MR Bottle pocket on a Kifaru

millsms

FNG
Just wondering what you guys used if anything to carry a gun on your timberlines? I like the bottle pocket accessory on and MR pack and looks like you could add that to the PAL on the kifaru for the butt of the rifle? anyone tried anything like this?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I tried to like it, but never can get over the gun barrel in my grill while I hike so I went with the corral gunslinger. Quick to get to while the pack is on and rides behind my out of my vision. :D

swat8888

WKR
I love the gun bearer....although as Luke mentioned depending on your setup the scope can tend to keep knocking you in the face and its a bit of a pain taking the rifle out every time you set the pack down. But despite that, its amazing how fast you can release and have the rifle ready to shoot and it is far better than strapping it to the back of your pack. Never heard of the corral gunslinger, maybe that addresses some of the gunbearer issues.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Swat, here is the corral gunslinger mounted on my Barney's pack, I have it mounted the same way on my Kifaru pack now

IMGP0665.jpg

Only thing that I would imagine problems arising for myself with either of those systems is my gun weighs 12.5 lbs. That much weight on either side of my pack I think will start to put more stress on either side of my body. The grab-it with utilizing the top compression strap on my T1 will carry my rifle fine for now and when hunting I'll use my sling...

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Only thing that I would imagine problems arising for myself with either of those systems is my gun weighs 12.5 lbs. That much weight on either side of my pack I think will start to put more stress on either side of my body. The grab-it with utilizing the top compression strap on my T1 will carry my rifle fine for now and when hunting I'll use my sling...

Mike

True Mike, that rifle there now weighs in at an honest 5.5 pounds. I put my spotter and tripod on the other side of my pack to balance the weight out. I did the strapping the rifle to the pack like you mentioned for years, worked great, only missed out on an easy shot on a black bear due to not being able to access the rifle in time. Otherwise quick access to the rifle has been a non-issue. There we did hear a bear growling/growning in the alders on a hike Becca and I did up near (not in) Denali National Park and it was nice to grab the rifle and jam one in the chamber in one fell swoop, just in case. :D

True Mike, that rifle there now weighs in at an honest 5.5 pounds. I put my spotter and tripod on the other side of my pack to balance the weight out. I did the strapping the rifle to the pack like you mentioned for years, worked great, only missed out on an easy shot on a black bear due to not being able to access the rifle in time. Otherwise quick access to the rifle has been a non-issue. There we did hear a bear growling/growning in the alders on a hike Becca and I did up near (not in) Denali National Park and it was nice to grab the rifle and jam one in the chamber in one fell swoop, just in case. :D

Exactly, having quick access to a firearm is the reason why I usually pack a pistol with me on my chest strap when I'm solo (I'm a faster runner than my huntin partner haha). Its extra weight but that sense of security is 2nd to none. Right now however I'm waiting to put together a 300 Ultra with a relatively short barrel, launching 210 Bergers weighing in sup 9 lbs with optics... Least thats the plan however!

Mike

Exactly, having quick access to a firearm is the reason why I usually pack a pistol with me on my chest strap when I'm solo (I'm a faster runner than my huntin partner haha). Its extra weight but that sense of security is 2nd to none. Right now however I'm waiting to put together a 300 Ultra with a relatively short barrel, launching 210 Bergers weighing in sup 9 lbs with optics... Least thats the plan however!

Mike

you really like heavy guns huh ;)

you really like heavy guns huh ;)

I do lol
I actually just want to build rifles that won't start walking after the barrel heats up. My current set-up is also my competition rifle and it will often see 20 rounds in under 120 seconds, it needs to be able to take some heat... ;)

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
How many animals you shooting and man?? All I need is a rifle that won't start walking on me after 4-5 shots which is all the magazine holds. :D

OP
millsms

millsms

FNG
Luke, so no problem with it fitting on the T1 waist belt? also the snap to hold the rifle hasn't loosened over time?

Ha well its really tough to go from a gun thats <.25 MOA to one thats MOA or close... not saying you can't do a lot better than that with a factory gun just that I want as much accuracy as possible. Which more often than not leads to a heavier weight. I usually tell ppl you don't need anything better than .5-.75 MOA to kill an animal out there at distance. I need to take my own advice apparently lol

Mike

swat8888

WKR
At least the gunslinger keeps the rifle low, very nice when on your knees through alders....although I'd prefer the gunbearer over it based on the accessibility. Although I'll have a bow this year....back to in accessibility. Wishing I'd thought more about taking a sidearm for bear protection, oh well hopefully I live to address that next year...lol.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
At least the gunslinger keeps the rifle low, very nice when on your knees through alders....although I'd prefer the gunbearer over it based on the accessibility. Although I'll have a bow this year....back to in accessibility. Wishing I'd thought more about taking a sidearm for bear protection, oh well hopefully I live to address that next year...lol.

Ever actually used both the gunbearer or the gunslinger?? Both are great for accessibility. Both are great for going through the alders with, if great and alders can be in the same sentence ever!!! I can access my rifle plenty fast in the gun slinger and not have to admire my gun barrel all day either. :D

swat8888

WKR
Yeah I have the gunbearer, never used the slinger, just looks less accessible.....based on no experience whatsoever.