MR Sawtooth for 4+ day trips?

johnw3474

FNG
I am new to the forum, but have been browsing a while. I hope to do a big game trip out west in 21 or 22. When I do get a trip together, I hope to stay out 4 -6 days to make it worth the trip west. I have never hunted big game in the west, so if there is any blatant ignorance I welcome constructive criticism. I have logged a lot of nights backpacking all over the country and I hunt in the south east. I need to get a new backpack and I would really love a Mystery Ranch bag. My dad has a Dana Designs bag that is nearly 30 years old and still going strong, so I am familiar with the bullet proof nature. My current bag is a Gregory Whitney 95 and with improved gear I never fill it up, even for week plus trips and "muleing" extra gear for my wife. I want something smaller and lighter, but if it could double as a hunting bag that would be great. I also know once hunting I will be carrying more gear than my standard hiking kit.

The Sawtooth seems like an great option for a one size fits all. Small enough to use for a white tail hunt, day hike, short over night camping trip, add a day pack lid and dry bag on the shelf and you have a 95 liter pack for big trips and hauling out meat. Am I missing something here? Not against looking at the Selway 60, Terraframe 50, or 65. Just seems like I could get what I need out of the smaller bag, I know going to Terraframe line would save money, but I think the updated frame system is worth the cheese.

Last edited:
I used to use a 3000 ci bag for day hunts and kinda got sick of all the extra and un used space so I downsized. FWIW I could get a week of archery hunting in with it, I'd just put food in a dry bag strapped to the top so probably in that 4000 ci range. If you are just wanting one I think you're right the Sawtooth would work. Just remember there is a difference between early Sept archery and November pack in deer hunts as far as space needed for gear.

wyosam

WKR
If early season, I’d think the sawtooth could be made to work. I use the Selway, and love it. I used to use a Metcalf with a small bag (mule or Pintler) fir day trips. Decided to simply, and went to the selway. I do still have a mule bag I can swap on for day hunts, but haven’t really bothered. The selway is light and cinches tight when Space isn’t needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to the forum, but have been browsing a while. I hope to do a big game trip out west in 21 or 22. When I do get a trip together, I hope to say out 4 -6 days to make it worth the trip west. I have never hunted big game in the west, so if there is any blatant ignorance I welcome constructive criticism. I have logged a lot of nights backpacking all over the country and I hunt in the south east. I need to get a new backpack and I would really love a Mystery Ranch bag. My dad has a Dana Designs bag that is nearly 30 years old and still going strong, so I am familiar with the bullet proof nature. My current bag is a Gregory Whitney 95 and with improved gear I never fill it up, even for week plus trips and "muleing" extra gear for my wife. I want something smaller and lighter, but if it could double as a hunting bag that would be great. I also know once hunting I will be carrying more gear than my standard hiking kit.

The Sawtooth seems like an great option for a one size fits all. Small enough to use for a white tail hunt, day hike, short over night camping trip, add a day pack lid and dry bag on the shelf and you have a 95 liter pack for big trips and hauling out meat. Am I missing something here? Not against looking at the Selway 60, Terraframe 50, or 65. Just seems like I could get what I need out of the smaller bag, I know going to Terraframe line would save money, but I think the updated frame system is worth the cheese.
The Sawtooth is a great pack. I have mine set up just as you describe, with a hunting day lid (700ci) and a dry bag on the shelf. I haven't done any extended stays with it yet. Those days are pretty much over for me. I bought it in case I dumped a moose too late in the day to get back to base camp, and had to spend the night out in Newfoundland. Covid has put that on hold.

With your experience, and with that set up, I think you'll be good to go 4 days, for sure, and maybe a bit longer with just your gear. A lot will depend on how much of your wife's gear you'll be carrying.

I really like the access provided by the 270* horseshoe zipper and comfort of the Guide Light MT frame. I can easily fit a whole boned out frozen antelope or almost a whole mule deer in it for my flight home as my overhead carryon bag. It's a great day pack with the lid removed, though I usually use a Pop Up 28 for most of my day hunts.

If you feel that you might need more capacity, take a look at the Metcalf.

You could make it work. With a dry bag on the frame, the sawtooth capacity is probably quite a bit more than you care to carry.

I personally prefer to have camp gear in the backpack bag instead of. The shelf when possible. I have done 4-7 day backpackng trips with a 45 liter bag. However, I find I prefer a bigger bag than the sawtooth for more than a couple of days huntiNg, keeping mind, I carry things when I hunt that I wound take on a backpacking trip.

You could make it work. With a dry bag on the frame, the sawtooth capacity is probably quite a bit more than you care to carry.

