MR Pop Up 38 Owners

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
On the fence between grabbing a Pop Up 38 or keeping my Pintler. Primary use is a daypack for hunting and travelling. Pintler is nice, but wondering if I can get it done with a Pop Up but am looking for insight from owners of the 38. Thanks!

Pintler is a better general use pack. If I had one, it would be the pintler.

pop up is a little more compact in daypack mode and if that is your primary use and you really want to optimize that function it might be worth it. There isn’t honestly a huge difference in performance as a daypack, it is really just the size of the pack and how much it will or won’t slow yu down in places like busting brush where that matters.

blackovis is running a good sale on them right now.

FWIW I had a 28 and went to a 38. I found I couldn’t get my deep winter layers into the 28 pack.

Kentucky

WKR
Same as DJ.

The 28 bucket lid sucked.. I had a Pintler and if it was last pack I ever owned I woulda been fine.. that bag is awesome..the 38 seems sweet.. but the new 2020 Pintler does everything the 38 does..

I had a Pintler with the lid and I never should got rid of it..

OP
G

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I picked up a lid on sale last year for my Pintler. Always looking to see if there is a better setup. Your insight is helpful.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
On the fence between pop up 38 and pintler as well. Is the guide light frame a better set up than than the pop up frame? Seems like it’s lighter, stouter and pretty much maintenance free with no parts that could wear out. Any thoughts?

Apples and oranges. The pop ups are great as daypacks that can haul on occasion but aren’t in the same league of comfort and carrying capacity as a full sized frame. The Pinter is a good pack. It and the frame are going to be more bulky on your back but it is a better general purpose bag with the flexibility to upsize bags for longer trips.