Moving to Idaho soon.. Questions?..

dml1010

FNG
Hi, I'm looking to move to Idaho sometime this year and had a few questions that maybe some of you could help me out with if you're willing.

A little background:
I'm currently residing in the UNconstitution state of Connecticut, and basically have been fed up with all of the nonsense and b.s. that keeps coming down the pipe over here. So while I'm still young (24) and still have the opportunity, I've been looking/researching other states to move to over the last year or so which is how I can across this site. I've done literally hundreds of hours of research trying to decide where to go on the map and I've narrowed it down to Idaho as I feel it suits what I'm looking for the best. My girlfriend and I are going on vacation over memorial day week to go over there and check everything out before we make the commitment, and currently are looking to go to the Idaho Falls area, with the Lewiston area as a second (backup) choice. I have some questions about the Idaho Falls area that maybe some of you could help me out with.

1. I'm currently a machinist for a living, and my girlfriend works in the medical field. Is it feasible to find work in or around the ID Falls area in those fields of work? If not in ID Falls itself, then any surrounding area recommendations?

2. My passion is hunting (mostly bow) and fishing, it sounds like ID Falls is surrounded by a good quality of both. That being said, I would really like to live within a half an hour or so of some public hunting grounds/mountains, but I obviously also need to live close enough to wherever employment (businesses) may be. Is ID Falls itself close enough to hunting to accommodate both, or is there a surrounding town that may be a better fit? I currently drive an hour to work as it is so I'm not afraid to drive, but if I have a choice I would rather not if I can live close enough to both.

3. Lastly, how is the yearly weather in the area? As a New Englander, we get a little bit of everything from snow/sleet/ice, to hot and humid summers, and everything in between, so I'm not to worried about whatever the weather might be, but just curious.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

TheTone

WKR
As someone that has basically lived in both places, as a hunter and fisherman I prefer IF. Winter will be much, much more significant in Idaho Falls and Lewiston summers will be much hotter. If you want to fly fish for trout the Idaho falls area is really unreal. Lewiston is the type of place where most everything you have to drive an hour or two for IMO. I think the economies are kinda similar between them with Idaho Falls having some advantage due to the infrastructure of an interstate nearby, both also have decent medical fields. Many smaller towns around Idaho falls as well, such as Ririe, Iona, Rigby, Rexburg, St. Anthony, etc. Idaho falls also has more much more growth than the Lewiston area. One thing is Idaho Falls (and all of eastern Idaho) is pretty strongly LDS, that could be a negative to some, it can have an effect on some of the cultural things you are used to as well as relationships with coworkers, neighbors, etc.

elkguide

WKR
I'd lean towards IF too. Lots of surround areas that you could tap in to along with medical opportunities for the GF. The hunting opportunities are also not to far away. Time is a different perspective there than it is back East too. Everyone travels to do most things there.

SWOHTR

WKR
Lewiston has a paper plant that stinks up the entire valley, if that means anything to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lewiston does smell terrible!

I spent 5 years in New Haven for grad school. I hated that place. There are some good people in CT, and some good hunting, but it wasn't for me!

I grew up in Southern Idaho and went to college in just north of Lewiston. I'd love to move back to Idaho, but Lewiston and Idaho Falls would be among the last places I'd pick. There are much better places in Idaho IMO.

OP
D

dml1010

FNG
Lewiston does smell terrible!

I spent 5 years in New Haven for grad school. I hated that place. There are some good people in CT, and some good hunting, but it wasn't for me!

I grew up in Southern Idaho and went to college in just north of Lewiston. I'd love to move back to Idaho, but Lewiston and Idaho Falls would be among the last places I'd pick. There are much better places in Idaho IMO.

New Haven is definitely a dump, and the rest of the state is heading the same direction. As a bow hunter looking to move to some place in Idaho with elk, bear, and deer, and considering the girlfriend and I's lines of work, what would you recommend?

