Moving-On to other parts of Colorado

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide when to move on from an area that the first year I hunted it (2018) I practically had elk running me over on opening morning. I saw 2 shooters and over twenty cows. Another hunter in my group saw more in the same spot the following year on opening day and no one else ever saw anything more that year, then we skipped 2020. Last year I never saw an elk and saw very little sign of elk in the area except a small heard that apparently had a shooter in it but a hunter from another camp missed it. I know the area very well but there isn't a lot of dark timber nearby. Elevation ranges between 8500 to 10500 and mainly north-facing country. The area that I know really well is about 15 square miles, but I have another area of about 12 square miles nearby that I am somewhat familiar.

So do I stick with this area or go to a totally new unit. I can get bull tags pretty easy for 1st rifle but not cows without a preference point. Last year the area was crawling with hunters infers rifle, about 8-10 camps in the area, but no one shot anything other than the one guy who missed. Obviously, that many hunters spread out farther than the 25 square miles I am assuming, but really don't know. I am pretty much hanging in there this year but no elk in camp again means I'm outta there, don't you agree?

DanimalW

WKR
Sounds like last year was your only tough season hunting there. I’d give it one more shot like you suggest. If you don’t see any elk, or even any sign again (worse case scenario), you could spend your last couple days scouting a new unit for next year.

I'm learning that here in Colorado "learning an area" means more or less the whole unit. I don't think we can count on finding elk year after year in any 12 or 15 square mile area, no matter how good it is. For example, third rifle 2021 in Southern Colorado was so warm and dry that the elk were nowhere near their usual haunts. That many hunters in such a small area will probably push the elk out. Can you figure out where they're pushing them? Could be a rough spot in the area of interest or private land on the edges? I think if you continue to learn that area you'll be able to use the other hunters to your advantage.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, were going to give it another year this year. I'll probably have about 4 guns in camp for first rifle if everything goes according to plan. Have been going south, but may start heading north next year if no luck this year.

rayporter

WKR
analyze why.

why were there elk the first year? did pressure push them to you? did weather push them to you? was it dry? etc.

why were they gone? no weather up higher? pressure? pressure is real but can get blamed unrealistically.

I'm learning that here in Colorado "learning an area" means more or less the whole unit. I don't think we can count on finding elk year after year in any 12 or 15 square mile area, no matter how good it is. For example, third rifle 2021 in Southern Colorado was so warm and dry that the elk were nowhere near their usual haunts. That many hunters in such a small area will probably push the elk out. Can you figure out where they're pushing them? Could be a rough spot in the area of interest or private land on the edges? I think if you continue to learn that area you'll be able to use the other hunters to your advantage.
many pieces to the puzzle to learn.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
analyze why.

why were there elk the first year? did pressure push them to you? did weather push them to you? was it dry? etc.

why were they gone? no weather up higher? pressure? pressure is real but can get blamed unrealistically.

Well put and once you learn why you are so much better equipped for future hunts. I think learning why animals fo what they do is a big part of what I love about hunting, of course until you learn why it can be so frustrating.

Trying to decide when to move on from an area that the first year I hunted it (2018) I practically had elk running me over on opening morning. I saw 2 shooters and over twenty cows. Another hunter in my group saw more in the same spot the following year on opening day and no one else ever saw anything more that year, then we skipped 2020. Last year I never saw an elk and saw very little sign of elk in the area except a small heard that apparently had a shooter in it but a hunter from another camp missed it. I know the area very well but there isn't a lot of dark timber nearby. Elevation ranges between 8500 to 10500 and mainly north-facing country. The area that I know really well is about 15 square miles, but I have another area of about 12 square miles nearby that I am somewhat familiar.

So do I stick with this area or go to a totally new unit. I can get bull tags pretty easy for 1st rifle but not cows without a preference point. Last year the area was crawling with hunters infers rifle, about 8-10 camps in the area, but no one shot anything other than the one guy who missed. Obviously, that many hunters spread out farther than the 25 square miles I am assuming, but really don't know. I am pretty much hanging in there this year but no elk in camp again means I'm outta there, don't you agree?
If you're asking this question, IMO you should have already moved.

I made a move halfway across the state after my 2nd year and I've never regretted it. But then I really enjoy seeing new country and the process of scouting all year to prepare for it. That might not be you. Only you can answer that.

I have hunted the same area for 10 years. This year will be 11. Sometimes it takes 9 or 12 days to kill one. But it’s nice to ALWAYS have a plan B. I’m 10 straight there by staying put and learning.

Think about this: I’ve been hunting there since before the elk that are there now were born.

I’ve never understood why folks bounce around when they don’t immediately find animals. I wouldn’t enjoy having to figure out everything all the time.

TA2510

FNG
Well put and once you learn why you are so much better equipped for future hunts. I think learning why animals fo what they do is a big part of what I love about hunting, of course until you learn why it can be so frustrating.
I agree, try and figure out all the pieces of the puzzle before you just throw in the towel and move.

trchandl2

FNG
analyze why.

x2

We moved on to different area after 3 years. Increased pressure from both hunters and recreational users in the area we were familiar with pushed us to a new area. Picked an area that was still OTC archery, but historically sees about 1/3rd the pressure of where we had been, plus much less recreational use. Also, 1st rifle tags are a 0pt draw, where as where we hunting 1st rifle was 2-3 pts. The terrain was a little more forgiving as well, seeing as my dad is over 60 and 10-12k mtns was keeping him from being able to have an enjoyable hunt. So far it’s been good for us. We saw more elk during the first day of our first trip out there than we did in the 3 years of hunting the other area. And hunting pressure is much less. 99% of the hunters we encountered didn’t venture more than 300 yds from an ATV. We walked 1/2-1 mile off roads and found tons of elk.

Slugz

WKR
What really helps to learn an area is to change method of take. Get in there different times of the year.

Unless something drastic happened I'll bet there are still elk in that same area and will be year after year. Did something drastic happen (increased presssure, change in season, anything). I like knowing a unit or a particular area really well. I love knowing I have 5+ options for the day that are all good. My two cents is stay in that unit unless you guys are just itching to see some new land, which is totally fine as well.

Ill be moving on as well. Not sure where just yet. Got alot of off season homework to do. Not asking for honeyholes or anything 😉

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord