MR NICE Recommendations

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
The new MT version won’t have buckle compatibility with the stuff you currently have though.

Thanks for the response pods8. I’ve seen your stuff in other threads and it looks like you do awesome work. I assume a custom bag would be far more expensive than a used Metcalf though, right?

What is the new MT version you mention above? Did you mean MR? Others have said all bags are compatible with NICE or Guidelight, so I thought I could just pick up any bag I could find at the right price. Is that not the case?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the response pods8. I’ve seen your stuff in other threads and it looks like you do awesome work. I assume a custom bag would be far more expensive than a used Metcalf though, right?

What is the new MT version you mention above? Did you mean MR? Others have said all bags are compatible with NICE or Guidelight, so I thought I could just pick up any bag I could find at the right price. Is that not the case?

Depends on if the design is complex or not, features = labor, less features is less labor. Not sure what the used bags are going around for either off hand, custom work if reasonable on design is not as steep as you might be assuming, but I'm just one guy and lead times stack up at times esp. when my day job piles on work travel (I'm on the road all this week for instance).

Mystery Ranch released a new frame called the "Guidelight MT" that is currently paired with the beartooth and saw tooth. Functionally the frame is the same with an improved belt on it BUT they changed the type of buckles on it that are not compatible with the old style. So folks need to be aware as they make that transition in their product line (they claim in the next couple years all will be switched over) that there will be bags/frames floating around with mismatched buckles. To a degree stuff can be converted over, some straight forward some more annoying (like having to cut off loop buckles and replace with split bar buckles), the availability of the new style buckle they picked is limited currently. IE you can't just order up some matching buckles from rockywoods or such like you can with their current style of buckle (that is compatible with kifaru, stone glacier, and numerous military bags).

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Good info! Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know about the new MT version.

There’s a Marshall bag only on the classifieds right now. The asking price is $275. It’s more bag than I think I need, but I’ve got my eye on it.

Since you’ve mentioned the new version of the Guidelight, I wonder if I could pick up a used bag now to fit my NICE and then upgrade to a Guidelight in a couple of years when folks start upgrading to the MT version.

Found my old Crewcab loadout photo. This is the start of a 9 hour hike for 6 miles downhill with 1/2 a boned out elk and all my camping gear. You can see where the load lifters were not helping much. Worse than any patrol as an infantry officer. Could hardly walk for two days afterwards.
9E761450-EC9C-4E1E-8800-98554F4F875D.jpeg

Reactions: Cng

bcimport

WKR
Conrad’s pics show a limitation of the CC. You have to be careful to load it vertically not out and away from your back. But because the NICE frame is short you run out of frame to strap to. The CC is awesome when used for modularity but it is not an 6000 cube haul camp and meat pack. It’s still my favourite for day hunts though. All my gear fits in the main bag and tombstone pocket and the load shelf area stays available for meat.

It’s kind of deceptive in that it’s obviously packed way out back and laterally. That freaking meat load was against my back and as high as I could get it. I’m not kidding when I tell you that it was HEAVY; and to make it worse, it was not frozen but in the 40’s so it kind of fit in the center load zone like wet cement. It was a learning experience. Without trekking poles it would have been 4 times worse b/c we had to go down some drainages over deadfall.

Anyway, I’m not saying it’s not a good ruck configuration but I concur it’s a 3 day pack and probably dandy for taking unboned quarters 1/2 mile to the road. Would also be great for hauling tree stands and such.

jrol

FNG
Not really a solution for the OP's plans, but if you have an old ALICE pack around it fits nicely - you can make good use of the frame for a small trip just to see if you like it. I have one with a simple bag and sling made by pods8 (the sling and bag are great), and consider it a handy load hauler. I do think the frame is overbuilt for most tasks.

I run a crewcab almost exclusively for 90% of my adventures. I also have a frame extrnsion to give my load lifters use.

pods8 has built me a few bags for my nice frame and for the price you can’t go wrong. They are some bomber packs and it was built exactly the way I wanted it built.