CorbLand

WKR
I couldn't tell you about the machinist job market in IF but there has to some jobs around similar. Getting a job in the medical field shouldn't be terrible. There are a couple good hospitals in IF and Rexburg as well.

IF would be a great place if you want to be close to hunting and fishing. There are plenty of units in that area that are decent and less than an hour drive. Fishing, well you have some of the best fishing that Idaho has to offer within an hour as well.

Weather isn't terrible there. Winter can be long and cold but get decent snow gear and you will be fine. It gets windy, Idaho is always windy and that makes it cold at times.

There is plenty of small towns around IF that would be within 20 minutes drive to IF but still gets you away from the crowds. Rigby, Iona and Shelley come to mind first. If you decide to take the jump and go there, let me know, I know a great real estate agent in the area.

IF itself is not overly exciting of place to visit but I would say stay a day or two and drive around see what it has to offer for you. It does provide an easy access to lots of different stuff within a short distance. Island Park and Yellowstone are 2 hours out. Jackson Hole is about the same. Theres some cool places around that area.

OP
D

dml1010

FNG
I couldn't tell you about the machinist job market in IF but there has to some jobs around similar. Getting a job in the medical field shouldn't be terrible. There are a couple good hospitals in IF and Rexburg as well.

IF would be a great place if you want to be close to hunting and fishing. There are plenty of units in that area that are decent and less than an hour drive. Fishing, well you have some of the best fishing that Idaho has to offer within an hour as well.

Weather isn't terrible there. Winter can be long and cold but get decent snow gear and you will be fine. It gets windy, Idaho is always windy and that makes it cold at times.

There is plenty of small towns around IF that would be within 20 minutes drive to IF but still gets you away from the crowds. Rigby, Iona and Shelley come to mind first. If you decide to take the jump and go there, let me know, I know a great real estate agent in the area.

IF itself is not overly exciting of place to visit but I would say stay a day or two and drive around see what it has to offer for you. It does provide an easy access to lots of different stuff within a short distance. Island Park and Yellowstone are 2 hours out. Jackson Hole is about the same. Theres some cool places around that area.

I would like to stick to machining if I have the option, but I'm also a certified welder and hold a class A CDL if I absolutely had to. We are going out there for a week to check out as much as possible, including the job market and possibly meeting with future employers if we can. We plan on renting for a year or so after we move until we are familiar with the area and have a better understanding of where we would actually like to buy a house. Definitely will check out the surrounding towns mentioned. Thanks.

dkynoch

FNG
I live in the Idaho Falls Area, St Anthony to be exact. I graduated from college with a degree in supply chain and I have stayed in Idaho because quite frankly why would I want to move. My job now is not exactly in my field of study, I work for one of the largest power sorts dealers in the area, but my drive to work is about 12 minutes of looking at the sun come up behind the Tetons, and my drive home staring at the mountains planning my next outdoor activity.

If you are a machinist I would think you should find a job pretty easy. One of the places I would look is working for the Idaho National Laboratory. It is a DOE site that does nuclear research and I would think they would need machinists. It can be quite the process to get on with them, but you could move out here and find a job to do in the meantime while you try to get on. There should also me quite a few medical jobs around here for your girlfriend to find one.

dkynoch

FNG
Also if you are into guns and are looking to move to Lewiston I would look into career possibilities with Seekins Precision. I hear they are growing like crazy and are having a hard time finding machinists to run their CNC equipment

OP
D

dml1010

FNG
Those are some of the things that inspired me to choose the area myself. Glad to hear some good news on manufacturing in the area. Thanks.

OP
D

dml1010

FNG
Also if you are into guns and are looking to move to Lewiston I would look into career possibilities with Seekins Precision. I hear they are growing like crazy and are having a hard time finding machinists to run their CNC equipment

I'm leaning a lot more towards IF, but if I do head towards Lewiston I will definitely check them out as I do have a love for firearms also. Actually one of the main reasons I'm leaving my current state is because of the ridiculous firearm regulations. Its hard to believe CT was the constitution state looking at where it is now.

