like that country...won't get in to all of the reasons here. It looks like the heavier the blankets are, generally speaking the better they are.

Background:
I'm in the military and move frequently.
Contracted movers don't give a shit about your things and quality of the mover and their materials are hit-and-miss.
We care about our things, so are deciding to spend some money in furniture blankets.
My dad owned a furniture installation company in the '90s and had quality blankets but where they came from is anyone's guess (surely not Amazon, Home Depot, etc.). Maybe Grainger? If anyone has experience with the blankets they sell, please chime in (yes, I know they are made in the PRC).
I made a nursery set (crib, dresser), desk, and have a 35-gun safe (Liberty). I'd prefer they not be wrapped in packing paper.

Anyone out there with suggestions? Much appreciated.

ODB

WKR
Not sure where you are but hit craigslist. I bought about 30 for my move. Movers sell them like crazy because the consider them expendable as they charge each client for new ones.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
I'll have to check out Harbor. When I looked at the ones at Home Depot I wasn't impressed...too thin. Checked CL and that was a bust.

fishslap

WKR
Call PODS moving and storage. When my wife and I were consolidating homes, I used the pods for storage and bought the moving blankets from them instead of renting them.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I've found the harbor freight ones to be of poor quality. The fabric tears like it's paper. I can't remember where we purchased most of ours(possibly uhaul), but the ones we have from harbor freight are definitely inferior quality than the rest...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Sounds like a great reason to stock up on Pendleton blankets, cabelas berber and some down. Furniture deserves to be happy.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had to move out of AK in 2018. We rented a bunch from Uhaul. Was reasonably priced and pretty darn cheap compared to buying a few dozen. Plus I don't have to store them.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. Checked CL again and found 30 for $200, going to check them out.

Just a quick two cents from a longtime cabinet maker/installer: moving blankets are "ok"....cardboard, styrofoam, masking tape, and pallet wrap are your friends....(y)

Titan

WKR
Walmart has some quilt type blankets on clearance. They are actually fairly nice as a normal blanket, so I'm sure they would work well for this.

def90

WKR
The local ma and pa hardware store in town has the real ones, built solid and tons of padding bs what you get from home depot or anywhere else.