MR Daypack lid on NICE frame

elkyinzer

WKR
Hello all, don’t do much posting because I never have too much to contribute being a weekend warrior Easterner, but Rokslide has always been a great resource for me in learning the ways of Western hunting.

Anyway I received my MR Crew Cab yesterday and so far I love the pack, major upgrade over my old Kelty in versatility and comfort.

I know people jump on the MR because of the weight but I beat the crap out of things and see the added durability as a legit tradeoff. I don’t think my wife will sign off on another $700 pack purchase for another decade or three.

I’m going on a hunt in Idaho with my dad and he also needs a pack. He does not like the larger framed packs but he needs something that can haul a load out and act as a daypack as we will be truck hunting but getting a couple miles back in. So I think the NICE frame is a possibility for him. I know the combo daypack/hauler is a widely debated topic and that is exactly what he needs so feel free to put some other options out there for us. I know the Longbow or Metcalf are solid but those are just a little more than is needed for a pure daypack with no intentions of ever camping out of, so I thought a cheaper option is a possibility. I had an idea I don’t see any other discussion about...

I started playing around with my frame and was able to snap the MR daypack lid into the NICE frame (see pic) and it was a pretty solid setup for a daypack, although it didn’t cinch down super tight, that should be a pretty easy fix. The one thing it lacked in that system was a shelf to hold everything in place. Has anyone ever used a similar setup i.e. built your own meat shelf for use with daypack lid; or built your own daypack for use with the NICE frame? frame and daypack - rokslide.jpg

From your info the MR longbow with the lift kit sounds about right. Its only 2300cu/in. You will have a great day hunting bag and be able to use it in a meat shelf mode for hauling out meat. Google MR longbow and look at the images there are lots of examples of the bag being used in this fashion.

This link also shows some good pics of the longbow in a meat shelf mode.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=366127&forum=36

Another option is go with the load sling and just use a couple bags for storing day hunting gear.

Last edited:
The Longbow is about perfect for what you are describing. You don't need a meat shelf either. I've seen a few Longbows going on various classifieds, I'm sure you could find one.

I think just using a frame and daypack lid would be very limiting in terms of functionality. Where are you keeping your water, layers, etc?

Backstrap

FNG
MR Longbow will definitely fit the bill. A Badlands 2200 would as well if budget is bigger concern.

How about a load sling and a daypack combo? They used to sell the load sling for about $65.