MR Pop up Vs Mule

Hey guys, just looking for some recommendations here. I’m looking to buy my first technical pack this year. My dream pack would be a kifaru styler set up, but that just doesn’t fit the bill right now. With the sales going on for Mystery Ranch, I’m torn between two packs. I’m a Midwest whitetail hunter who tries to get out west once a year. I have a saddle set up with sticks for deer hunting that I will need to carry. I’m torn between going with the MR pop up @ $200 or just upgrading to the full size frame like the mule or pintler. I think the pintler is a little over kill for me most of the season, but for the price, either could run double duty. Is the guide lite frame over kill? I do back out all of my whitetails that I shoot on public. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased a used Metcalf on the classifieds here for all of the reasons you have listed. Purchased a new Mule pack to use for deer hunting. Place
My Hawk Helium’s in the Overload shelf walking in and my Predator platform as well. Very happy with that set up. When I kill, I just take my sticks and platform back to the truck, then pack out the deer in game bags in the overload shelf. Very happy with that decision.

You could do similar to me to get more bag (Metcalf) for your western trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I'd get the Pop Up between the two. I don't think I would ever pay over $200 for that tiny mule bag. The Pop Up is at least versatile.

elkyinzer

WKR
Popup is a great daypack. If you have no inclination to do bivy/backpack hunts I would keep it on top of the list. It's my everyday pack for saddle hunting and also most other general hunting/scouting I do.

Packing meat/heavy loads is another consideration. This year I packed my buck out in one trip. That was about 1 mile, 80ish pound load. Not a difficult packout at all. Granted I am not in tiptop mountain shape as I haven't been west of the Mississippi in a few years. It was fine, but I'm not sure I would want to have made that trip 3 or 4 times for an elk. It's definitely a skimpy frame for an 80 pound load. So depending what your elk situation is, if you hunt a few miles deep, I would consider a stouter frame for the meat packing alone.

It's the jack of all trades/master of none tradeoff. The lighter frame is going to make a better daypack but be less comfortable coming out heavy. The stouter frames are way overkill for a daypack but will make misery less miserable for big packouts.

Last edited:
I'd get the Pop Up between the two. I don't think I would ever pay over $200 for that tiny mule bag. The Pop Up is at least versatile.

I bought the Mule on sale at Scheels. I can fit binos, calls, hydration bladder, food additional clothes, game bags and other saddle hunting paraphernalia with ease. If I needed more I’d use the metcalf pack.

I’d rather have the guide lite frame out west than the pop-up. Metcalfa are on really good sale now, so I’d buy that and the Mule pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I have the Mule and I think it is a great day pack. I have no problem carrying all my gear including a 95 spotter for my day trips. Not ideal for multiple day backpacking trips but you can always get bigger bag if needed in the future.
I have had that mule stuffed with a boned out rear and front quarter from an elk and it handled it no problem.
IMG_7187.JPG

joestrow

WKR
The Mule, bag only, is on sale today for $100 at huntoftheday.com
If you found a frame already you can add this to your arsenal.

I have owned and used both. More bulk and carrying capacity with the full size frame. More compact but less capable as a hauler for the pop up.

Which is better comes down to preference. If you are going to use it as a hauler all the time I would go mule. If you want a daypack that can haul a load of meat on rare occasions, the pop up is a good option.