MR MetCalf for Sheep Hunting

Dust1n

FNG
I search the forum to see if anyone has used the MetCalf for Sheep Hunting and couldn’t find much.

I’m looking at the Mystery Ranch MetCalf (71L) for a 7-8 day Sheep Hunt.

Has anyone got experience with the MetCalf for Hunting for that long of a duration in the mountains?

Any things you liked or didn’t like? (Besides the weight)

Lots of people were going towards the beartooth but If I were taking that big of a weight penalty I should be looking at a SG or EXO.

Just looking to hear real experiences not websites descriptions, Thanks!

I have last years Metcalf. It’s so comfy i don’t mind the weight, and that extra weight makes it bullet proof for those times when you bull through a thicket or fall over backwards. i carry the 40 L dry bag folded up in the meat shelf area. With that it becomes a 100 L pack if needed. It’s great when you get an animal down for packin out .the meat, but also you could use the dry bag /meat shelf combo any number of other ways too. Heavy duty cargo straps on th side, top and across the back allow you to strap on vast quantities of crap. The two compartment lid holds a ton of stuff.

dislikes...I wish it had 1-2 more exterior pockets. that can be solved by adding molle pockets to the waist band.

I have the Metcalf, going on my 4th year. Agree with everything EastHumboldt said above.
Most comfortable pack I have owned and I have struggled with other brands for pack fitment. Have pack game with it and it excelled in the dept. for me. What sold me was it was easy to use as a day pack and easy to switch to packing heavy loads, the versatility factor. It is high on my gear list for ROI - return on investment.

The following is not a problem on 2020 and later models with the guide lite MT frame. They come with PALS webbing integral to the waistband. If you get a deal on a pack with the older guide lite frame, it has this minor waistband shortcoming.

The waistband shortcoming I forgot to mention is pouch attachment on the 2019 model with the old guide lite frame. It doesn't have PALS webbing so any pouch you attach goes onto the 1.5" waist strap. The pouch will stay in place mostly when the waistband is snugged up, but flops all over the place otherwise. The fix for this: I bought a pair of PALS webbing sleeves from another forum member (Rugged Stitching) that slide over te padded wiastband. now the waistband will accept any molle pouch, and the mount is very secure.

Last edited:
I ran one for a while. Not sheep hunting but some longish trips. It works fine. I upgraded to a beartooth to get the new frame and that is a pack worth looking at. It is a bit bigger than a Metcalf and has some organization.

my favorite MR design is the terraplane. Basically the Metcalf with two long pockets on the back. They have a version with a meat shelf in the pair hiking line Called the terra frame 80. Backpackers have been using that bag for long haul hiking for decades.

Ram94

WKR
I had a Metcalf on the old NICE frame and put it through the ringer for sheep and elk in Alberta. Was able to squeeze 9 days into it for an early season sheep trip but that was pushing it. Used a dry bag on the meatshelf for food on the way in. Came out heavy on that trip.

I've since bought a Beartooth on the MT frame and couldn't be happier. Perfect size for 7-10 days and the new frame is phenomenal.

Yes I use a Metcalf for sheep hunting, 7-8 days is defiantly fine in the pack. I put some of my consumables in the load shelf area and stash stuff along the way. I don't know the details of your gear but all mine fits fine. I was 46 lbs solo for 4 days solo hunt (no water). add another 10-12 lbs of gear and food for a 8 day hunt but that's my gear and WX dependent.

LivinGood

FNG
Metcalf on guide lite frame. It'll work for a week long sheep hunt but you'll be at max capacity on the way out with a ram. In this pic the pack is loaded with all my gear plus 1/2 a ram for the trip out. I did not employ the load shelf because with all my gear in the bag it moves to much weight away from center. Not comfortable for a 9 mile pack out. I switched to a SG 6900 now. Still use the Metcalf for other stuff though as its a great little pack.
Met.jpg

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the Metcalf on two successful sheep hunts, both in the 10-12 range. As mentioned above it will be maxed out on the pack out but when you have a ram on your back nothing else matters. Pack smart and away you go