MR Metcalf vs Pop up 38

TM0218

FNG
Wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction. I mainly tree stand hunt in FL which is why I like the smaller frame of the Pop up 38, since it’s larger capacity seems like it can still fit quite a bit (sometimes my wife is with me so it’d be nice to be able to carry her extra layers as well). On the other hand I like the idea of having the larger Metcalf since I’d like to do an AK backpack caribou hunt and I’d hate to have to buy a second pack

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the sawtooth 45. It won’t come in til
Monday but it uses their new guidelight mt frame. Which the metcalf also uses. I’m gonna use it for hang n hunt whitetail hunting, backpack hunting and summer backpacking/camping. I’d look at the sawtooth then later on buy the metcalf or Marshall as bag only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
I have the pop up 38. I also bought a Mule bag which fits the pop up frame. It’s a versatile setup. I bought it at the end of the season so I haven’t hunted with it yet. But I do know that my style of tree stand hunting doesn’t work with a frame sticking up. The mule setup is tight and light. Then I can swap the bag for the 38 if I need too. Here’s a couple pics. Mule bag compressed and another with a sleep system in a dry bag riding in the meat shelf.

Attachments

• 7B1D67DD-3024-48B0-8EA9-E44837D75F4A.jpeg
    7B1D67DD-3024-48B0-8EA9-E44837D75F4A.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 54
  • FFE77FD9-15FD-464E-933F-D295510129B7.jpeg
    FFE77FD9-15FD-464E-933F-D295510129B7.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 55
OP
T

TM0218

FNG
I just bought the sawtooth 45. It won’t come in til
Monday but it uses their new guidelight mt frame. Which the metcalf also uses. I’m gonna use it for hang n hunt whitetail hunting, backpack hunting and summer backpacking/camping. I’d look at the sawtooth then later on buy the metcalf or Marshall as bag only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I guess more what I’m getting is frame style. Kind of like the @Poeschel said I’m not sure the full frame would work so well in my stand, though I’m sure I can make anything work if needed. Because even the AK caribou I speak of isn’t quite “backpack,” but more of a fly-in drop camp.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents is that I would get the Metcalf because it's more versatile and you can cinch it down to a low volume. It's not going to be great in a tree stand, but you can make it work. I bought a selway last year and used it a few times in the tree stand. The bag was too deep to be convenient if you are trying to fish something out, but I think if I used it a few more times in the stand I would have worked out a better system.

Anyway I do think the Metcalf is more versatile and you can make it work in the stand. Good luck.

I have used the Metcalf for a couple years now and it’s never let me down. It can be compressed to a tiny day pack or expanded to fit 10+ days of equipment in it. I’ve used it to pack out many deer while and it carries large loads incredibly well. Would definitely recommend!

I have owned both.

pop up 38 is my favorite solution for a daypack that can haul on occasion but I don’t find it nearly as comfortable as a full size frame. If I was hunting your area and looking for something to carry an occasional heavy load, it would be my choice.

Metcalf is a great general use pack. It can go from reasonably small daypack mode to 5 days or more. i think it really shines in that 3-5 day role And you may get frustrated with the added bulk if you use it as a daypack nearly all the time. You can buy a smaller pack for your day hunts and use the same frame but I still found that was more bulk than I liked or needed 80% of the time.

if i was getting just one pack, it would probably be the metcalf.... that being said, for me personally, i like how my pop up rides on my body better, and love not having a frame sticking up unless i'm carrying a load.

from my experience with both, it would be a tough decision. the thing the metcalf has going for it is modularity.... if you aren't going to need a bigger bag in the future, the pop up is hard to beat.

of course you will get a lot of varying replies.... that's because we all have different needs, and different packs fit different body types. the pop up system has far exceeded my expectations of it. i have had some really heavy loads in mine and it's done really well.... pretty much, if i can get it secured to the pack, i can carry it.

a big bodied whole bone in buck is hard to secure into the pack (i have the 18) that seems to be the limiting factor for me, it lacks compression to lock in large bulky loads. i think if i had a couple meat bags for boned meat (longer thinner game bags) that were easier to get secured on the frame, it would haul more than i could. i tried to strap a roosie hame and front quarter to mine the first year i had it, and i couldn't get it secure where it wouldn't shift (lack of compression options) i just wanted to see how it handled the weight... a big ham from a big bull is no problem, an average size bone in buck is no problem, and i have made it work with a couple big bodied bucks bone in.... the weight was fine, it was just hard to lock it all into the frame.

OP
T

TM0218

FNG
if i was getting just one pack, it would probably be the metcalf.... that being said, for me personally, i like how my pop up rides on my body better, and love not having a frame sticking up unless i'm carrying a load.

from my experience with both, it would be a tough decision. the thing the metcalf has going for it is modularity.... if you aren't going to need a bigger bag in the future, the pop up is hard to beat.

of course you will get a lot of varying replies.... that's because we all have different needs, and different packs fit different body types. the pop up system has far exceeded my expectations of it. i have had some really heavy loads in mine and it's done really well.... pretty much, if i can get it secured to the pack, i can carry it.

a big bodied whole bone in buck is hard to secure into the pack (i have the 18) that seems to be the limiting factor for me, it lacks compression to lock in large bulky loads. i think if i had a couple meat bags for boned meat (longer thinner game bags) that were easier to get secured on the frame, it would haul more than i could. i tried to strap a roosie hame and front quarter to mine the first year i had it, and i couldn't get it secure where it wouldn't shift (lack of compression options) i just wanted to see how it handled the weight... a big ham from a big bull is no problem, an average size bone in buck is no problem, and i have made it work with a couple big bodied bucks bone in.... the weight was fine, it was just hard to lock it all into the frame.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately this may be the situation where I buy both and spend some time playing with them and return the one I’m not going to keep. What’s hard is I have 2 factors to contend with, (1) ease of using while tree stand hunting which is frame size and (2) making sure I have enough bag space for what the future holds. I’m thinking the Pop Up will work as all my hunts, even future hunts are primarily day hunts from a base camp type situation.