Moving to Nashville - advice?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Work is moving me to Nashville at the end of July. Guess I’ll have to figure out a whole new set of hunting grounds! For any central Tennessee folk:

My work is in Brentwood and I’ll be flying weekly. For that reason I want to live south of the city. Brentwood, Franklin, and belle meade are out of my price range, so that leaves Antioch. How’s Antioch?

How’s crowding on public lands within 90 minutes of Nashville? Are a lot of people private/lease hunters, or do the public lands get super crowded?

How’s the overall friendliness of public land hunters? Hunted South Georgia last year and didn’t run into a single unpleasant person. Everyone was super friendly, helpful, and honest. People respected first come first serve and left you to yourself if you beat them to “their spot”. Hoping Tennessee is the same

Duck hunting - it seems that most obvious duck holes are on blind draw systems. Are these worth it? I’d prefer to stay away from these as it seems like they have the blinds like 100y apart and I know how annoying a skybusting neighbor is. If there’s plenty of hunting to be had without these draw blinds, that’s my preference, but it seems these draw blinds are almost a necessity.

Any other advice anyone wants to give to someone new to the area would be greatly appreciated (hunting or not). I’d love to meet some people when I get up there.

Nashville sucks. Good luck finding reasonable housing. Lots of public ground around the area. I don’t duck hunt, but the draws on blinds just changed and I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. If you want a site more specific to Tn, check out tndeer.com, not to be confused with the idiots on FB. I’m about 70 miles east of Nashville.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Nashville sucks. Good luck finding reasonable housing. Lots of public ground around the area. I don’t duck hunt, but the draws on blinds just changed and I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. If you want a site more specific to Tn, check out tndeer.com, not to be confused with the idiots on FB. I’m about 70 miles east of Nashville.
I spent a summer there as an intern with the company and thought it was decent. Housing is actually significantly cheaper than my current location of Naples, FL. Looking like I’ll keep about $500/month in my pocket for a bigger house on more land. I’ll check out the site, thanks!

Work is moving me to Nashville at the end of July. Guess I’ll have to figure out a whole new set of hunting grounds! For any central Tennessee folk:

My work is in Brentwood and I’ll be flying weekly. For that reason I want to live south of the city. Brentwood, Franklin, and belle meade are out of my price range, so that leaves Antioch. How’s Antioch?

How’s crowding on public lands within 90 minutes of Nashville? Are a lot of people private/lease hunters, or do the public lands get super crowded?

How’s the overall friendliness of public land hunters? Hunted South Georgia last year and didn’t run into a single unpleasant person. Everyone was super friendly, helpful, and honest. People respected first come first serve and left you to yourself if you beat them to “their spot”. Hoping Tennessee is the same

Duck hunting - it seems that most obvious duck holes are on blind draw systems. Are these worth it? I’d prefer to stay away from these as it seems like they have the blinds like 100y apart and I know how annoying a skybusting neighbor is. If there’s plenty of hunting to be had without these draw blinds, that’s my preference, but it seems these draw blinds are almost a necessity.

Any other advice anyone wants to give to someone new to the area would be greatly appreciated (hunting or not). I’d love to meet some people when I get up there.

Born and raised about a half hour east of Nashville, and personally am tiered of the number of people moving into town. That being said I’m in residential contracting so it’s a necessary evil for me. If you need to be close to the airport I’d look at Hermitage, Mt. Juliet, and Lebanon. Lower crime than Antioch (which is an area of town I typically avoid), and with the exception of hermitage you get more bang for your buck in housing. The housing market here is insane if you have the frame of reference that I do. Though depending on where you’re at now it may appear cheap.

Public land is small tract and generally crowded, but for the most part everyone is amicable. Not a ton of trophy potential but for a meat hunter like me it’s doable.

I was hardcore in ducks for most of my youth but have done little duck hunting locally the last 5 years. It’s sad almost how bad it can be. The duck scene here is where the ass hats reside, and it eventually just wasn’t worth the effort, but I still participate in the draws for the opportunity to go.

I personally live in Lebanon and work in Franklin, Brentwood and most of the greater Nashville area, the commute isn’t horrible but can be a headache if your used to light traffic.

Overall Nashville(middle Tennessee) is fantastic, and there are very few places I’d rather live, but the area has exploded in the last 5 years and the growing pains are something to be reckoned with.

I’m a GC on the side and work with most of the homebuilders in town at my day job, so feel free to reach out if you are looking at newer homes and I’ll give you an unbiased opinion on the quality of their product if it’s someone I’m familiar with.

Good luck with the move and be prepared to get into a bidding war on housing. If I can be of any help just let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m born and raised in Mid Tn. Currently live and work in Brentwood.

I haven’t done a ton of public land hunting around here. Ive spent some time hunting public land ducks in west TN. The middle TN waterfowl is pretty bad, not worth your time unless you just want to see a duck or two in the sky.

As far as other game on public the few WMAS close to Nashville have some restrictions that make them harder to use like quotas or weekdays only and things. I’ve looked into it some over the last 5 years. There are some about hour out of the city with less restrictions. Can’t speak to the traffic or the people.

Housing market is completely insane. Antioch is close to where I live and it’s changing like everywhere else because it’s more affordable, as you’ve figured out. Historically it’s been lower income and higher crime. But I’m sure you can find pockets there where you will enjoy it. It’s a supply and demand issue right now, as is everywhere.

DM me if you want to talk more.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Born and raised about a half hour east of Nashville, and personally am tiered of the number of people moving into town. That being said I’m in residential contracting so it’s a necessary evil for me. If you need to be close to the airport I’d look at Hermitage, Mt. Juliet, and Lebanon. Lower crime than Antioch (which is an area of town I typically avoid), and with the exception of hermitage you get more bang for your buck in housing. The housing market here is insane if you have the frame of reference that I do. Though depending on where you’re at now it may appear cheap.

Public land is small tract and generally crowded, but for the most part everyone is amicable. Not a ton of trophy potential but for a meat hunter like me it’s doable.

I was hardcore in ducks for most of my youth but have done little duck hunting locally the last 5 years. It’s sad almost how bad it can be. The duck scene here is where the ass hats reside, and it eventually just wasn’t worth the effort, but I still participate in the draws for the opportunity to go.

I personally live in Lebanon and work in Franklin, Brentwood and most of the greater Nashville area, the commute isn’t horrible but can be a headache if your used to light traffic.

Overall Nashville(middle Tennessee) is fantastic, and there are very few places I’d rather live, but the area has exploded in the last 5 years and the growing pains are something to be reckoned with.

I’m a GC on the side and work with most of the homebuilders in town at my day job, so feel free to reach out if you are looking at newer homes and I’ll give you an unbiased opinion on the quality of their product if it’s someone I’m familiar with.

Good luck with the move and be prepared to get into a bidding war on housing. If I can be of any help just let me know

Thank you! Much appreciated!

I’ve lived in Nashville my whole life, in the last 4 years my house in Franklin has doubled in value, lots of people from California and Chicago seem to be moving here… I would personally avoid Antioch. Spring Hill and even Columbia are affordable areas south of town… as far as hunting, I’ve deer and turkey hunted on many of the public areas and they can be crowded but if you can get away during the week the pressure goes way down. I’m happy to share some info on WMAs if you message me. Duck hunting doesn’t get good until you go to the western part of the state.

LostArra

WKR
Take your drivers license to the liquor store.
I'll be 70 on my next birthday and I couldn't buy beer when visiting my daughter.

The Hot Chicken is over-rated but you might as well try it just to say you did.
All the BBQ I had there and Memphis was very good.