MSR fuel question

For the folks running MSR stoves, do you use only MSR fuel canisters? I just got a Windburner, and was wondering if it makes a difference.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help you with respect to the MSR stoves specifically. I can say that the MSR fuel blend has worked much better for me at low temperatures than Jetboil brand in my Jetboil flash.

Purely qualitative observations. I don't have numbers to back that up.

OP
Death from above
I can't help you with respect to the MSR stoves specifically. I can say that the MSR fuel blend has worked much better for me at low temperatures than Jetboil brand in my Jetboil flash.

Purely qualitative observations. I don't have numbers to back that up.
That's the kind of info I'm after. Thank you.

In warm conditions, all brands of fuel canisters will work equally well. In cold conditions, fuel blends with higher propane content (and lower isobutane/n-butane content) will perform better due to propane's lower boiling temperature. I've heard/read that MSR's fuel canisters have a higher propane content than others such as Coleman, but I can't confirm that.

OP
Death from above
In warm conditions, all brands of fuel canisters will work equally well. In cold conditions, fuel blends with higher propane content (and lower isobutane/n-butane content) will perform better due to propane's lower boiling temperature. I've heard/read that MSR's fuel canisters have a higher propane content than others such as Coleman, but I can't confirm that.
Thank you.

*zap*

WKR
You can just get a converter and run straight propane thru any canister stove when it is cold....very simple solution.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my Windburner with MSR fuel side by side with a Jetboil, I prefer the MSR..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
My windburner gives a little "poof" of fuel when screwing the canister on or off using Jetboil canisters. It didnt do that with the 1 msr canister that I've had.

Closest place to me that sells canisters is 3hrs away and they only sell jetboil so my experiences are very limited.

The Coleman brand canisters from Walmart is only good in warm weather. I have found that MSR brand seems to work best for me in cold weather (below freezing).

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Any of them work provided they use a standard lindal valve. The main differences are the fuel blends which really only make a difference at altitude or cold temps. I like MSR canisters the best, 2nd would be primus. I have enough primus fuel for probably another 5-10 years. I was in a dicks and they had the 8oz canisters incorrectly labeled as $1.50 each so I bought all they had which was around 30 canisters

Thanks for buying the American made Windburner over the made in China Jetboil.
I really haven’t noticed a difference between canister brands in my Reactor, but I haven’t used in extreme cold yet. I just bought a dozen of the little 4 oz. MSR canisters, so feel a little better after reading feedback in this thread.