Moving gun safe

WCB

WKR
I've moved probably a dozen gun safes up and down stairs...I've also worked in the trades and had to move very heavy awkward loads down stairs on dollys. Get a good appliance dolly with band style stair climbers not the ones with 3 wheels. 3 competent people is more than enough....2 people will do all the work and stairs limit the work space. If you have nice wood stairs good luck to ya

Rich M

WKR
I lived on 2nd floor once.

Used battery powered 2,000 pound winch to pull it up a couple 2x4s laid on steps.

Getting it down, slid it down.

This was a 500# safe.

pirogue

WKR
Sorry, but $550 to move a $300 safe sounds freaking outrageous. Unless you paid scrap prices for your safes, they are light enough that a few guys could carry them..$550 to move a safe that is 72"×72"×39" deep seems completely fair to me based on personal experiences, and there is no way your manhandling a safe of those dimensions.
The cost to move is probably average. That cost for a safe is below average. But like you said, cheap safes aren’t near as heavy as quality safes.

RS3579

WKR
4x4 across the door jam and use a come-a-long In reverse to let down slowly. Another 4x4 inside wider than the opening. Hook one side to door jam and let down slow. May want 6x6 depending on the weight. It’s just a idea. I’ve never done it this way. Line steps with a product similar to Ram Board.

I have moved several heavy safes both up and down steps. Use 2 good dolleys to set on top of machinery rollers. Harbor freight has them cheap. Use these for across flat floors. Once to steps down remove off dolleys. Lay safe on side. Lay heavy cardboard on steps and use method detailed in precious post Use a chain fall. Do not use a cable style come a long. The release lever for letting down is to easy to mess up and lose it all.

Anyone have any advise for moving a gun safe. We are in the process of purchasing a new home. The issue is that my gun safes will have to go downstairs(approximately 18 stairs). Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the two of them down the stairs safely. I have looked into local movers and they charge 550 per safe, which is hard to swallow as I paid approximately 300 per safe. We moved to a new area so don’t know a lot of “helpers”. I think I would be able to round up 3 to 4 guys to help but not sure if that would be enough. (I’m trying to look for a mechanical solution instead if possible). I appreciate any ideas or advise

I would check with nearby gun shops. They typically can do it in-house or know of contractors/movers who do this professionally. I went through the same thing when I relocated out West. I used a local moving company that specialized in moving safes and other heavy valuables. Paid $260 for moving a brand new 24 gun safe down into my basement. They even set up the shelving in the safe. With their special dolly it was a breeze.

Electric dolly. There’s no reason to make it any harder and has to be. My safe ways 650 or 700 pounds I can’t remember which me and a buddy move it downstairs with no problem the dolly will literally walk it down the stairs for you all you have to do is run the controls.

Electric dolly. There’s no reason to make it any harder and has to be. My safe ways 650 or 700 pounds I can’t remember which me and a buddy move it downstairs with no problem the dolly will literally walk it down the stairs for you all you have to do is run the controls.

Glockster, you ever try moving a brand new safe by yourself downstairs? Try it and let me know how it turns out? I prefer to let the professionals with the right tools and skill get it done. My money well spent👍.

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
Thanks for all the input. I will call around and get something figured out

Glockster, you ever try moving a brand new safe by yourself downstairs? Try it and let me know how it turns out? I prefer to let the professionals with the right tools and skill get it done. My money well spent👍.
If you want to pay a mover go for it. I spent 75 bucks on an electric dolly and I would have no concerns about moving my safe up or down my stairs now. My friend was literally just more of a spotter than anything. It’s literally as easy as a running the very simple controls. Hey if you’re in a safe move in business I don’t wanna step on your toes.