MSR Carbon Reflex 1 vs Tarptent Stratosphire 1

DIY

WKR
Which one is a better tent?

I like the Idea of the tarptent but Im unsure how durable the fabric is due to how light it is ?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Stratosphire ?

IS the Tarptent easy to setup or should I go with old faithful and go with MSR?

Looking for a good lightweight tent used in the backcountry, I like the idea of a floor.

Another option is the Easton Kilo

Thanks

Kyle

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the MSR CR1 most of last year. Solid tent, fairly narrow sleeping area with decent size vestibule. I didn't have any problems at all. I used the Kilo on two trips the year prior. The tent was built fine but the vestibule was not very useable and you have to be cautious of front opening tents in wet weather. I still use a front opener so I don't mind. I have to little experience with the TT to comment on those.

OP
D

DIY

WKR
I like the durability of the CR1, however the size is a little tight. Im 6'4. There is other tents out there that are the same weight with more room, but im my concern is they are made of paper mache.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got my hands on a Big Agnes Platinum. It is thin, but no thinner than any other BA tent or MSR. Much more room than the CR1. Also, at 6'4" I am not even sure you would fit in a CR1 unless you weigh about 135.

OP
D

DIY

WKR
I fit into the hubba which is the same exact tent except it has regular poles instead of carbon