Moving gun safe

CDS8034

FNG
Anyone have any advise for moving a gun safe. We are in the process of purchasing a new home. The issue is that my gun safes will have to go downstairs(approximately 18 stairs). Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the two of them down the stairs safely. I have looked into local movers and they charge 550 per safe, which is hard to swallow as I paid approximately 300 per safe. We moved to a new area so don’t know a lot of “helpers”. I think I would be able to round up 3 to 4 guys to help but not sure if that would be enough. (I’m trying to look for a mechanical solution instead if possible). I appreciate any ideas or advise

Are your steps in the new place carpeted? And is there a direct line of site to an exterior door?

Not a gun safe but I had to move a very heavy treadmill down stairs. It weighed more than my gun safe does. I used straps and braced myself at the top and lowered the thing down the stairs. They were carpeted so it worked well. If no carpet maybe cut a piece of plywood or something as a sled? It will be much easier to lower it down in a similar manner than carry it.

Kinda what I was thinking too, maybe sheets of heavy duty cardboard from your moving boxes to protect your paint.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
One option would be to look into what moving equipment you might be able to rent. Some places have the stair climbing dollys available.

-- Scott

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
Are your steps in the new place carpeted? And is there a direct line of site to an exterior door?
Steps are wood. Getting it in the house won’t be a problem. Just about 18 steps straight down with nice wood stairs that I don’t want to scratch up

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
One option would be to look into what moving equipment you might be able to rent. Some places have the stair climbing dollys available.

-- Scott
Yup good suggestion. I will definitely check into it. Thanks

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
Most safes allow you to take the door off. That takes a good amount of weight off and makes them easier to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. I will have to check my safe out and see if this is possible

Uhaul rents dolleys that will make life easy.... they even have stair assist (rubber belts that put weight on edge of step to keep it from free falling and control decent.

Reactions: WCB
OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
Uhaul rents dolleys that will make life easy.... they even have stair assist (rubber belts that put weight on edge of step to keep it from free falling and control decent.
Awesome. Will definitely look into this

Sorry, but $550 to move a $300 safe sounds freaking outrageous. Unless you paid scrap prices for your safes, they are light enough that a few guys could carry them..$550 to move a safe that is 72"×72"×39" deep seems completely fair to me based on personal experiences, and there is no way your manhandling a safe of those dimensions.

JMDavies

WKR
I had a piano moving company move mine. I'm not sure if it would be any less expensive but worth a call.

Jonoton

FNG
I had a moving company attempt to move a 1500lb safe during a recent move. Three 6"+, big guys, and they couldn't do it. Got their butt kicked and worn out, and I called it off before one of them got hurt.

Safe moving co sent two 5'10" guys who were athletic and smart, and they made quick work of it. Charged about $350, and that included delivery to the new place. No stairs, though.

If you domt want your stairs damaged, i'd hire a safe mover.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I think the weight of the safe would be the biggest factor. Had one that weighed about 400#. Friend and I could have moved it anywhere. We used an appliance hand truck with the bands on the back side to assist with stairs. We sold it to get a newer bigger safe that was higher fire rated. Thing weighs over 1000# empty. Took 4 guys to move it. No way I would even think about putting it down 18 stairs unless I had some sort of hoist set up to lower it

I would see what you could sell the safes for then buy a new one and negotiate free delivery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Totally depends on safe dimensions and weight. I’d call around and get some different quotes. Going down stairs is easier, but so is losing control of it going down stairs. I’ve got a 72” tall Liberty and it almost killed two movers when they started to lose control of it going down a set of stairs. They regained control when it tipped into the drywall and dug in. It ended up gouging the drywall and ripping up one of the stairs and the safe ended up finding a home on the ground floor instead of the basement.

If you’re going to DIY, I’d recommend keeping everyone on the uphill side. One slip up has the potential to become someone’s last mistake.

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
I think the weight of the safe would be the biggest factor. Had one that weighed about 400#. Friend and I could have moved it anywhere. We used an appliance hand truck with the bands on the back side to assist with stairs. We sold it to get a newer bigger safe that was higher fire rated. Thing weighs over 1000# empty. Took 4 guys to move it. No way I would even think about putting it down 18 stairs unless I had some sort of hoist set up to lower it

I would see what you could sell the safes for then buy a new one and negotiate free delivery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ya if I remember right I think the weight is just under 800 pounds. I told the same thing to the wife about possibly buying new if we can find anyone that offers cheaper delivery when bought from them.

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
$300 for an 800lb safe? Something isn't adding up. But beyond that, I'd hire safe movers.
Bought it used from a friend about 10 years ago that didn’t want to deal with moving it. And I could be wrong on the weight. The safe is currently buried in a storage unit and I can’t remember the model number.