Moving out East (VA or WV) and I need a pep talk…

TheCougar

WKR
I just got a new job and I had been hoping to move to Denver from Texas, but we can’t afford it and my schedule would suck for a few years, so instead we are moving to northern VA or WV. This year was always going to be a “no elk hunting” year, but it’s looking like my western hunting adventures are going to be severely curtailed for several years. I could use a pep talk about the area we are looking at. Are there any redeeming hunting qualities? I’m sure there is good deer hunting, but I don’t particularly care enough about whitetail to pay to hunt them on a lease. Public land opportunities? Good fly fishing or turkey hunting?

Lowg08

WKR
All you need to know is 4 bow only counties in the southern tip of West Virginia. Logan, Mingo and two others. Logan county gets the most P&Y entries per year and you can spot and stalk on reclaimed strip mines like out west. All public land

fatlander

WKR
There is nowhere on the east coast that has anything close to the public land hunting opportunities like out west. Crowded takes a whole new meaning when there are 5 trucks parked to hunt 50 acres. There is ok fly fishing, great freshwater fishing and decent deer/turkey hunting on private land. Securing private land isn’t easy. Even finding land to lease out here is basically a birth right. You’ve gotta know people.

Northern Virginia is a cesspool in my honest opinion. I’d avoid it at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
There is nowhere on the east coast that has anything close to the public land hunting opportunities like out west. Crowded takes a whole new meaning when there are 5 trucks parked to hunt 50 acres. There is ok fly fishing, great freshwater fishing and decent deer/turkey hunting on private land. Securing private land isn’t easy. Even finding land to lease out here is basically a birth right. You’ve gotta know people.

Northern Virginia is a cesspool in my honest opinion. I’d avoid it at all costs.

You give really bad pep talks. Moving to VA is a tough choice, but I don’t know that there are any other options. We are looking at the Winchester/Martinsburg area. I have to fly out of Dulles and need to be within 1.5 hours of the airport. It’s either that or eastern PA and fly out of NYC or live in California anc fly out of San Fran or LAX. Flying out of DC seems to be the best choice, at least until I can get into Denver.

Lowg08

WKR
We are looking very hard at the Martinsburg area.
It looks like you would have ample opportunity to hunt Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia within short drives. Always got sika deer in Maryland too. Just take the cards you have been dealt and make your best hand. East coast hunting ain’t so bad. Also Pennsylvania had an elk draw. Just saying

WV has great hunting for bear, deer, Turkey, and small game. It has a lot of public land. It has a lot of state forests. However what it doesn’t have is a lot of unleaded ground inside the bow only counties.

Pocahontas land created a sister company to get around a written in agreement to keep their lands open to hunting. All those lands are now leased or being leased. It was a who you know kinda thing. And, if you didn’t know, you are now outta luck.

I focus on public land. I like where I hunt because it is very remote. Foot travel only. And, I hunt them like I hunt out west. Long Hikes and a lot of tough miles. There is plenty of that here. Probably more black bear per square miles then anywhere in this country. And great Turkey hunting. Fall and spring.

I loath norther VA so I can’t give you a fair assessment of there.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I moved from Idaho to West Virginia several years ago. Of course, West Virginia is nothing like Idaho but I imagine it is way better than Texas. There are several wilderness areas here. I do, however, have to acknowledge that it is difficult to get a wilderness experience in the Dolly Sods Wilderness due to its proximity to urban areas of DC/northern VA/MD. As @Poser alluded, it is quite an experience to cross a laurel or rhododendron thicket.

There is quite a bit of deer and bear hunting that starts as early as late August and goes through mid January. People get some really nice deer in the bow hunting only counties each year but some of the other counties give up some good bucks each year, too. Squirrel hunting is also pretty fun. There is a boar season in the southern part of the state, and while I have gone a couple of times, I have yet to see one. Turkey hunting is a big thing with lots of hunters (but not for me).

