MSR Carbon Flex 2 on Backcountrygear.com for $299

Anyone have any experience with this tent. I have read that the polls sometimes fracture... This is the 2011 model with 2 vestibules rather than 1. Does this tent give ample floor space for two? Im in a pickle the MSR Reflex, MontBell Cresent 2, or the Akto. I did not like the size of the BA Fly Creek UL2.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Be CAREFUL when ordering from them one if not more of the members here ordered it before only to be told it was an error and that they wouldn't sell it to them at that price.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you didn't like the size of the FL2, than I would take the Akto out of the equation as well.

Rossinbag has used the Carbon Flex for a year, so he would be the best person I know to ask.

Bearhunter,

I have the Hubba hubba, which I believe is the same size, and there is room for 2 people, but not much more than that. The rain fly gives you plenty of room on both sides of the tent for keeping your gear dry. I also have a Carbon Reflex 1. I love that tent, and it goes on all of my hikes unless my wife or daughter goes with me. Both are solid tents and I have never got wet in either of them, having weathered out several rainstorms. Hope this helps.

SW

OP
Bearhunter
Akto is in my options if I decide to bag the whole 2 man idea and go strictly with a 1 man. Ive got a goat tag and I keep thinking that the Akto is the best tent for my 2012 season but then start thinking my wife may be with me on some of the scouting trips.... With the last week of researching, I am surprised how many options are out there. Just trying to make the right decision and accomidate the best of both worlds. Thanks Aron and Shane!

Hey, congrats on the goat tag. I lived in Mt. Vernon from 2002 to 2005 and I see you over on the Washington site. Wishing you the best! I have a mountain hardware drifter and I like the space but it is 6 lbs for the three man version.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
DO NOT ORDER THE TENT from them......me and RJ (phantom16) got royally friggin screwed on that deal.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went through that same thing (wife coming along). I actually ended up keeping her in the Akto and I stayed under a tarp/bivy combo.

It was still costly doing this, but having all of these seemed to give me the best and most versatile options.

shanevg

WKR
I'd look at a REI Half Dome. Inexpensive, light weight 2 man tent and then get spend your money on a Atko or another one man get that you like.

I've kind of stayed away from one man tents simply because I am so rarely hunting on my own. It sounds like you'll be with a buddy most of the time you are goat hunting, maybe look at a two man tent over the one man options. I certainly plan on accompanying you some of the time! ;)