Moving to WY

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Moving in a few weeks. I understand it takes a full year to be able to buy a resident tag, so not sure what my options will be for this fall since I just learned I will be moving there a couple weeks ago. Am I a SOL for this season and basically start planning for next or are there possibilities to hunt elk this year that maybe I’m not aware of? I’ve been all over the WYGF planning site and doesn’t seem to be any, but thought I’d ask. Western state regs are confusing, by design it seems. Pumped to move just would like to hunt in 2020. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Scoutman

FNG
Can you not by a nonresident tag before you get your Wyoming drivers license?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Ranger 692

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
I must’ve missed that list, it appears any unit close to me is sold out for this season. Thanks guys

Can you not by a nonresident tag before you get your Wyoming drivers license?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You can buy a nonresident tag with a WY drivers license just fine. Did it last year. Hunted NR in WY and CO. It was expensive!

I got all 7 WY tags this year for less than my CO elk tag last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Ranger 692

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Well welcome to Sheridan!! Let me know if i can help in any way.

I will do that, thank you sir! The family is excited about move and I can’t wait to explore all the hunting/fishing opportunities there. Hoping the move goes smoothly for us.

What sucks for you is (I believe) you have to be living there a year before you APPLY so that takes out next year's draw also since you're not moving for a few more weeks. I think you can legally pickup a General tag though since they go on sale later. I'm sure somebody will correct me if wrong.

JLDemo

FNG
You'll miss the draw next year but general tags will be available OTC as well as leftovers. Went through the same situation when I moved to Wyo the first time. General tags are not a bad thing!

Welcome we moved to Sheridan Last year and love it. If you need anything let me know. You are sol this year I'm in the same boat this year you will be next year. No draws but can get general and leftover tags.

OP
Ranger 692

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome we moved to Sheridan Last year and love it. If you need anything let me know. You are sol this year I'm in the same boat this year you will be next year. No draws but can get general and leftover tags.

Thanks I will! Can’t wait, kids are excited too.

wyosam

WKR
Your plan for 2020 is to either find a friend to go tag along with, or take a camera and go hunting. Don’t skip the “hunt” just because you don’t have a tag- get out there and learn the country and the animals.

Your plan for 2020 is to either find a friend to go tag along with, or take a camera and go hunting. Don’t skip the “hunt” just because you don’t have a tag- get out there and learn the country and the animals.

Great point, a free scouting year to ensure better success in 2021.

OP
Ranger 692

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider

Great suggestion, I think that’s what I’m going to do.

There should be some cow tags available right?

The leftover list was dramatically different this year. Planned to scoop up a random whitetail tag for the eastern plains just to mess around in December. Even those were gone. Last year there were a couple hundred until the season was almost over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk