MR metcalf or Kuiu Icon

Midwestern hunter here who does 1 backcountry hunt/yr and if my wife is really awesome sometimes 2. Metcalf is on sale now at Sheels for $375, but lacks a lot of pockets and dual side entry. Prefer the Kuiu 5200 but I can’t find one and I will need 9 more posts until I can get one here. You think I should pull there trigger on the Metcalf or look at getting the icon 6000 even though it’s a little bigger than i need? Also, $550 is my top end budget.

nowen22

FNG
I love my metcalf. Bulletproof and comfortable with a heavy load. That is a smokin deal and I would take advantage of it. I've never had a problem with a lack of pockets. In my mind it just seems like the more pockets you have, the more places things can accidentally fall out.

Does the Metcalf come with a Guide Light MT frame? This would be my suggestion if so. I'm currently running a Beartooth and a Pintler on that frame and it's about perfect. I used to have a Metcalf but sold it to upgrade to the newer frame. I liked my KUIU but it was a squeaky sumbitch, so I sold it on here a couple years ago.

OP
B
Does the Metcalf come with a Guide Light MT frame? This would be my suggestion if so. I'm currently running a Beartooth and a Pintler on that frame and it's about perfect. I used to have a Metcalf but sold it to upgrade to the newer frame. I liked my KUIU but it was a squeaky sumbitch, so I sold it on here a couple years ago.
Yes, I did confirm it is the Guide Lite MT frame.

I'm a midwestern hunter with a Kuiu Icon Pro. I really like the pack to haul gear and equipment, but haven't hauled quarters with it yet. I tried the Metcalf in a store with sandbags and it didn't feel all that comfortable in comparison to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

TravisIN

WKR
Same here, Midwest guy doing one trip out west a year. I had the metcalf with GL frame the last couple years and like it. Nothing bad to say about it. I have the new kuiu frame and bags now. For training hikes the kuiu handles the weight better and is more comfortable. One benefit I really like with the kuiu is the bag options. I put on the 1850 for whitetail and turkey at home. The frame is great for packing stand and sticks for hang and hunts also. You can also use just the suspension with the 1850 bag if you don’t need or want the frame. So I’m getting a lot of use out of the frame and a bag then just switch bags when I head out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowlman

FNG
I have a Metcalf that I have had for 3 years now. Have carried heavy loads and I have used it for day hunts compressed down. It is an awsome pack that I highly recommend.
I have 4 buddies that all use kuiu packs and all of them love them.
There are pros and cons to both.

Either one you should be happy with. But my vote would be for the Metcalf.

It is a simple heavy duty pack.

Poser

WKR
If I were in your shoes, I would go with the Metcalf. While I don’t own one myself, I’ve been out with partners who had them enough to observe that they are legit and bomber packs. KUIU packs? I’ve seen and read enough to conclude that reliability is at least somewhat of a concern. And then there’s the observation that the MR is the “Toyota Tacoma” of hunting packs and the KUIU is more of an “Audi,” so there’s that. Only one of these two packs has “street cred” in my opinion and it’s the Metcalf.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
$375 is a great deal for a Metcalf, it takes a lot of patience to find a better deal. If $550 was my budget when I bought my pack (Metcalf) I probably would've been getting a used Exo. Lots more access and pockets than the metcalf. The Exo K3 4800 is more volume with less weight than the Metcalf.