MR Pintler vs. Coulee 40 vs. Dragon Slayer vs. ?

kdmclaug

FNG
On the hunt for daypack and keep coming back to MR. Love the 3-zip opening, the molle/attachment points of the Pintler. I like the ~40L size as well.

I really don't need an external frame/meat hauling. Looking at the Coulee 40, I like it, but it doesn't have the organization of the Pintler or the strap options the Pintler or Komodo/3DAP have.

I would love to get a Dragon Slayer. That looks ideal, but can't fine one of those.

Thoughts on Pintler as a daypack/do-all pack? Is it overkill? Other suggestions/brands welcome.

Thank you in advance.

IMO the pintler would be an awfully big day pack. I used the cabinet for a day pack quite a bit and bought a pintler and packed it for a 2 night trip that ended up being canceled.it definitely a great pack and if you plan on packing something bulky like insulation layers etc it might be right. I since moved onto a kifaru pack but I did really like the mystery ranch stuff. I think that the pop up series looks like pretty good day pack options. If you already have the frame and are looking for a bag to put on it the mule would be it.

OP
K

kdmclaug

FNG
IMO the pintler would be an awfully big day pack. I used the cabinet for a day pack quite a bit and bought a pintler and packed it for a 2 night trip that ended up being canceled.it definitely a great pack and if you plan on packing something bulky like insulation layers etc it might be right. I since moved onto a kifaru pack but I did really like the mystery ranch stuff. I think that the pop up series looks like pretty good day pack options. If you already have the frame and are looking for a bag to put on it the mule would be it.
Thanks. What did you get in Kifaru?

I got the reckoning. It checked all the boxes for me. Awesome for multi day trips and cinches down pretty small for day use. I really like the multitude of pockets and pouches that they sell that can be added or subtracted in all sorts of configurations. It packed a crazy amount of elk weight on its first trip and worked great. I Also had room to spare on a recent 4 day deer trip. Not cheap, but bullet proof and versatile. I also just picked up a kifaru X-ray used here to try out for a day pack for scouting trips, fishing hikes etc. not light or cheap, but also bulletproof and versatile, I’ve only used that one for around town with a visit to the brewery and it packed home a few 6ers very comfortably. Kifaru has a ton of videos on each of their packs and how to set them up etc, worth checking out

fbhandler

WKR
At 41 liters the pintler is an excellent size for a day pack. It has a decent amount of organization but doesn’t go overboard. I’d prefer it over your other choices if hauling meat out was a possibility, what little you’d lose in comfort and weight to the internal frames, you gain in versatility.

The kifaru reckoning is more the 2x the size of pintler…

OP
K

kdmclaug

FNG
I got the reckoning. It checked all the boxes for me. Awesome for multi day trips and cinches down pretty small for day use. I really like the multitude of pockets and pouches that they sell that can be added or subtracted in all sorts of configurations. It packed a crazy amount of elk weight on its first trip and worked great. I Also had room to spare on a recent 4 day deer trip. Not cheap, but bullet proof and versatile. I also just picked up a kifaru X-ray used here to try out for a day pack for scouting trips, fishing hikes etc. not light or cheap, but also bulletproof and versatile, I’ve only used that one for around town with a visit to the brewery and it packed home a few 6ers very comfortably. Kifaru has a ton of videos on each of their packs and how to set them up etc, worth checking out
Thanks!

Agross

WKR
I have to disagree on the Pintler being to big. I think it’s a great pack, not to big ,not to small . I would still own one but the exo just fit me better for whatever reason. I loved the tri-zip set up on the Pintler, and the pocket on the top.

At 41 liters the pintler is an excellent size for a day pack. It has a decent amount of organization but doesn’t go overboard. I’d prefer it over your other choices if hauling meat out was a possibility, what little you’d lose in comfort and weight to the internal frames, you gain in versatility.

Totally agree.

If you like the dragonslayer, check out the MR Bighorn. I loved that pack, should have never mine go. You will have a heck of a time finding one but it's not impossible.

The scapegoat 35 is also an excellent daypack, it just doesn't have the 3 zip design that you like.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I was just answering the question of what my new bag was, certainly not recommending the reckoning as a dedicated daypack. If you unroll the top and add a lid it’s actually 3x the size! I think it depends on what you pack around for a day hike with no plan for meat. For me half the time that’s a mtn smith lumbar pack. I guess I just don’t take much with me for a day unless I’m planning on packing meat home which the op said the pack was not for.

OP
K

kdmclaug

FNG

Good feedback. Thank you!
If you like the dragonslayer, check out the MR Bighorn. I loved that pack, should have never mine go. You will have a heck of a time finding one but it's not impossible.

The scapegoat 35 is also an excellent daypack, it just doesn't have the 3 zip design that you like.

thank, will do!

505Wapiti

WKR
I use the Pintler and think it’s an excellent day pack. Zero complaints or issues. My 12 year old son uses the Mule. Both on guidelight MT frames.

Last edited:

Agross

WKR

Oh man, The Bighorn! What a great pack. They dont come around often. I really, really regret selling the one I had. It was in great shape. I didn’t realize how much I liked it until I got rid of it. Definitely regret that one .

I love my Pintler, but only because I use it for meat hauling and swap the frame with my Marshal bag for backpacking. I prefer to only fill backpacks (or most anything else for that matter) at 80% or so making loading and unloading that much easier. In my pintler i can carry lunches, kill kit, and cold/wet weather gear for myself and two sons without any problem. The Pinter is awfully heavy for a daypack. I would probably get something lighter if I wasn't meat hauling.

OP
K

kdmclaug

FNG
Any thoughts / comparisons on Komodo Dragon? It’s about same size. I don’t think as nice waist belt, but similar/same material and molle for attachments?

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had half a dozen or so over the last 20 years and have stuck with my pintler for the last 5 or so, with no intention of upgrading. It’s my idea of a perfect day pack. I’ve hauled 2 mature bulls solo, antelope, and mule deer. It’s NOT overkill especially late season when storing clothing. Most important thing is fit though, so the design and layout are sort of mute points if it doesn’t fit your body

The zipper breaking on the Pintler freaks me out, so I went with a Metcalf. It still has a zipper, but its not the primary way to use the bag. I think they are roughly the same size. I have done up to a 15 day backpack hunt with it and many day hunts with it.

TheTone

WKR
Absolutely love my bighorn! No idea the amount of miles I’ve carried that thing but it’s a ton. Lots and lots of shed antlers and meat packed with it. I picked up an exo this year but will never let my bighorn go. I really like the three zip and wonder about making a pintler bag for my exo frame

The zipper breaking on the Pintler freaks me out, so I went with a Metcalf. It still has a zipper, but its not the primary way to use the bag. I think they are roughly the same size. I have done up to a 15 day backpack hunt with it and many day hunts with it.
Metcalf is much larger at 71L (4335 ci) than the Pintler at 38.6L (2355 ci).

Metcalf is a fantastic multi day pack that can be compressed down to make a decent daypack.

Pop Up 28, with it's slender profile, would be my choice for an early season strictly day pack. Later in the season, when I might be trading out more layers in the cold, the larger Pintler or Sawtooth 45 gets the nod. I much prefer the zipper and access of the Sawtooth.