MSR DromLite bag

bowinhand

WKR
Who is using them as hydration systems with their packs and what size have you found to work well? How is it set up for use with a tube and could you post up some pics of your hydro rig?

Thanks
Tom

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I to use the 4L. Bought the hydration kit and then the insulated tube kit from camelbak. Works great. No pics though...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the 4L as water storage and back up only.
What do use as a drinking system?
I use the Nalgene Cantene as my water storage and the DromLite as the drinking system.
http://www.rei.com/product/626195/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-96-fl-oz
I've been debating adding a another DromLite to the kit as they are much more durable than the Nalgene... I tend to replace the Nalgene every other year or so due to minor leaks. Nalgene has covered me under warranty at least twice and for the $11 they cost I have eaten it a few times just to have one as I was headed out.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the 3L Platypus for drinking. I have had some issues with the Dromelite bags leaking when using the hydration kit, so I don't use them for that anymore. They were leaking at the connection between the bag and the hydration kit enough to be a deal breaker for me. I am sure they would fix/replace it if I wanted to, but the Platypus has never failed me so I am sticking with that for drinking.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the 3L Platypus for drinking. I have had some issues with the Dromelite bags leaking when using the hydration kit, so I don't use them for that anymore. They were leaking at the connection between the bag and the hydration kit enough to be a deal breaker for me. I am sure they would fix/replace it if I wanted to, but the Platypus has never failed me so I am sticking with that for drinking.
Hmmmm.. I'd hate to have that issue... Been using mine for 2-3 season without an issue, but the lid system is finicky.. I may pick up a different bladder just to be on the safe side and use the DromLite as my back up.... Something to mess around with / test on my July hikes... :)

Do you use the Hoser or the Big Zip system?

Last edited:
I have the drom lite 4L size wise it is perfect. With the hydration kit the connection sticks out kind of far and I have had it loosen and leak once. If I had it to do over again I would probably just use it as water storage and use the platypus big zip 3L. I have one of those for use as my dirty water bag with the sawyer in line. The platy big zip connection is super flat and I havent had any problems with it.