I grew up in Pocatello and currently live in Idaho Falls. There are small differences between these two towns. Both are roughly the same size (60,000 ish). If being within a half hour or so of mountains and great archery hunting, then Pocatello would be a town to consider. The opportunities for a machinist job would be far greater with a large fertilizer plant and lots of jobs with the railroad. Medical field jobs would be easy to come by in IF or Pocatello.
There is mountains on three sides of Pocatello, and I miss this feature. It cuts down on the wind, and you can be in real mountains within minutes. There are ample fishing opportunities in both towns, I'd call it 6's.
I have never lived in Lewiston, only visited, so anything I could say about it could be very far from the truth. Good luck in your search.

OP
D

dml1010

FNG
I grew up in Pocatello and currently live in Idaho Falls. There are small differences between these two towns. Both are roughly the same size (60,000 ish). If being within a half hour or so of mountains and great archery hunting, then Pocatello would be a town to consider. The opportunities for a machinist job would be far greater with a large fertilizer plant and lots of jobs with the railroad. Medical field jobs would be easy to come by in IF or Pocatello.
There is mountains on three sides of Pocatello, and I miss this feature. It cuts down on the wind, and you can be in real mountains within minutes. There are ample fishing opportunities in both towns, I'd call it 6's.
I have never lived in Lewiston, only visited, so anything I could say about it could be very far from the truth. Good luck in your search.

Will keep that in mind for sure. Thanks.

The Boise area has a huge demand for machinists, we just had the owner of a company in Boise that has been traveling the state recruiting students still in school. He told use the Boise area is expected to hire 120+ machinists in the next year and the local school only puts out 22 students a year. I live up in Coeur d'Alene and several of the first year and second year students are already working as machinists at night while they go to school during the day. So the demand is pretty good statewide.

Here is a link Home

CorbLand

WKR
If you are a machinist I would think you should find a job pretty easy. One of the places I would look is working for the Idaho National Laboratory. It is a DOE site that does nuclear research and I would think they would need machinists. It can be quite the process to get on with them, but you could move out here and find a job to do in the meantime while you try to get on. There should also me quite a few medical jobs around here for your girlfriend to find one.

Was coming back to suggest looking here for a job.

OP
D

dml1010

FNG
The Boise area has a huge demand for machinists, we just had the owner of a company in Boise that has been traveling the state recruiting students still in school. He told use the Boise area is expected to hire 120+ machinists in the next year and the local school only puts out 22 students a year. I live up in Coeur d'Alene and several of the first year and second year students are already working as machinists at night while they go to school during the day. So the demand is pretty good statewide.

Here is a link Home

I did see a good amount of job postings for Boise and surrounding areas, but from my research Boise looks like a city surrounded by sage brush desert and not much in terms of mountains (maybe I'm wrong?). Coeur d'Alene was my third choice, and what set it behind was that it sounded like a lot harder winters than IF and Lewiston. Not that I mind snow, but sometimes that can make for a lot shorter hunting season depending on when it arrives. Glad to hear about a positive job outlook in the state though.

Imo Lewiston is kinda dumpy. The only thing I will add to this is: idaho wages suck....I mean suck! I went from $26 hour to $13 an hour when I moved here. Now, I have awesome benefits.....but my pay is rubbish. So be prepared for that shock. On the bright side, there are a significant amount of outdoors businesses located in idaho. It is a hard state to make it in though. Alot of folks move here to hunt/fish then have to leave because of money. Think of it like a southern Alaska of sorts...same deal.

Good luck

Cda and sandpoint are like little California. It is about 1.5 or so hours south of me and I dread the drive. I have to go down there for work fairly often.....it sucks. It has really grown recently aswell. Only thing Nice about cda is everything you want is nearby.