Moving peep site

codpalm

FNG
Just recently my peep site started to turn on me... What would be causing this?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
You can also twist your D Loop on your string. Twist D loop, draw and see how much more movement in the Peep you need; repeat.

Reactions: Zac
How old is your string? Newer strings stretch a bit before settling so peep sight rotation is normal. If your string is really old you might need to replace.
If it's just normal stretch you'll need to have someone press your bow to get it properly fixed. Moving the D-Loop is a temporary fix and works in a pinch.

bwlacy

WKR
This typically happens from having new strings in my experience, not always from needing them.

If I ever get a new string and the peep rotates then I send them back because something is wrong.

My peep never rotates until the string is getting worn out and starts to creep or stretch. You can add a twist to get it back where needed, but it will continue to move and be a problem. So it's time for a new set of quality threads.

wapitibob

WKR
Your end and/or center serving(s) have relaxed. You can try reserving the center serving and see if that fixes it, or buy a new set.

OP
C

codpalm

FNG
Thanks for the information! The string is new as is the bow and I've probably shot 70 to 100 arrows through it no problem. Haven't shot for a couple weeks but shot this last weekend as season is coming up... First draw back the peep was close to a 90 degree turn so you couldn't see anything.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bwlacy

WKR
Low quality strings, or peep tied in wrong would be my guess.

You can have it pressed and straighten it out and hope it makes it thru the season.

Trial153

WKR
String wasn't built correctly most likely, not enough tension, time or both on the stretcher.

Press it, take the peep out. Take the string off from the top post, put two full twists in it. Shoot it 10 time to settle the serving on the cam. Reinstall the peep and hopefully it holds for a bit. 50/50 chance you get a hundred shots before it rotates again.

PMcGee

WKR
If it’s a new string it probably stretched some. A couple twists in the string and you should be fine. I shoot zebra strings which some people say are junk. After 100 shots or so I set my peep and it’s good until I need a new string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SMOKYMTN

WKR
If I ever get a new string and the peep rotates then I send them back because something is wrong.

My peep never rotates until the string is getting worn out and starts to creep or stretch. You can add a twist to get it back where needed, but it will continue to move and be a problem. So it's time for a new set of quality threads.

Maybe I'm old school with regards to technology but years ago, the tightest a string was ever going to be was when it was new and every day thereafter it was going to stretch and the peep was going to settle. It was a very common experience.

Trial153

WKR
Maybe I'm old school with regards to technology but years ago, the tightest a string was ever going to be was when it was new and every day thereafter it was going to stretch and the peep was going to settle. It was a very common experience.
We are dealing with totally different materials the we were twenty years ago. At this point once the material is strcehed under tension it should be done for life of the string.

bwlacy

WKR
You are correct that is how it used to be in the 80's and early 90's. It doesn't have to be that way now. With quality string and cable materials and built properly they don't do that anymore. Once I have my new set installed and the bow in spec my peeps don't turn at all. There is no settle in currently with quality sets. Once my peep starts doing that it's time for a new one. They last for 1000's of shots with no peep movement as long as everything is done correctly including tying the peep in properly. If you tie the peep in wrong it can cause peep rotation.