Moving to either Utah or Colorado... OTC archery concerns

Have you looked at Golden or Arvada? Same drive time to DIA but closer to Interstate 70 which will get you to the ski areas and OTC units faster. Traffic will suck either way depending on what your used to.

rfc86

FNG
I skied this year in Park City for the first time and I thought it was amazing. Only 40 minute drive from Salt Lake. I was told by many other skiers and boarders that Alta is even better. The drive from Salt Lake to Grand Junction, CO in only 4.5 hours and a bunch of OTC Elk units in that area, The best of both worlds.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Ref UT. There are no over the counter deer tags. It's all draw. Elk units are split between OTC and draw only. The OTC units are busy. Yes you can get away from people (like the Uintas) but there is little true backcountry if you are comparing it to CO. Skiing in UT is amazing. And yes, Alta is the absolute best. If you are a boarder, sorry, no Alta for you (it's skiing only).

find a smaller airport in the areas you like. Lots of times you can get a charter flight that's not much more expensive than a commercial flight out of the smaller airports, and the once a month costs may be worth the convenience of living where you want.

otcWill

FNG
If politics are a deciding factor of where you'd like to live then I'd agree with the negative comments on CO. That said, it's not a factor for me and I love Colorado for its wilderness and hunting opportunities. I kill at least 4 species on public land, easy to draw hunts every year here and have easy access to WY for even more opportunities. I don't know much about SLC but I've got a friend that just moved there and he still comes to CO for much of his hunting if that tells you anything. A dedicated resident hunter here in CO will fill tags for whatever they draw. Simple as that

OP
P
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up signing a lease on a place in the Foothill area of SLC. I know it sounds nice to live in a smaller town and get a charter flight to a major airport, but that is simply not an option. Perhaps in the future my situation will change, and I'll find myself in Grand Junction.

I'll probably end up doing a lot of my hunting out of State still, but given the politics, population density, and other advantages of SLC over Denver, I think it will be a fair trade. Again, thank you to everyone that chimed in. I'm stoked!

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in the Denver area for a couple years. (Castle Rock). If you go to Denver I would try to get as far out on l70 as you can. I70 sucks and it makes hard to get out of Denver. Denver traffick is crazy now.

I was stationed in Utah for 8 years (Ogden). The OTC units can be tough but we had success. I have been gone for over 10 years so not sure how bad the OTC units have gotten. But you are close Idaho and Wyoming.

Best of luck. They are both great places.

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up signing a lease on a place in the Foothill area of SLC. I know it sounds nice to live in a smaller town and get a charter flight to a major airport, but that is simply not an option. Perhaps in the future my situation will change, and I'll find myself in Grand Junction.

I'll probably end up doing a lot of my hunting out of State still, but given the politics, population density, and other advantages of SLC over Denver, I think it will be a fair trade. Again, thank you to everyone that chimed in. I'm stoked!
Best of luck to you. Congratulations on your new adventure. I'm hoping to be less than 8 years behind you. ;)

Brough808

FNG

Welcome to Utah! Good luck and shoot straight!

Poser

WKR
Hit me up if you ever come over to the Western Slope of CO to snowboard and we’ll shred Silverton Mountain or up on the Continental Divide at Wolf Creek:

4277ea6bc34aac4c7f99dce3b8946eba.jpg

28013533e15f9c624daf207271aa1076.jpg

Sled

WKR
congrats on the move. i patrol at the only mtn still open in utah. it's a little further from where you are but 2 minutes closer on the way up and 45 minutes closer on the way down. shoot me a pm if you want some info on skiing resort/bc or hunting in the area.

Does Utah still have their wonky 3.2% beer laws?
You just need to consider all quality of life issues.

At a busy restaurant in Moab, I ordered two beers, cause I was thirsty and knew the first one was going to disappear fast.

The waitress brought back one and said "Sorry, state law only allows us to serve one drink at a time".

So my smartass stepdad goes "You're saying I can have 2 wives in Utah, but only one beer"?

and the whole section around us erupted in laughter.

except me, I was still thirsty. :(