MR Pop Up 28 vs. MR Treehouse

Alright guys, another pack question comparing pros and cons of the Pop Up 28 vs the Treehouse , both made by Mystery Ranch. I realize the Treehouse was a pack made for treestand hunting, but i see myself using the Pop-Up 28 more often? its smaller than the Treehouse possibly making it less of a burden carrying up the tree?

I have read the specs for both packs and YES, I used the "search" function at the top of the page.

Does anyone have first hand experience with these packs in a treestand?

OP
switchback7
what kind of packs are some of you tree stand hunters bringing up the tree with you?

fatlander

WKR
With top tier packs you have 3 options but you can only get to pick 2.

1.) Superior Load Hauling
2.) Sleek and quiet enough for whitetails
3.) Made to last

The pop up 28 is a great little pack but it doesn’t know what it wants to be. If you’re hauling your stand in and out everyday, save yourself the headache and just put molle shoulder straps and a kidney belt on it. Lash a cheap hydration style pack and extra layer to that stand. Use parachord to turn the seat into a load shelf.

If you want a pack to haul loads get a real frame.

If you’re just bringing gear to prehung sets the treehouse is better. But the Sitka line of whitetail packs are better for whitetails in my honest opinion. The treehouse didn’t get much love from anyone, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
switchback7
With top tier packs you have 3 options but you can only get to pick 2.

1.) Superior Load Hauling
2.) Sleek and quiet enough for whitetails
3.) Made to last

The pop up 28 is a great little pack but it doesn’t know what it wants to be. If you’re hauling your stand in and out everyday, save yourself the headache and just put molle shoulder straps and a kidney belt on it. Lash a cheap hydration style pack and extra layer to that stand. Use parachord to turn the seat into a load shelf.

If you want a pack to haul loads get a real frame.

If you’re just bringing gear to prehung sets the treehouse is better. But the Sitka line of whitetail packs are better for whitetails in my honest opinion. The treehouse didn’t get much love from anyone, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I haven't read the greatest reviews on the Treehouse. Im having a hard time seeing myself hauling a framed-pack up a tree, in general. Not sure why I am hung up on MR haha I will have to branch off to other companies, too, and see what they got.

I'm a big MR guy. I currently have a Selway 60, Pop Up 28, Mule and a Rip Ruck and all 4 of them are perfect for what I use them for. I owned the treehouse, sold the treehouse. Didn't even go up the tree once with it. Its awkward, heavy for what it is and theres just better options out there. I truly just don't like the pack.

If you are planning on packing out whitetail meat - yes, the Pop Up 28 is perfect - its a perfect pack for hauling whitetail. But if you have atv access to a kill, or drag to a road - Id go with something else. If you are hunting anything larger that whitetail, Id get a true meat hauler on the guide lite mt frame. As stated above, depends on if you are packing your stand in and out.

The best treestand pack Ive found has been the Eberlestock Bandit. Its compact, has enough room and you can lash gear to the outside in between the molle panel and is durable as hell. The one thing Ive learned about whitetail treestand packs is, the bigger the pack, the more unnecessary gear youll put in it. You don't need a ton of gear to treestand hunt. The bandit is big enough for me to take what I need, and small enough to where I cant pack 2 thermacells and 4 pairs of gloves and 3 copies of War and Peace. If I were to take my Selway up a tree, Id somehow find 60L of gear to put in it. Youll find things just because you have space.

If I'm packing in my Lone Wolf, Ill have shoulder straps on the LW and I attach the bandit to the back of it by the carry handle on a carabiner and a rubber strap to keep it tight against the platform.

OP
switchback7
I'm a big MR guy. I currently have a Selway 60, Pop Up 28, Mule and a Rip Ruck and all 4 of them are perfect for what I use them for. I owned the treehouse, sold the treehouse. Didn't even go up the tree once with it. Its awkward, heavy for what it is and theres just better options out there. I truly just don't like the pack.

If you are planning on packing out whitetail meat - yes, the Pop Up 28 is perfect - its a perfect pack for hauling whitetail. But if you have atv access to a kill, or drag to a road - Id go with something else. If you are hunting anything larger that whitetail, Id get a true meat hauler on the guide lite mt frame. As stated above, depends on if you are packing your stand in and out.

The best treestand pack Ive found has been the Eberlestock Bandit. Its compact, has enough room and you can lash gear to the outside in between the molle panel and is durable as hell. The one thing Ive learned about whitetail treestand packs is, the bigger the pack, the more unnecessary gear youll put in it. You don't need a ton of gear to treestand hunt. The bandit is big enough for me to take what I need, and small enough to where I cant pack 2 thermacells and 4 pairs of gloves and 3 copies of War and Peace. If I were to take my Selway up a tree, Id somehow find 60L of gear to put in it. Youll find things just because you have space.

If I'm packing in my Lone Wolf, Ill have shoulder straps on the LW and I attach the bandit to the back of it by the carry handle on a carabiner and a rubber strap to keep it tight against the platform.

Right, I have a MR Metcalf now and I love it, but looking to upgrade my Alps Outdoorz treestand pack. Its not necessarily needed but I enjoy buying things ha. And upon further searches, I have found enough threads to find my answer, HA. Sorry for this one!