MR Pintler vs Sawtooth 45

Dooger

FNG
Looking for opinions on which one to go with. Hunts could be 2-3 days and would like to strap on a bow/gun.

Was leaning toward a Pintler before the new Sawtooth 45 came out.

I was recently in that same boat. I was looking for a good all day pack that was big enough for an overnighter (or more) if needed. I went with the Sawtooth 45 (hope to have it this week) due to some of the newer features of the new frame/belt. The size of the 2 packs is fairly comparable and i think either would fit your needs. I do like the organization of the Sawtooth based on pics.

I have a pintler and have been eyeballing the sawtooth.

Roughly the same weight. A slight capacity edge to the sawtooth. You get the same basic function with a bit more organization out of the sawtooth.

I understand they have improved the meat shelf access plus their seems to be some upgrades to the new frame. You have a small compatibility issue going forward with the new frame system and old packs to consider if you own some or plan to buy them.

If cost wasn’t an issue and I didn’t already own a pintler, I would be buying the sawtooth. If you want to save a few bucks, I think new pintler are going to be on heavy discount this year due to the sawtooth and people holding off on buying a current new pintler until they put them out next year on the new frame. I also think there are going to be a lot of used pintlers for sale as people decide to update/upgrade.

JWP58

WKR
Keep in mind the sawtooth has the new hip belt, updated frame, and new way to attach the bag to frame. (You dont have to undo the load lifter straps for load mode).

EmperorMA

WKR
I am loving the Sawtooth as a day hunting pack. However, I think I’d struggle to get 3-4 days out of it without using the Overload Shelf.

The new Selway looks great to me. Essentially, it’s a 62L version of the Pintler with the new belt and frame.

A guy could pick up the Selway now and a Pintler or Sawtooth bag only later if he truly needs a smaller bag for day use.

Trial153

WKR
I don’t see the sawtooth 45 doing anything I can’t do with my pintler .....the selway 60 however gets you 1000ci more space in a
Iighter weight pack.

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I like the fact that you don't have to undo straps to access the main bag, really like the duffel style zipper and the way that you can access the meat shelf without undoing buckles. The internal pockets also are a big plus. I liked the pintler a lot but the sawtooth looks like a pretty big improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Here are some pics between the two. Sawtooth is the Foliage color Pintler is Subalpine.

b2ec2f2da8d1c475e2fbdf258e05ebef.jpg
13a1c3a2420cbf83dff145d9aee86aed.jpg
cd039c66da80efc56116790b1ca3e6b8.jpg
e2b875c2d8456148630388d6936bee01.jpg
d124af02849ae5748e544f2d5200fcab.jpg
e624cf6dd9e893a48243414dc0b1b073.jpg
bf9af131be5a909cd3a80554c2dfc8b1.jpg

tac83

FNG
Anyone have any updated experience with using both?

Selway looks great, except the lack of smaller pockets for organizing.

I ended up buying a sawtooth. I think the new frame is worth the price of admission. Key difference between the selway and sawtooth beside the opening is the organization and a little less space. I think both are good packs. I like the organization of the sawtooth so I am staying with it.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying a sawtooth. I think the new frame is worth the price of admission. Key difference between the selway and sawtooth beside the opening is the organization and a little less space. I think both are good packs. I like the organization of the sawtooth so I am staying with it.

How are you using the organization on the Sawtooth?
I'm still testing out different ways to use them:
- extra clothing
- medical
- small gears, head lamp, tools, cordage

With just stuffing it with compressable items such as clothes it's great for me. Anything with solid shape I find it eats internal space inside the pack, thus, gets pushed back out creating this surface bump.

I had a Lid for my Pintler for extra gears outside the pack storage and extra buckles that I've used for my Sawtooth.
It's a trial and errorssss on my part.
SJ Autolock buckles (Brown)
Sciatica sideline currently, but, constantly reading on how folks are using their Sawtooth.

I miss the Pintler's zipper.
It's so simple one motion vs Sawtooth trying to round those corners...I feel if I over packed, I'm going to bust those zippers.

I used to run a bunch of small stuff in the top of the pintler. Snacks, sunscreen, flashlight, etc. that is all now in the top pouch of the sawtooth ( the one with external access. I put other stuff in the small internal zippered pouches like a first aid kit, hygiene kit, water treatment etc. and a few other things I like to access fairly quickly without digging into my pack. I can also lay rain gear flat on top of al the stuff so I can grab it quick. Have use top loaders for years and on every trip it always seems like I need something from the bottom of the pack at some point. The whole idea of panel loader is easy access so I can also get at anything anywhere in the pack with having to do the bag dump / yard sale thing. In camp, I can lay my pack frame side down and live out of it like a suit case while keeping all my gear consolidated inside it.

I agree with the points above that the pintler and selway design work just fine and the tri zip does a pretty good job of creating full access. I am just enjoying the added features of the sawtooth. To me, the frame is honestly the biggest difference and was worth the cost of the upgrade.

NDGuy

WKR
To me, the frame is honestly the biggest difference and was worth the cost of the upgrade.
For anyone on the fence between the two, the Pintler will be on the new frame from what I heard starting next year. So no only can you wait to get a full upgraded Pintler, you also could get some current production Pintlers for good prices towards the end of the year.

Just orderd a sawtooth! Cant wait to get it all loaded up. The duffle style zipper and internal organization sold me