MR Popup Owners - Should I buy a Popup 28 or 38?

Stilllearning123

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey, all. I'm getting into mule deer hunting and am trying to pick out a pack. I will be doing day hunts and maybe a lightweight overnight, and a lot sneaking over ridges and crawling towards the deer, as I got a tag in Southern California. I was looking at Sitka's daypack, and it looked real good for stalking, but then I found MR's Pop-Ups. These could actually haul meat. So my questions are: how quiet are the MR popups, and would the 28 or 38 be better for my applications?

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 38 and sometimes I wish it had just a little bit more capacity. With my tent, sleeping bag, jetboil, misc small items, and one jacket there really wasn't much room for anything else. Overall though, I do really like the pack

OP
S

Stilllearning123

FNG
Classified Approved
I have the 38 and sometimes I wish it had just a little bit more capacity. With my tent, sleeping bag, jetboil, misc small items, and one jacket there really wasn't much room for anything else. Overall though, I do really like the pack
What about for a day pack only? Would the 38 be a bit to much gun?

I use the MR pop-up 18, and it works great for daytrips/meat hauling. It's easy to add a drypack to the top of it. But for overnight trips it is a little on the small side. If I were you I'd give the 38 a try.

Put weight in it and walk around with it on before you marry it.

Do that with any pack you consider.

I don't think that pack in it's stock form is quiet enough for me. So it might depend on whether you bow or rifle hunt (how close do you gotta be for your shot?).

Maybe consider a meat hauler with a stalking pack strapped to it? You drop the hauler and put an orange bandana/flag type of thing attached to it (so you can find it later) and pull out your smaller and quieter stalking pack - with water in it - and go get that deer.

I own a 38, and I’ve used mine for day hunting elk, deer, and bear. Also use it for shed hunting. It will have plenty of room for a pretty minimal overnight setup (tent/tarp, lightweight bag, food). I wouldn’t want to use it for more than a few days overnight, but that’s just me. Good luck!

I own a 38, and I’ve used mine for day hunting elk, deer, and bear. Also use it for shed hunting. It will have plenty of room for a pretty minimal overnight setup (tent/tarp, lightweight bag, food). I wouldn’t want to use it for more than a few days overnight, but that’s just me. Good luck!
Are you running all the gear inside the bag, or using the meat shelf and the bag for multi-day stays on the hike in?

JohnD116

FNG
I have the 28, it’s an awesome pack but it’s strictly for day use only for sure. If your plans are to go overnight a night or two id probably look at a different pack altogether (Keeping in mind I have no experience with the 38) depending on how much gear you bring for an overnight stay. The 28 with all of my day gear in the pack, handled a bone in elk rear quarter with ease this season and was comfortable while doing it. Great pack, just might not fit your specific needs.

There are a few threads on this in the backpack forum.

I own and love the pop up for day hunts. I had a 28 but I overfilled it late in the season in the northeast when I carried a lot of layers. I ended up using the meat shelf for my gear, which becomes a problem if you get a load of meat. I went 38. It is rarely full but I have never minded the extra room.

FWIW I have done a couple overnights with mine. It is fine but it doesn’t carry as well as a pack with a full frame in that roll or as a meat hauler. It is so small in daypack mode that I will accept the compromise.

it’s not whisper quiet, but it is no worse than any other pack I own.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 28 for my wife 2 years ago. It’s a handy little pack but sometimes it’s just a tad too small. I think the 38 is a good compromise between being big enough to be useful but still being handy.

I ended up using the meat shelf for my gear, which becomes a problem if you get a load of meat.
Using the meat shelf during the hunt with gear, or just specifically in-out for camp?

I can see one sucking, and the other, as a hack of sorts with the popup, that's what I'm trying to gauge, using the meat shelf to carry gear into/ out of camp but back as meat shelf during day hunt from camp. Basically, just adding an additional trip into the mix, no?

Using the meat shelf during the hunt with gear, or just specifically in-out for camp?

I can see one sucking, and the other, as a hack of sorts with the popup, that's what I'm trying to gauge, using the meat shelf to carry gear into/ out of camp but back as meat shelf during day hunt from camp. Basically, just adding an additional trip into the mix, no?
I had to put my layers on the meat shelf while day hunting with the 28. I didn’t like it. I can fit it all in the 38, which I like better. I have used the 38 for light overnights twice. I was able to get t my gear in the bag without the meat shelf.

you can definitely use the meat shelf to carry your gear in and out of camp with the pop ups and any other bag that has a meat shelf. I have done this in the past and don’t care for it - pain in the ass to access the contents, loads shift, strap management, changes center of gravity more toward your spine. I like my stuff in the bag as much as possible. You may feel differently.

finally, I use my pop up as a daypack 90% of the time And it is a great day pack and a pretty capable hauler when used on occasion but it doesn’t carry as well as a full size frame and pack. If you are going to use it more as a hauler, you may want to go with a full size frame and a smaller bag like a pintler.

I had to put my layers on the meat shelf while day hunting with the 28. I didn’t like it. I can fit it all in the 38, which I like better. I have used the 38 for light overnights twice. I was able to get t my gear in the bag without the meat shelf.

you can definitely use the meat shelf to carry your gear in and out of camp with the pop ups and any other bag that has a meat shelf. I have done this in the past and don’t care for it - pain in the ass to access the contents, loads shift, strap management, changes center of gravity more toward your spine. I like my stuff in the bag as much as possible. You may feel differently.

finally, I use my pop up as a daypack 90% of the time And it is a great day pack and a pretty capable hauler when used on occasion but it doesn’t carry as well as a full size frame and pack. If you are going to use it more as a hauler, you may want to go with a full size frame and a smaller bag like a pintler.
Thanks, that covers most all that search didn't resolve!

First real pack, mostly day hunts, occasional weekend expedition style, was trying to gauge how versatile itd be as the first "serious" purchase..

More than likely not even close to the last