I personally prefer to have camp gear in the backpack bag instead of. The shelf when possible. I have done 4-7 day backpackng trips with a 45 liter bag. However, I find I prefer a bigger bag than the sawtooth for more than a couple of days huntiNg, keeping mind, I carry things when I hunt that I wound take on a backpacking trip.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I have the sawtooth and had the same thought you did about using the load shelf to pack my "camp" and keep my huntingstuff in the bag for a day pack. It worked this year, but I've found I'm not real happy with the 270 zipper. It seemed like every time I needed something I had to lay the bag flat (sometimes a PITA with the belt in the way) and open the zipper all the way to get at items at the bottom. Then, you have to repack everything just right to get the zipper closed again. I found myself wishing for a bag with a top opening and maybe a side zipper or even a U-shaped zipper like on the EXO 4800. I'm not going to give up on it yet and plan to do some spring/summer camping with it set up as mentioned with the dry bag plus pack.

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the new Terraframe packs have the same frame and harness as their hunting packs

OP
J

johnw3474

FNG
I have the sawtooth and had the same thought you did about using the load shelf to pack my "camp" and keep my huntingstuff in the bag for a day pack. It worked this year, but I've found I'm not real happy with the 270 zipper. It seemed like every time I needed something I had to lay the bag flat (sometimes a PITA with the belt in the way) and open the zipper all the way to get at items at the bottom. Then, you have to repack everything just right to get the zipper closed again. I found myself wishing for a bag with a top opening and maybe a side zipper or even a U-shaped zipper like on the EXO 4800. I'm not going to give up on it yet and plan to do some spring/summer camping with it set up as mentioned with the dry bag plus pack.
You made a great point. My first backpack I ever had was a Mountain Smith Shavano (I think). It is maybe a 35-40l bag. It as a U shaped zipper with three zippers so you can coordinate where you open it. From the bottom, along the sides, what ever. It also has the traditional top load opening. I had nearly forgotten how much I liked that bag until my nephew and I went for a backpacking trip and he used it. Very functional design. I think I will be stealing it back to use for my white tail hunts on public land in the south. Will have plenty of room to strap a stand to and pack meat out with. That will free up the budget for the larger options from MR!

Dooger

FNG
I have a Sawtooth I’d be willing to part with. I bought it this year and it hasn’t been in the field. The tags are off, but still in the pack. I need something bigger for a longer trip next year. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I guess the love it or hate it thing with the 270*
U- shaped zipper is each individual's personal preference. That's fine. I do want to point out that the zipper has two pull slides so you can open just the part of the pack that you want access to without opening the whole thing. I keep them both at the midway point on the side of the pack. If I want access to the top half of the pack, I pull just that slide. Access to the bottom? You got it. Pull just that slide. You can position the slides any where in between for whatever access you want.

I just wanted to be sure you understood that about the zipper before it became a deal breaker for you. Good luck with whatever pack you choose.

EmperorMA

WKR
I believe the new Terraframe packs have the same frame and harness as their hunting packs
Absolutely correct. The TerraFrame packs all use the new Guide Light MT Frame.

I went with a TerraFrame 65 which I feel is the perfect size for up to five days without having to use the meat shelf for gear. I pack very light and I knew I didn’t need a Beartooth for my application, even though that was my dream pack for a long time. I just don’t need to carry that much stuff. My old ass, back, knees and ankles simply don’t need the abuse!

I’m also a huge fan of the Sawtooth, as it was my favorite configuration of all the packs I tested. I just had to be realistic and admit that for me, it is no more than a weekend pack. It gets cold and snows a lot here (we’re expecting up to 30” in the mountains this weekend), and the gear/clothing necessary to deal with this takes up some room. This led me to the Selway, which I liked but felt I needed a bit more organization. I liked the zipper on the Sawtooth/Beartooth bags but wanted some extra compartments to be able to readily access important items. The TerraFrame 65, with the same Guide Light MT frame, was the perfect solution. I LOVE the two back pockets, the lid pocket and that full U-zip that gives me access to everything.

I bought a 38L Pintler bag only for day hunting which fits easily onto the frame. I couldn’t be happier with this setup. Well, I might be a tiny bit happier if Mystery Ranch offered the Sawtooth as a bag-only option, but that is picking nits.

OP
J

johnw3474

FNG
Thanks for all the insight. I also see where the MR website does say the Terraframes have the updated frames. I overlooked that or it hadn't been updated when I made my original post Unless you really wanted one the camo or hunting colors, any advantages for the added cost of the hunting bags vs back packing bags? The materials, zippers etc. seem to be the same.

OP
J

johnw3474

FNG
I have a Sawtooth I’d be willing to part with. I bought it this year and it hasn’t been in the field. The tags are off, but still in the pack. I need something bigger for a longer trip next year. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Sorry for the late reply here. I do not have enough post to do a PM yet. Can you initiate that?