MR Sawtooth 45

Rokbar

WKR
I just got my Sawtooth that I bought like new from another site. I am really being impressed. This is my first "REAL"pack. I always used a 10lb large Alice pack, even for day hunts. I have not added weight yet. It took me a little bit figure out all the bells and whistles. The guy I got it from shipped it in a large flat rate box. He had to disassemble the belt together it in the box. After about 30 minutes I got the puzzle together, got the torso adjusted and fits like a glove. Its the S/M and belt and all fit fine with plenty of adjustment left (I have a 36" waist). This pack seems to be the perfect fit for day hunts or 1-2 day over nighters. I plan on getting a lid soon as well. 2 side stretch pockets, 1top pocket, and large zipper to access main compartment. Look forward to trying out with some weight soon!

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I added the lid to mine.

View attachment 185941

That's an interesting way to play your DayLid. I would have never thought of connecting it that way.
I just replaced that Sawtooth with my older Pintler because I could not find a better way to apply my Alpine Lid, at that time. Thanks for sharing

when I had the Sawtooth 45 with Alpine Lid
laov9MRl.jpg

tam9492

WKR
Which year is your Sawtooth? Did you add the accessory straps to make the lid work(if yours is not the 2020 model with the attachment points).

It's a 2020. Just got it a few weeks ago. I did use the accessory straps after trying multiple configurations. So far, the way I have it attached fits the best. It really forms to the shape of the bag, especially when full.

OP
R

Rokbar

WKR
IMG_1781.jpegIMG_1779.jpeg
This is the sawtooth I bought. Im assuming its a 2019from the tag? Would the lid offered from MR's site work on it? Its just a good size back, light, comfortable, will do more than I need. I am thinking about getting another to give to dad to use.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 186291View attachment 186292
This is the sawtooth I bought. Im assuming its a 2019from the tag? Would the lid offered from MR's site work on it? Its just a good size back, light, comfortable, will do more than I need. I am thinking about getting another to give to dad to use.
How it'll look, probably

I added the lid to mine.

View attachment 185941

I've been waiting for a big sale like Black Ovis had this past weekend to buy the Sawtooth 45. I bought it with the Lid and saved a bunch of $$$ on both, plus I got a free rain cover.

The pack was delivered yesterday and the lid came this morning. I've been playing around with them today, and have come to the conclusion that, holy shit, that's a lot more volume than my Pop Up 28!! Knowing that the Sawtooth alone would have the extra volume I was looking for, I bought the lid just so I could dump the main bag and use the lid with just the essentials for a stalk. I think it's going to work out perfectly in that capacity. However, it's nice to know I have the versatility if I ever need another 900 ins.

tam9492

WKR
I've been waiting for a big sale like Black Ovis had this past weekend to buy the Sawtooth 45. I bought it with the Lid and saved a bunch of $$$ on both, plus I got a free rain cover.

The pack was delivered yesterday and the lid came this morning. I've been playing around with them today, and have come to the conclusion that, holy shit, that's a lot more volume than my Pop Up 28!! Knowing that the Sawtooth alone would have the extra volume I was looking for, I bought the lid just so I could dump the main bag and use the lid with just the essentials for a stalk. I think it's going to work out perfectly in that capacity. However, it's nice to know I have the versatility if I ever need another 900 ins.

Exactly my thoughts with the purchase. Not too big for a day pack, but large enough with the lid to get away for a few nights. I think it'll proove to be really versitile. I'll still probably grab the Beartooth when they bag-only option goes live later this summer.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a metcalf for me, a women’s metcalf for my wife, and a pop up 28 for my son from blackovis last week and saved over $300. Fed ex delivered them yesterday and I am very impressed. My son already put a 12lb weighted blanket and a 10lb bag of pinto beans in his and has been walking laps around our 10 acre pasture. I don’t think he told his mom he was taking her beans for a hike lol

Exactly my thoughts with the purchase. Not too big for a day pack, but large enough with the lid to get away for a few nights. I think it'll proove to be really versitile. I'll still probably grab the Beartooth when they bag-only option goes live later this summer.

If MR would release a bunch of the revised Metcalf bags only, and Black Ovis would have another great sale, I'd be first in line. I'm in my mid 60s and I think that's about as big as I care to go. I'll let the young bucks buy the Marshalls and Beartooths (Bearteeth? Ha!), and show me how buff they are.

tam9492

WKR
If MR would release a bunch of the revised Metcalf bags only, and Black Ovis would have another great sale, I'd be first in line. I'm in my mid 60s and I think that's about as big as I care to go. I'll let the young bucks buy the Marshalls and Beartooths (Bearteeth? Ha!), and show me how buff they are.

What I really wanted was something sized in between the Sawtooth and Beartooth with the same type of accessibility. The Terraframe 65 fits the bill perfectly, but no earthtone colors.

Wapiti16

FNG
I got a 2019 Sawtooth last year and loved it. The new MR frame/belt is the ticket. When I saw that MR had released the new Daypack Lid for 2020, I definitely wanted to add one on my Sawtooth. The daypack lid works with only 2020 packs, unfortunately. I bought one anywany and spoke with a pack repair company in Colorado. We took some time to figure it out and it looks like only a couple buckles need to be added so that the 2019 Sawtooth will accept the daypack lid correctly (as shown in some of the photos above). I was going to send it off a couple months back, but COVID struck, haha. Will get it done this summer.

I originally bought my Sawtooth for day hunting, but I'm going to try to stretch it out into a 3 day pack. I know this will vary widely depending on each person's kit, but do ya'll think I could fit 3 days of gear/food in it? I think so. The Sawtooth is 2750 ci, the lid is 700 ci, so we're looking at almost 3500 ci total. Plus I could always use the load shelf and a dry cell if I needed to.

I got a 2019 Sawtooth last year and loved it. The new MR frame/belt is the ticket. When I saw that MR had released the new Daypack Lid for 2020, I definitely wanted to add one on my Sawtooth. The daypack lid works with only 2020 packs, unfortunately. I bought one anywany and spoke with a pack repair company in Colorado. We took some time to figure it out and it looks like only a couple buckles need to be added so that the 2019 Sawtooth will accept the daypack lid correctly (as shown in some of the photos above). I was going to send it off a couple months back, but COVID struck, haha. Will get it done this summer.

I originally bought my Sawtooth for day hunting, but I'm going to try to stretch it out into a 3 day pack. I know this will vary widely depending on each person's kit, but do ya'll think I could fit 3 days of gear/food in it? I think so. The Sawtooth is 2750 ci, the lid is 700 ci, so we're looking at almost 3500 ci total. Plus I could always use the load shelf and a dry cell if I needed to.

Hard to answer your question without knowing what your typical kit consists of and your personal needs. I read on here of lots of guys using the Sawtooth for 2-3 days out, all the time.

Personally, I'm getting too old for that crap, so I haven't tried it with the Sawtooth. But, I'm sure it would work for me and my gear for 2 or three nights. Anymore, I want to come back to a nice camp for a hot meal, a cold beer and a long hot shower. I bought the Sawtooth in case I shot a moose late in the day way back in the willywhacks in Newfoundland and had no choice but to spend the night out.

Last edited: