MR Metcalf or Beartooth 80

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Good call. You'll be happy you chose the Metcalf. Very practical pack. I have the Beartooth 80 but likes others have said it's more of a 5 day bag and the U shaped zipper setup can be a pain.
Are you saying you can't compress the Beartooth down for say 2-3 trips? To much extra fabric that makes it sloppy I'm guessing for lighter loads.

Are you saying you can't compress the Beartooth down for say 2-3 trips? To much extra fabric that makes it sloppy I'm guessing for lighter loads.

I actually looked at it on other threads and you absolutely can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
You can and I do just not worthwhile if you don't really need it...also bigger pack ends up being filled with unnecessary items

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to be straight up. If you're only using this for a day or two, you're doing yourself a disservice. It's too much pack. It 100 percent can be done, but you're going to have to cinch the ever living hell out of it. You're going to have to pretty much fold the top of the pack over onto itself and cinch the bottom of the pack damn near flat so that everything isn't sitting low. The Beartooth is 100 percent an outstanding pack for what it's intended to be which is a middle ground between the Metcalf and Marshall. If i could only have one it would be the metcalf. With a bigger pack, you're going to have a rough time getting the weight balanced right without filling it up.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
You can and I do just not worthwhile if you don't really need it...also bigger pack ends up being filled with unnecessary items
Fully aware of that, I'm just asking from the sense of one pack is all. I can get 5 days out of my Selway right now Spring through early Fall, but I"m not the biggest fan of it's configuration. It works alright, but I'd prefer a bit more traditional pack. I'm honestly leaning towards the Metcalf, the Beartooth intrigues more for the "what if" hunt. Just curious more than anything.

If anyone is interested, I am selling my MR Metcalf (2019) size M. I used it last fall on my WY archery elk hunt. Its an outstanding pack but due to recent economic circumstances, I need to sell some of my hunting stuff. I paid $525 on black ovis and have the receipt. The pack is in excellent condition and has no issues. I will be posting to classifieds in the next day or two. I'd be willing to part with it for $350 and cover the shipping. PM me if interested and I can provide pictures as well as receipt. The pack is multicam.

Got my Beartooth in today. Thing is big. Will be perfect for family trips and longer hunting weekends. It compresses down just fine for a day pack as well. What I may do also is pick up a Pintler bag only option for day hunts or smaller trips. Heard it’s a great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMag338

WKR
According to the MR website, the Terraframes use a lighter cordura than their hunting counterparts. Can anyone comment on how the hiking versions (Terraframes) hold up compared to the Marshall's and Metcalfs?

According to the MR website, the Terraframes use a lighter cordura than their hunting counterparts. Can anyone comment on how the hiking versions (Terraframes) hold up compared to the Marshall's and Metcalfs?

The Terraframe packs might as well be in the hunting lineup also, I have two, they are the same exact frame they just gave it a different name for the backpacking community and the I haven’t had an issues in the fabric. The 2019 models actually had a better meat shelf set up than the hunting lineup because you didn’t have to undo the load lifters it was just a buckle like they all are now.

I swapped my Metcalf for a beartoooth this year. I like the updated frame. Pack is ,ind if a push. You get an extra 10L but lose the ability to overstuff the snow collar so capacity is roughly equal. It really comes down to panel loader vs top loader. When I started backpacking in the 90s zippers weren’t what they are today so most serious packs were top loaders for durability. I think today the zipper tech makes that far less of an issue. The beartooth zipper is set up so you can just unzip it part way and access the top or you can go full suit case. I like it and the pockets for organization so I am happy with the upgrade.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
The Terraframe packs might as well be in the hunting lineup also, I have two, they are the same exact frame they just gave it a different name for the backpacking community and the I haven’t had an issues in the fabric. The 2019 models actually had a better meat shelf set up than the hunting lineup because you didn’t have to undo the load lifters it was just a buckle like they all are now.

Good to know. I just ordered a Terraframe 80 yesterday on sale. Pretty excited to try it out, it should be a step up from the el cheapo packs I’ve used in the past.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I had this same dilemma for a while. I've had several MR bags but they were all for military applications. The Marshall has been my all time favorite bag but I wanted something for personal use that wouldn't be overloaded all the time. I said screw it and got the BT80. I have an upcoming 10 day Alaska Archery hunt (assuming the fall hunts aren't cancelled) and needed the space. It'll likely end up being too much bag for 99% of what I do. I'm hoping this is the last bag I have to buy for a while. I'm thinking I'll buy a Mule bag and swap that onto the frame for day hunts. My friend runs that setup and it's perfect for east coast whitetail