The cost of living in some parts of West Virginia is quite a bit lower than a lot of other places (Martinsburg is not one of the lower cost of living areas in WV). Feel free to pm me if you want more info (no honey holes though 😀).

ODB

WKR
Let me tell you about Pepperoni Rolls, available at most any gas station in WV. Also, Tudor’s biscuit world.

Lots of public land in WV, though it’s thick and nasty. I’d make friends with some houndsman and go bear hunting.

man I about spit out my drink when you said “pepperoni rolls!!” We used to get them at the BP station near Mt Storm, every damn year.

brings back some good memories. Ha!

BAKPAKR

WKR
Wouldn’t it be fitting for “TheCougar” to move to a state with lots of reported “panther” spottings?

Trust me, I’m stuck in the Midwest and love western hunting. I’m lucky to get one western trip in a year. It isn’t ideal but I’d get into bow hunting whitetails…

Is it the same as glassing big country and walking all over gods creation?

No. But sitting in the stand watching big bucks chase does during the rut is still pretty damn cool. A whole lot less exhausting too! After going out west I usually appreciate sitting in the stand while my legs recover.

The public land opportunity is less, but you generally have far less use outside of gun season. I hunted about a 1500 acre parsel of public today… One other truck was there.

ROJO23

FNG
I live just north of Richmond, and i would avoid northern VA at all cost. The property values are through the roof up there. Winchester would not be a bad choice. 1.5 hours from Dulles could get you in a few decent places in VA I cannot speak for WV. Like everyone said, not very much public hunting land.

Good luck. We bought some property in CO, so we will be making the move out west in a few years.

Martinsburg wouldn't be awful. Close to Peacemaker Shooting Range which is world class. Good fishing can be had. Hunting is just a different beast than out west. I've taken the view that I would rather go west every one or two years than try to chase a hunting spot in VA. Only access I've found is leases or semi suburban tame deer. Neither get me out of bed in the morning. National Forest on the WVA/VA border can be alot of fun.

Grew up in WV still have property there. Go back every spring for a cast and blast trip, turkey and trout, also lots of morels and ramps that time of year if you keep your eyes opened. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

fatlander

WKR
You give really bad pep talks. Moving to VA is a tough choice, but I don’t know that there are any other options. We are looking at the Winchester/Martinsburg area. I have to fly out of Dulles and need to be within 1.5 hours of the airport. It’s either that or eastern PA and fly out of NYC or live in California anc fly out of San Fran or LAX. Flying out of DC seems to be the best choice, at least until I can get into Denver.

I’m sorry, but that’s just the reality of hunting on the east coast. It seemed like like in your OP you still had a chance to decide between Denver and NOVA.

Trr15

WKR
I grew up in rural PA not too far from WV. Still go back to PA to hunt whitetails. It’s not the Rocky Mountain West but it’s a beautiful part of the country. Trout, bass and other fishing opportunities are readily available. Public land is crowded, but there is enough to go around. It will definitely feel different though. Turkey hunting is fantastic. Bears are huge but are harder to hunt. Lots of small game hunting if that interests you. Tree stand bow hunting for whitetails in October is still one of my favorite things to do. You don’t have near the hunting pressure in Archery season that you do in rifle season.

Scorpion

WKR
My sister lives near Martinsburg, lots of outdoor opportunities within a short drive. You have four different states to hunt (PA, MD, WV, VA). Fishing is awesome, especially if you’re into fly fishing. Lots of saltwater opportunities within 1.5-2 hours.

Winchester, Berkeley Springs, Front Royal wouldn’t be terrible.

What line of work?

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
The traffic and amount of people suck in Northern VA. Housing prices and general cost of living also suck in NoVA I would look at moving to Winchester or Martinsburg WV instead of Northern VA.

Over the last few years I have enjoyed going into WV more and more. Lots of outdoor recreation, friendly people, and gorgeous lands.