MR NICE Recommendations

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, first post here. I lurked for a long time before joining, and have still just been lurking, so I thought I’d introduce myself and ask a question.

First off, I’m primarily a turkey and whitetail hunter in KY (bow and rifle), and I’m an avid backpacker, so I’m getting interested in joining the two. I’d like to get out West for an elk hunt before too long, but I’d also like to practice for it by doing some backcountry deer hunts.

Anyway, I recently snatched up a Mystery Ranch NICE frame in great shape from Craigslist for a steal. It was a military setup for radios, so the main bag is all but useless, and the frame has the removable body armor stabilizer things. Not perfect, but no big deal. It also came with a daypack lid and a Hitchhiker 20, which I modified to work as a load compressor that can also hold a jacket and water bladder. It hauls a climbing stand perfectly.

When I bought it, I just figured I’d get a bag that fit it eventually, but I didn’t realize that MR had gone to this package deal approach. So it turns out that buying a bag only is harder than I thought. Frames only are a dime a dozen on the forums here and elsewhere. MR bags not as much.

So, I’m looking for advice. Should I just sell it and buy a complete setup, or should I wait around to try and find a Metcalf bag only? The NICE frame will be quite a bit heavier than a Guide Light, right? Or is there a bag-only option from another brand like Kifaru or someone else that would work just as well?

I’m all about saving money—especially since I’ve already got a frame—but I’d also like a versatile setup that can work for everything from overnighters in the whitetail woods to week-long elk or mule deer hunts. (I know there’s no perfect pack, but I’m the “one rifle” type of guy, so I’m just looking for a solid compromise.) So, what do you say? Give me your advice.

I’d also like to hear from NICE users who have used bags from other brands. What’s your setup look like? How does it work for you?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome.

I have a bit of an MR problem. Own both nice and guidelight frames.

Any guide light bag works on the nice and vice vs.

If you want cheap, keep your eyes open for a crewcab bag. A great day pack that can haul. They can be had for under $100 sometimes.

Other MR NICE bags that I see tend to be .mil bags. Nothing wrong with them but they go for a premium. If you want something very cheap mount a USMC filbe on your nice and you have a hell of a pack and frame.

You may find a pack that will come up but you have to keep an eye out. It is also worth asking if someone will separate a bag they are selling.

One thought to keep in mind is you can probably sell that frame for $150. A bag is going to cost $100-200. If you look around the swap meet here or other forums you can get a new or lightly used guidelight for about $350. I bought a new Metcalf for that price last year. Not suggesting you start over but just pointing out that you may want to look at other options.

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your response, DJ. I’ve seen the Crewcab, but it’s just a daypack, right? So you would have to pack camp in a compressed dry bag or something between the frame and Crewcab. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, then my modified Hitchhiker is already functioning exactly like the Crewcab, just probably a bit smaller, but that’s no big deal if camp is in a separate bag anyway. Are there other benefits to the Crewcab that I’m missing?

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a follow-up question for Crewcab users as well. Hopefully it hasn’t already been asked. If you have camp in a bag between the frame and the Crewcab, where does your meat go? Do you hike camp out first and come back? Do you put a load of meat against the frame and then your camp bag? Or do you put meat in on top of lighter camp items?

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Crew Cab. Haven't hauled meat in it yet. I pictured putting it in between the side pockets and the main back pocket. That meat shelf is designed so that the 3 pockets and their straps all compress that load.

I just picked up a Kifaru 22 Mag today, will be trying that on my NICE frame this weekend and snowmobiling with showshoes, a shovel, a saw, rope. I have the OVI frame extensions on my NICE frame, not sure how it all fits together, but pretty sure it will....

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your response, robcollins. Just to clear, you’re talking about day hunting with the Crewcab, right? From photos, it doesn’t look like the Crewcab could hold enough for an overnighter, or at least not in the packs. Camp would have to go in another bag in the meat shelf, right? So then where does the meat go?

Wrench

WKR
I've got a Crew Cab. Haven't hauled meat in it yet. I pictured putting it in between the side pockets and the main back pocket. That meat shelf is designed so that the 3 pockets and their straps all compress that load.

