MR Cabinet or Metcalf

I am interested in a pack that I can haul my tree stands as well as use for a 2-4 day elk hunting and daypack. I am aware of the Metcalf but stumbled on to the Cabinet and it seems very similar to the new Kifaru Stryker that is getting so much hype but cost significantly less.

What does anyone think of these two MR Packs?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had both and they both would work for what you describe.

Cabinet is a fine idea. Big hauler frame with a daypack and load shelf. I think they do fine as a daypack (I now have a pop up which I prefer. Loaded with bulky and or heavy items like a stand or a bag o meat, they work great too. As a general backpack with a camp bag on the load shelf, they can work. The straps require a lot of effort to get in and out of the camp bag and my loads shifted a bit more than I liked requiring readjustment. After a couple of trips I decided to go in another direction for a general use bag although I still keep my cabinet around as a trainer and loaner and have used it to haul stands and other bulky items.

Metcalf is one of the best jack of all trades packs out there. It will work a lot better as a general hunting pack and it is small enough to work as a day pack. It will haul your stand strapped to the outside.

For my $$$ I would go Metcalf. I would expect to see some fairly cheap in the coming months when MR rolls out the 2020 packs, which I have heard will include an updated frame for the Metcalf.

aussieJT

FNG
I have had both and they both would work for what you describe.

Cabinet is a fine idea. Big hauler frame with a daypack and load shelf. I think they do fine as a daypack (I now have a pop up which I prefer. Loaded with bulky and or heavy items like a stand or a bag o meat, they work great too. As a general backpack with a camp bag on the load shelf, they can work. The straps require a lot of effort to get in and out of the camp bag and my loads shifted a bit more than I liked requiring readjustment. After a couple of trips I decided to go in another direction for a general use bag although I still keep my cabinet around as a trainer and loaner and have used it to haul stands and other bulky items.

Metcalf is one of the best jack of all trades packs out there. It will work a lot better as a general hunting pack and it is small enough to work as a day pack. It will haul your stand strapped to the outside.

For my $$$ I would go Metcalf. I would expect to see some fairly cheap in the coming months when MR rolls out the 2020 packs, which I have heard will include an updated frame for the Metcalf.
Great summary- thanks for this info I found it super helpful!

I've had two MR cabinets I actually used one very similar to how the Stryker is used. I used a dry sack and carried it on the load shelf of the cabinet and that was my camp bag. I enjoy the versatility of the cabinet and the ability to haul big loads or use it as a day pack. I'll be posting one of the cabinets to the classifieds sometime in the future.