Moving to Rapid City for 10 weeks

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys looking for pointers on what to take to rapid city for a 10 week assignment at the regional hospital. I just put a new scope on the 300 that I need to get sighted in for October and will also be taking my bow. Any good public areas to shoot freely or is that regulated heavily and better to go to a set public range? I keep regular rods in my truck at all times but do I need to bring fly rods? Any camp ground recommendations (We travel in a travel trailer)? Kinda worried with sturgis around the corner but I feel we may have better odds getting a camp site this year. I’ve been through that area a few times but have never stayed the night. I know it’s a lot but I just got the go ahead today and start next Monday. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Can shoot any where that is public blasting prairie dogs is always good practice. Can catch fish with regular gear. Cant help on camp grounds but i bet sturgis is as busy as ever. Im sure there is a couple good places to shoot archery.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thank you, I forgot about prairie dogs. I’ve always wanted to do that.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Sodak, enjoy your stay. Camping reservations are filling up now that the rally is officially a go.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Just booked a spot so we’re all set had to do 2 separate parks but oh well.

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds like a cool way to do travel nursing.

My wife and I have discussed it, but I'm no kid and we have six more years before we could do it.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a cool way to do travel nursing.

My wife and I have discussed it, but I'm no kid and we have six more years before we could do it.

We really enjoy it, we’ve seen more in 2.5 years then we would’ve our whole life. I bought the camper because it saves a lot vs renting/Airbnb and you get something in the end. It almost paid for itself with 8 months by Lake Tahoe alone.

Fatcamp

WKR
Hotel rooms and ABB are OK, but I think your way is far preferable. Having all your living supplies and outdoor equipment sounds like a great plan.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
No doubt the camper is the best option. I think our only negative experience was hookers and homeless trying to steal stuff in Vegas at the camp ground. The only thing negative on travel nursing is not knowing where you’ll be next. If everything went as planned I would’ve been in AK until October so I missed out on tag opportunities. I just did preference points since I got a KY Elk tag and didn’t plan on being in the lower 48. Pretty upsetting that I’ll be right by WY and in SD for almost all of September now. I know there’s some good opportunities in Nebraska so we’ll see.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, SD made a mess of NR archery deer. Too bad. Are you gonna work 3 12's? Cardiology?

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
3 12s we’re both ER nurses.

3 12s we’re both ER nurses.

I’m an ER nurse as well, I’ll be living an hour outside of Rapid City to guide mule deer this fall but am thinking of picking up a travel contract once season is done. If you don’t mind me asking, which hospital are you working at?

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I worked at monument. My last shift on contract in Missouri is tomorrow then I’m leaving for Alaska.

Fatcamp

WKR
Still following. We have researched travel nursing extensively at this point. Trying to decide which field to move into when my two years in med surg are up.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Look up places you want to go on Vivian nursing. It shows the different pay quotes from several companies for the same job. You can bid the companies against each other based off what Vivian is showing. A lot of your experience will have to do with whether or not you get a good recruiter. These people are worse then used car dealers. One of my friends just started out and she got a company to raise her weekly pay $700 a week based off her showing them that 2 other companies were $900/week higher on Vivian. Thankfully she ended up using one of the other companies. Your company takes 19-30% of the bill rate. Some take more and some take less. Shop around and don’t be afraid to walk away there’s hundreds of companies. Trusted and Nomad are top paying because you don’t have a recruiter and you do all the leg work. If you have any questions contact me. Also there’s an $1800+ week travel nursing page on Facebook.