MRAD Scope w/ Yards Range Finder

I am trying to figure this out in my head, and I'm getting confused. Hoping someone here can help me. I just got a 6.5 CM BCA AR10 for longer-range shooting and hunting. I'm looking at a scope that has exposed turrets for dialing distance. What I'm struggling with is my range finder is in yards, the potential scope is in milrad. I know that for MOA, one click = 1/4" at 100 yards. So if I need to dial for 500 yards, and I'm 0'd at 100, I'd move x moa based on where I hit. My question is how do I adjust a Mil rad turret if my rangefinder is measuring in yards? I have a vortex angle comp RF I use for bow hunting, but I don't believe it measures in meters. So how do I figure out my dial up?

it's pretty simple - don't think in inches, get your ballistics solution in mils and dial whatever it is.

OP
MikeMncini
I must be really dense, I'm sorry. I read that whole article, and I just feel... whooped. I don't understand what you're saying. "Don't think in inches, get your ballistics solution in mils, and dial..." makes sense, but given what I have to work with, which is a range finder that measures in yards, are you saying convert the yards to mils and dial that?

rangefinder tells you range - ballistics solver tells you the mils to adjust for that range. some rangefinders have the ballistics solver built in, perhaps that's what is telling you inches? if so, you can probably change it to output the mils adjustment.

A mil is just an angular measurement.

TxLite

WKR
I think you are confusing yourself and overcomplicating it.

Download a ballistic solver app on your phone or use one online. Plug in your shot distance (given in yards by the rangefinder), bullet velocity, bullet BC, etc., and set it to spit out your drop in mils. Dial the number of mils provided and confirm point of impact.

You don't have to convert anything to anything, the app will do what you need it to do.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
1 mil at 100 yards = 3.6". But you shouldn't be thinking about drop in inches. Even if you are using and MOA scope. The worst thing to happen to shooting is for 1 MOA at 100 yards to be almost 1".

MOA =/= yards
MILS =/= meters

This isn't a metric vs standard thing.

Google what and MOA is and a MIL is and that may help.

first, your rangefinder should have the option to read meters, just check the directions. second besides what has been said, if you really need to think in inches then each click of a mil scope is 3/8 inch @ 100 instead of the 1/4" of MOA.

Mojave

WKR
I have four different apps on my smart phone for ballistics. Hornady, Norma, Lapua and Strelok Pro. You can find them from ammo companies, optics companies and engineering companies.

1. Download the app

2. Select your scope

3. Select scope height from bore.

4. Select your bullet.

5. Select your projectile speed.

6. Set your sight in parameters.

7. Range your target, dial and shoot.

You will have other things to select: weather, altitude, wind, corolis, and quite a bit more.

You can print out a drop chart for your altitude and weather.

Doing math is for engineers. I am a biologist.

xsn10s

WKR
I must be really dense, I'm sorry. I read that whole article, and I just feel... whooped. I don't understand what you're saying. "Don't think in inches, get your ballistics solution in mils, and dial..." makes sense, but given what I have to work with, which is a range finder that measures in yards, are you saying convert the yards to mils and dial that?
rangefinder tells you range - ballistics solver tells you the mils to adjust for that range. some rangefinders have the ballistics solver built in, perhaps that's what is telling you inches? if so, you can probably change it to output the mils adjustment.

A mil is just an angular measurement.
Yup what you need is a ballistics app or commonly known as a ballistics computer. I use two free apps installed in my phone and a lot of my "homework" is done at home on my computer. Like @HnyBeans said youtube is your friend to figure out these apps. But basically what you do is set up the app with all your rifle and ammo's information beforehand. And then when you range a target you plug in the yardage and other pertinent information such as wind and temp. It will give you the "mils" for elevation and windage. Dial in the elevation and either dial the windage or holdover and you're ready to fire.

I just want to know how the heck you guys get animals to stand there while you range, take weather readings, type it all in your phone then dial and shoot? seems to me it would be easier to just learn mils. and understanding mils to inches will help with using the reticle for range estimation.

KurtR

WKR
I just want to know how the heck you guys get animals to stand there while you range, take weather readings, type it all in your phone then dial and shoot? seems to me it would be easier to just learn mils. and understanding mils to inches will help with using the reticle for range estimation.
How many times have you actually used the reticle for ranging an animal? How do you get them to stand there and get the right measurements. I have shot comps where we know the size of the plates and can do the math with a range card and really good shooters are still off enough they miss. A range finder and entering the numbers in a app on the phone is faster and way more accurate than using the reicle. Most times when it comes to that animals are far enough away of you are on that big of a hurry you probably should not be shooting. Or you could just have the range card taped to your stock with the yardage and dial it .

Mojave

WKR
Never had a problem with this before. Range dial shoot. I have the drop charts taped to my stock on a laminated card.