MR popup vs badlands ascent vs SG Kiowa

I can get the MR and the Kiowa for roughly the same price ($250). The Badlands I can get for about $100. I hunt eastern woods and swamps. Is it worth it to have the ability to add a frame for the "in case" I need to pack one out?

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Badlands Clutch and this year got a MR Pop UP 28. I wanted something less bulky for day hunting but with the ability to pack meat. The Pop-up extened frame & load shelf worked great, got the buck out in two trips:

j9WzGUh.jpg

mHhw5GE.jpg

eXyIjh2.jpg

Of the three, I've only owned the Pop Up, but I can tell you it is well worth the money. If nothing else, once adjusted to your body it will make the loads you're carrying feel a bit lighter.

OP
I
Thank you all for the replies. There are a ton of choices out there and Im really trying to avoid the "buy, sell, buy, sell" game. Being in central FL makes it even harder since I cant try on any quality packs so its all user input from guys like you.

CBreeze

FNG
I love flown commercial a lot and packed out a bunch of animals with my popup28. Don’t have much in the way of critiques

JoeDirt

WKR
I use my popup a lot for deer hunting. I bone and pack out my deer in one trip. I prefer the popup over the Metcalf rifle hunting because I can sling a rifle over my shoulder.

I would think the weight would be close to the same on Badlands vs MR

okccj

FNG
Personally, I didn't love the pop up 28 for stand hunting. A bit too bulky.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
I have a Badlands Clutch and this year got a MR Pop UP 28. I wanted something less bulky for day hunting but with the ability to pack meat. The Pop-up extened frame & load shelf worked great, got the buck out in two trips:

j9WzGUh.jpg

mHhw5GE.jpg

eXyIjh2.jpg
Pack worked out great for that! That meat shelf is a fantastic design, pretty sure the Badlands Ascent wouldn’t have been able to pack out you meat like that.

I was pretty much sold on a Badlands Diablo DOS for day hunting / hiking / etc until I stumbled on to the Pop Up. Can’t wait to get my hands on one!

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
The fabric on the Badlands is more quite and makes less noise when brush rubs against it. Also on the BL the rubber patch on the shoulder strap does help hold the rifle sling in place.

Last edited: