Moving to KC-- Missouri vs Kansas Hunting

Ben442

FNG
Hi all.

I just found out that I will be relocating for work in about 2 weeks from Ohio to Kansas City (for 4-5 months). This obviously ruins the deer plans I had for the season. I am scrambling and trying to find some new areas to hunt while I will be there. One major thing I was trying to decide is which state I wanted to hunt (Kansas or Missouri) to avoid paying for licenses in multiple states. Both states seemed to have about equal areas of public land with 1-2 hours of KC.

Can anyone familiar with the area shed some light on which way to go in terms of opportunity, season lengths, tag availability/cost, etc.? Will spend most of my time hunting weekends within a few hours of the city but also plan to take some longer trips to other areas of the state as well. Additionally I am primarily thinking about the deer hunting but the availability of other species could be a factor as well.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Ben

You have to draw Kansas. MO is OTC. That should make the answer easy for you. Lots of good public North of KC on the MO side. I lived there for a year for work and had good success hunting the public

OP
Ben442

Ben442

FNG
I guess I assumed both states were OTC for whitetail. That does make the decision easy!

Thanks for the response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I assumed both states were OTC for whitetail. That does make the decision easy!

Thanks for the response

I believe it is OTC for Mule deer/ Whitetail and antelope in Kansas. Their deer prices are substantially higher than MO for NR. A NR can buy 2 archery deer and turkey tags in Missouri for $255, OTC. I think it is double that to apply as a NR for Kansas.

If I had to move again, I would definitely live on the Kansas side of the line simply for the hunting opportunity. Kansas WIHA program opens a lot of public up, especially as you go further west. PM if you have any questions or housing concerns with the KC area.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
Whitetail tags are over the counter IF you are a KS resident. If you would be a MO resident, the KS tag would be by draw in April I believe.

OP
Ben442

Ben442

FNG
I wont be claiming residency in either state since its a temporary assignment. Sounds like MO is the answer. Thanks for the replys

skeen

FNG
Lots of good public hunting in MO. I'm a KS resident but always bow and rifle hunt MO. That is, after filling my KS tag, which I almost always do by the 3rd week of September.

Joshs74

FNG
Late reply here. Did you decide on a spot? I live in Overland Park (KS) and I wish I was on the Missouri side. MO has national forest, even had a limited elk hunt this year. I believe there’s also a bear season. Also, you’ll get more for your money buying a house in MO. Kansas has lots of walk in areas, but that’s about it other than private or lease ground.

OP
Ben442

Ben442

FNG
Missouri is where I had planned on hunting this fall based on the feedback. Found out a couple weeks after posting that I will be working every other weekend. Between that and visiting home at least once a month there wasn’t much time to hunt the area so I passed up buying tags

Missouri is where I had planned on hunting this fall based on the feedback. Found out a couple weeks after posting that I will be working every other weekend. Between that and visiting home at least once a month there wasn’t much time to hunt the area so I passed up buying tags

Bummer! You just here for a short time?

OP
Ben442

Ben442

FNG
Bummer! You just here for a short time?

Not necessarily a short time but temporary.

I got to KC in October and I’m supposed to be here for most part until September 21’