MR Sawtooth 45 or Exo Mountain K3 3200??

MR Sawtooth 45 or Exo K3 3200?

• Total voters
Hello all. Upgrading my smaller pack. Have narrowed down between these 2. I was 100% set on the Exo, then I saw how similar the weight is on these 2, and how many storage spots there are inside the MR and it really caught my eye.

MR is quoted @ 5lb 5oz. Exo is 5lb 6oz to 5lb 9oz depending if you have the lid attached. So the weights are basically the same , even though the MR is a couple hundred ci smaller.

Price difference isn't a concern.

Used for 1-3 day hunts. Possibly for packing out meat. Taking the place of a Kuiu 1850 and Kuiu 2300. Just want 1 pack to do both jobs. And for my own reasons, I'm done with Kuiu frame packs. Still have a Kuiu Venture 2300 for light duty.

Thanks in advance for any input! I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Rob5589

WKR
I love my Exo 3500. Looking at the MR, it looks as though there are some longish pockets inside where as Exo places them outside. If using them for a tripod, spotter, etc, the Exo looks to be a more efficient design. I'd prefer not to break into the pack every time I need the tripod. The MR uses a smaller pocket outside that looks like you could use for a tripod. Not sure if you could stuff and secure a spotter in there. Plus you would lose that for a water bottle, if that's your deal. MR has pouches built into the pack, Exo uses separate stash pouches. Having a removable lid is nice if you want to run it in day mode and "slim" out the pack some.

Buy both, give them a try, send back the one you do not prefer. Exo has a 30 day return policy. MR likely has the same kind of deal. Good luck , hard to go wrong either way.

I have the sawtooth and packed out 3 elk last year in Colorado. Worked great on packing out, very comfortable. You can carry a tripod on the outside, not sure if I would carry the spotter there. Belt has molle for water bottle pouch if needed. MR also has a new lid you can add to the sawtooth for extra capacity.

I have no experience with the Exo however I just got this sawtooth. It is no comparison to the 2009 badlands 2200 it replaced. No meat hauling yet.

I had it out the other day training for the fall. I do intend to get the lid, hip pockets,, and the blaze stick-it down the road. Now I did not have my camelbak bladder inside but as pictured I had 3 days worth of food, spotter and tripod, sleep system, etc to last me 3 days. I had no room left however I am confident in this pack and confident that I can get a 3 day stay out if it. So far it is the best pack I have owned.
e9dc6127a6a80008d905f41c9d7a6cdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the new guidelight MT frame (outside of trying it on at the local store... but they all feel good empty) but I bought a pintler with the guidelight last year and had terrible slippage with greater than 40 pounds in it and it put an incredible amount of pressure on my lower spine with the small lumbar pad they provide. I contacted MR for help fitting to no avail. There are threads here with guys experiencing similar slippage with the new frame also so I suspect the results are similar for people with my build even with the MT frame. I finally sold it and bought a K3 4800 and I can tell you without a doubt it is night and day difference for me. The Exo didn't slip once last year packing out 3 elk in 4 days and i didn't have any sore spots at all. I was impressed.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
3200 is 5lb 1oz with lid. Bout a half pound lighter than you're thinking. Im ordering a 3200 tonight

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
And buying all the extras for an MR pack puts it a lot closer in price to an exo.

Elkangle

WKR
I like the lay out on the exo much better...more versatile

I sent the saw tooth back

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Looked at, tested and returned a number of backpacks from the top makers and settled in on EXO. Not to say Mystery Ranch doesn't make a great bag. They absolutely do. But the fit and comfort for me was significantly better with the EXO.

I have no experience with the new guidelight MT frame (outside of trying it on at the local store... but they all feel good empty) but I bought a pintler with the guidelight last year and had terrible slippage with greater than 40 pounds in it and it put an incredible amount of pressure on my lower spine with the small lumbar pad they provide. I contacted MR for help fitting to no avail. There are threads here with guys experiencing similar slippage with the new frame also so I suspect the results are similar for people with my build even with the MT frame. I finally sold it and bought a K3 4800 and I can tell you without a doubt it is night and day difference for me. The Exo didn't slip once last year packing out 3 elk in 4 days and i didn't have any sore spots at all. I was impressed.
What is your build? I'm 5'9" 165lb and I have a lower back issue. Slightly concerned that a MR would give me similar results as what you experienced

OP
R
You guys are awesome. Tons of great advice here. Keep it coming. I greatly appreciate it!

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Took my 3200 out today near mt Batchelor 7.5 miles with roughly 30lbs. Felt great at 5'6 122.

Attachments

• 20200815_122438.jpg
    20200815_122438.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200815_122140.jpg
    20200815_122140.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
K3 3200 is in the mail
you will love it. i own a couple MR packs and an EXO k2, the EXO is just such a nice pack. more comfortable in hunting mode and loaded down, and i can just haul more weight in the EXO. i like MR packs, they are solid and pretty well thought out, but imo, EXO is on a different level for me... simple, practical design, comfortable in hunt mode, and hauls a load like a boss.

i know pack fit is very individual, like boot fit, and i'm skinny, but the EXO is just my favorite pack on the market (have not tried the duplex lite) they allow me to pack more weight, and do it comfortably.

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I was almost dead set on the MR Sawtooth 45 until I came across this thread...now the EXO is looking like the better option!

OP
R
I've now had a chance to use my exo for the whole archery season. It's my pack when hiking in all day and preparing for a possible pack out of an animal. So far I am very happy with it. Holds everything I need and then some. Fits well. And everything locks in tight. One of my buddies even commented , when following me on a long pack in, how much he hates me because I was carrying more gear than him, and nothing on my pack was swinging around. It was all locked in tight. Lots of straps. Lots of organization. So far I'm not at all upset about the purchase . Thanks a ton for the advice guys. Hoping to get it bloody with the upcoming rifle season