I just picked up a Kifaru 22 Mag today, will be trying that on my NICE frame this weekend and snowmobiling with showshoes, a shovel, a saw, rope. I have the OVI frame extensions on my NICE frame, not sure how it all fits together, but pretty sure it will....
I used a 22mag on my nice frame. I actually prefer it to the kifaru frames.

Checkout the last pic on the MR site.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/crewcab-pack

Crew cab is a small day pack built into a load sling and then it has two wing pockets that can fold under the daypack. Without a load in the cargo area it can hold plenty of gear to day hunt. If you camp with it you use a dry bag or I used a kifaru duffel bag and drop the camp stuff.

As far as what goes where, I can tell you I hauled a small white tail - probably 60-70lbs of quarters in mine. It wasn’t pleasant but it worked. If you can haul your camp and your meat all at once then have at it, but yes, you are going to have to figure out how to strap it all down. There are plenty of straps and it will stabilize a decent load if you pack it thoughtfully and secure it.

I would probably still be running it but my one gripe was that it took a bit to get your stuff out of it after you strapped it all together. I also found myself loading layers onto the shelf later in season and I just wanted something that could hold all my day hunting gear in a single bag with less complex access.

To be clear, I think a bigger bag with a meat shelf like a Metcalf is better set up, but the crew cab is probably the cheapest way to get a decent bag to go with your frame. People either love them or hate them and that’s why they get sold cheap. FWIW I still have mine. It rides on a nice frame that I use loaded with sand bags for training. It also gets called out for stand and corn hauling duty and is a loaner pack every now and then too.

bcimport

WKR
Crew Cab is my favorite day pack bag. It can be used for multi day trips too but it’s a little less ideal. Combine it with a 6500 or Metcalf and all the bases are covered.

I actually went back to a NICE frame after trying the guide light, Kifaru, SG and HPG. If it fits well just use it, you’ll likely never wear it out.

I still use my NICE frame.

Had the crewcab and was not a fan. With that setup you have just about no load lifter so under heavy load outs you go back to basically looking like an infantry grunt under an Alice pack with too much weight.

Went to the 7500 pack with the extended stabilizers up top. Way better. When you get to elk camp I still use the whole bag as a day pack as your ready to haul meat and the rifle can be loaded onto the side. I usually dump the top of the bag in the tent. 0E8E117D-7B52-48E1-A193-B56384B0AC02.jpegF274B61D-07F4-4C1D-847C-9BE1A44788D4.jpeg

This the same frame with the 6500 black bag. I traded that to a friend just b/c I found the 7500 in multicam. As you can see it hauls pretty well. Had both front quarters in the bag, and the head on top of the bag.

5AA63D87-692A-4890-8F38-0B443E684837.jpeg
In sum, either the 6500 the 7500 bags are really decent with that frame I’m sure the other bags are good too but if I was using that frame I for sure want the bags that have the internal elevated stays so you can suck the load lifters in.

Last edited:

bcimport

WKR
Agree, you don’t get lift with a CC. That is a fair trade off for me to not have anything sticking up behind my head and shoulders as I move through the woods. I have no problem pulling a 50-70# load out with it.

If I know I’m packing big weight or headed in for a second heavy load I would probably throw my Metcalf or 6500 on as they have the frame extensions.

bcimport

WKR
I use them both. If I’m on a multi day backpack hunt I prefer the 6500 for the space if I connect and the bottle pockets (rifle in one and water bottle in the other). If it’s summer backpacking, fishing or packrafting the Metcalf gets the nod as I don’t need as much space or the extra compression.

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I gave the Crewcab a good hard look, and it looks great for day hunting, but I’m not sure it will be appreciably better than the jerry rigged hitchhiker I’ve got now. I’ll try to post some photos of what the setup looks like.

I think you guys have convinced me to keep looking for a Metcalf or 6500 bag-only. I would jump on the FILBE option, but it just looks so fat (instead of tall) that it looks like it would pull you back, especially if you were using the overload shelf for anything. A couple of people mentioned the Kifaru 22 Mag for day hunting. Are there any multi day Kifaru bags that fit the NICE frame well?

Conrad, thanks for the photos! Two quarters and a head in one load is something to aspire to. It looks like you have the quarters in the bag. Do you prefer it that way?

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
291B7065-0923-49F0-84BD-A81B2866816C.jpeg
Here’s a photo of the modified hitchhiker working as a compression panel to haul my climber. The seat pad is in the bag along with a jacket and water.
73422CAB-F58A-4678-A115-52BDC75B9BD2.jpeg
Here’s a photo of the frame side.

I took the stays out of the webbing channel on the side of the bag and used them to make my own load lifter extensions. You can see those on the frame here:
62525A6C-3530-4620-95F3-E59C5B377EFD.jpeg

Here’s a photo of the setup hauling a sleeping bag in a pack liner. Full disclosure: I got the frame after deer season, so this is all conjecture. All I’ve done is carry the climber around the neighborhood at this point.
67FCAB80-2A85-4278-997C-053B9450B17F.jpeg
Here you can see where I sewed buckles on the top and bottom of the webbing channels where the stays were to add top and bottom compression:
8CB919AC-1E33-4E62-8B15-BEB60F8AE62A.jpeg
D9AA89EB-E402-4BF5-88F2-C2A5121E8DDA.jpeg
And here’s a photo of a panel I made to slide over the webbing and serve as a bottom shelf. Not sure this would work all that well with any kind of weight. I think it would have to be raised up higher. I’ll probably have to move some webbing up to the female buckles about a third of the way up the frame to raise the load.
6883DD85-0E18-4227-B172-D15A47C5A957.jpeg
So, I’m sure a Crewcab would work better, but this seems serviceable for now. I just need to get a multi day pack, and I think I’ll be set.

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yeah, I’ve got the daypack lid to add on if I need a little more space as well.

I have the women's Pintler and my husband has the Metcalf. We LOVE our packs. We ordered his last year on a big Memorial Day sale. I think they were retailing for $525 at the time and we got it for under $400. I ordered my Pintler from the Schnees website and got 20% off using the code MEATEATER. I don't know what your meat hauling situation is looking like with your current setup, but the meat shelf on the Pintler and Metcalf can't be beat. We used them to pack his first elk out of Hells Canyon last October :D Our packs are big enough for multi day trips plus big loads of meat, and yet they are comfortable enough that you can easily wear one for a short day hike and not feel annoyed by it. Memorial Day sales will be here before you know it, and also remember to look for a good promo code before you buy. I'm sure you will be happy with any Mystery Ranch setup you end up with :)

Conrad, thanks for the photos! Two quarters and a head in one load is something to aspire to. It looks like you have the quarters in the bag. Do you prefer it that way?

I carry 5 Alaskan game bags and one contractor trash bag in my ruck. Game bag each quarter with one for back straps and miscellaneous pieces. I line my bag with the black garbage bag to haul meat to minimize the bloody mess.

If you look close to my last picture you will notice two extra straps I bought from MR to cinch down funky loads like antlers. Works great. The 6500 or 7500 has no load shelf so in the bag is definitely the logical option.

I’ve done a couple load outs probably pushing 150 lbs where we moved camp and meat. It’s ugly but possible. Better have trekking poles!!!

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
That 22 mag rode fine on my NICE frame. Used it snowmobiling on Saturday holding a shovel and snowshoes, (it's tall enough to fit my MSR Denalis inside!) then used it to 4 full loads of river rocks for my wife's landscaping project. I'd guess 80 lbs of rocks inside without using the side pockets..

I've got the OVI frame extensions for my NICE frame, that's the game changer for me, being able to scale up to tall, huge loads just works well for me. I like Kifaru bags better than the MR that I've had based mostly on perceived durability. (my 22 Mag is 1000D) From strapped to a sled to hauling rocks, I don't baby my stuff. If I can't manage to squeeze my loads into 3,000 ci plus the meat shelf, I've got other packs that will work, but, I feel I'm better off with that self-imposed limit when I could be hauling meat...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can custom make a bag if you can’t find one but personally I would lean towards getting the guidelight as it’s more comfortable and lighter. The new MT version won’t have buckle compatibility with the stuff you currently have though.

I still have my NICE frame but I just used it as a weighted pack for box stepping that I keep loaded in the corner for workouts.