MR Metcalf or New Pro Icon 5200

KSBackCountryHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into getting a new pack-- have it narrowed down to either the MR Metcalf or Kuiu Pro Icon 5200 as my price point is around $500. I know they made some upgrades for the new 2017 Kuiu packs but just curious of anyones experience w/ the previous Kuiu models as it appears you can't go wrong w/ the MR but price wise and size the Kuiu might be a better deal but not a whole lot of reviews out there on them.
Just diggin' for info and appreciate any feedback or other possible recommendations!

boom

WKR
dang..good luck!!

i just got the new Metcalf. i havent tested it yet..i will July when i go trout pack-fishing. i'm gonna load it to the gills since my wife is coming along and i get guilted into carrying the kings share.

ams

WKR
I just got a metcalf to mess with. I can fit 5 days worth of gear into it and probably 7 days worth in mild temps. My 0 degree down bag barely fits in the bottom. Not sure if a synthetic would be possible unless it was super compressed. The quick draw sling is a pretty cool idea and seems to work well. It carries nice with 50 lbs but I haven't tried more yet. It's a pretty nice pack. The lumbar pad is really reduced and seems more like a 1 piece wrap around which I like. MR's current belt pockets are ment for a belt with molle and the new belts don't have it. Hopefully they will redesign them. The side pockets on the bag are almost unusable when it is stuffed with a sleeping bag. The frame is extremely light and stiff. Overall I really like the pack and how streamline it is in. It is screaming for some pockets similar to other companies spotting scope pockets that can attach to either the sides or back. It is a 26 inch frame and the meat shelf is a nice option. Inside all you have is a water bladder pocket. I would choose it over the kuiu.

JohnnyB

WKR
I just ordered the MR Metcalf from Black Ovis with the rokslide10 discount. 50 bucks off is nothing to sneeze at along with free shipping. Looking forward to getting the pack in hand.

bcimport

WKR
One other thing to consider when you're looking at price is long term durability. The MR packs are likely to last a lifetime if you can avoid pack envy and buying something new. The kuiu packs are feature rich but the thinner material and lighter buckles are not going to last for decades.

I have the "original" Icon, after the original batch of frames that broke. I like it, and they have made a BUNCH of improvements. I won't say it is fragile, as I routinely carry 60 lbs in it training, but the material is thinner.

I love the suspension system and the waist belt. The organization of the pack is great as well.

Obviously, to get the light weight they are, you have to cut somewhere. That said, I haven't put a hole in it yet. I originally bought the frame/suspension with the 1850 bag and it was way too small.

I can't speak to the new ones, but I like mine.

Kotaman

WKR
I've hunted extensively in both of these packs. The MR Metcalf is one of my favorite packs in it's class. Earlier versions were a bit heavy for what they were, but the new version is a bit lighter. Nothing wrong with the KUIU pack. In fact for the $$$ it is tough to beat, but I agree that the long term durability with heavy use is suspect.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a newer Icon Pro 7200 and used it for 2 seasons. It does a good job staying up on my hips even with 100 lb loads. My biggest complaint with it and consequently my main reason for switching to a MR was load stability. Even with a moderate load of 50 lbs the bag would shift around all over the place while hiking, not only annoying but in my opinion dangerous when the terrain already had me off balance.

I enjoyed the weight of the Icon Pro, it was pretty comfortable, and it had great layouts for organization.

The MR with the Guide Light frame has WAY better load stability, stronger materials, better buckles, and is just plain more comfortable overall no matter the load. My only wish is there was a few more pockets or compartments on the Metcalf for better organization of smaller items and spotting scopes.

Overall I wish I would have bought the MR a long time ago even though it is more money, it's just a better pack IMHO.

nphunter

WKR
I'm really liking the icon 5200 on my Kifaru UL frame. Better than any Kifaru bags I've had so far.