MR Selway vs Metcalf

I’m looking for my first hunting backpack. Up until now my backpacking experience has been more lightweight oriented and not hunting oriented.

Price is a big factor for me and GoHunt has a good sale on the MR Selway and the MR Metcalf right now.

I like the 3 zip design of the Selway and the lighter weight, but I’m not sure if it will be big enough. My max trip length will be 5 nights, and my “large” gear is relatively light weight (down quilt, neoair sleeping pad, tarptent double rainbow).

What do y’all think, Selway or Metcalf?

The Selway is capable of 5 nights if you pack it right. My biggest problem with the Selway is it virtually has no pockets inside. One little tiny one on the very top. I would vote Metcalf.

JohnnyB

WKR
If you are typically doing the 3-5 nighters, you may prefer the Metcalf. I have the Metcalf and love it, two of my buddies have Selway bags and they are very nice.

My personal preference would be to get the Metcalf now to cover your longest duration and add a Pintler bag for shorter outings. This is what I have ended up doing. Selway is a nice bag so you can't go wrong either way.

come2elmo

WKR
Aside from the lack of pockets I kinda view my selway as a metcalf without the hat.. I am not sure how MR calculates the total liters but It appears to me the main bags are probably close in size and the extra capacity comes from the detachable top bag. If I could find a screaming deal on a foliage mule for an original GL frame (hint, hint) I thought I might strap that on my selway to make up the difference on extended day hunts. Besides you can find some good deals on selways as they appear to be discontinued.

OP
U
That's a good point about the Selway being like a Metcalf without the lid.

I guess I could run the Metcalf without the lid when I don't need it if I want to save weight, or I could add a lid to the Selway if I do need it.

I've got a Selway and am happy with it. I can definitely fit 5 days of gear although I don't bring a ton of stuff.
The difference between Metcalf and Selway is just personal preference. I like the Tri-zip and the mini-lid for the Selway and don't need a lot of organization in my pack. Others might prefer the lid and a top load pack. Selway is 1/2 lighter.

I have a like new (spare) size small Selway on the new guide lite MT frame I'd let go for a good price. PM if interested...

jfs82

WKR
Haven't taken it for 5 but I've had no problem packing 4 days in my Selway. If my areas were real cold and I need more/bulkier gear for that I'd go bigger for a 5 nighter.

I am in the same boat, do I buy the Selway for an all around pack or spring for a Metcalf and buy the Pintler bag?

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Marshall and pintler. I have the older guide lite frame. I really love the pintler for a day pack or might even work for a overnighter. The Marshall is a really nice and large pack. I had the terra frame before and I prefer the Marshall to the terra frame

OP
U
Thanks for all of the replies. In the end, I decided to order the Metcalf.

It seemed like the more versatile option because I can remove the lid to save weight if I don’t need it.

I bought the MR selway about a year ago. Overall really like the bag but I’m wishing now I would have went with the bigger metcalf.

Popper

FNG
I just went through all this as well, went with the metcalf because of how well it synches down tight when not loaded up so it can be used as a day pack. Rather have extra space and not need it than need ot and not have it.

Jon

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I think I had a similar thread to this recently. I see the Selway and Metcalf on camofire.com for reasonable deals pretty regularly. My Metcalf will be here Monday 😁

lokifox

FNG
I picked up the Selway for myself as a do-all day pack for walk in hunting where weather conditions change (Midwest) and for shorter weekend trips. It's a perfect day pack for when temperatures swing 50 degrees and you are walking in for the day with a sandwich and thermos of coffee.

I did a 5 day in December last year and had to lash my food to the outside of the pack. Between the heavier sleep kit and the extra clothing I had it crammed 110% full. I guess I could have used the loadout feature but it wasn't really necessary.

On that note... If you are planning on doing long duration hunts where you may need more gear, I would go bigger.