MSR portable stove

Nwelkhunter81

Lil-Rokslider
I was recently given an MSR portable stove, but it didn't come with a pot or fuel. What would you recommend for fuel? I am just getting into backcountry hunting, so what would be a good suggestion for a pot? and pot size? I am really hoping to make it all collapsible inside itself for easy packing. Thanks for any suggestions

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Which stove is it? I run the MSR isobutane for my wind burner and some generic white gas for my whisperlite.

For my whisperlite I used a Snow Peak Titanium set for just me. If I'm using it for multiple people I have some larger aluminum backpacking pots that were my parents.

OP
Nwelkhunter81

Nwelkhunter81

Lil-Rokslider
Which stove is it? I run the MSR isobutane for my wind burner and some generic white gas for my whisperlite.

For my whisperlite I used a Snow Peak Titanium set for just me. If I'm using it for multiple people I have some larger aluminum backpacking pots that were my parents.

I think its a Pocket Rocket, I was thinking about running a 8oz ISO-PRO canister. But I am confused by the different options for pots and/or cook kits

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

vanish

WKR
I use a pocket rocket. Its designed to use those ISO-PRO canisters for fuel, nothing else. And it works just fine :)

The size you'll use depends on the length of your trip, what you're cooking (just boiling water or actually trying to cook something), how much of it and how much wind. An 8oz canister lasts me surprisingly long.

I have the minimalist version that I just keep in a BoB with my Pocket Rocket; looking back I wish I would have went with this since it's a 1L pot and will boil enough water for a Mtn House. If I wasn't utilizing a Jetboil I would consider this for the pocket rocket. Don't know if the stove can nest inside the pot. Might be something to test before buying. REI should have both the Soloist and a Pocket Rocket to try

^^^ The Olicamp XTS pot combined with a Pocket Rocket is the best budget cook setup you can get. Far superior to a Jetboil IMO. A little on the heavy side but worth it on fuel savings and boil time. The only thing a Pocket Rocket doesn't do well is cooking as it doesn't disperse the heat as well as a Snow Peak Gigapower. If you plan on cooking fish on a pan or something it's not the setup for you.

Clarktar

WKR
^^^ The Olicamp XTS pot combined with a Pocket Rocket is the best budget cook setup you can get. Far superior to a Jetboil IMO. A little on the heavy side but worth it on fuel savings and boil time. The only thing a Pocket Rocket doesn't do well is cooking as it doesn't disperse the heat as well as a Snow Peak Gigapower. If you plan on cooking fish on a pan or something it's not the setup for you.
Why is it superior to the jetboil?

I use a Soto windmaster and modified my old jetboil sumo pot so the fins of the stove fit right into the baffles on the pot. I think Poppa Moffat has a thread on this...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Why is it superior to the jetboil?

I use a Soto windmaster and modified my old jetboil sumo pot so the fins of the stove fit right into the baffles on the pot. I think Poppa Moffat has a thread on this...

My biggest problem is with the Jetboil stove itself, not the pot. It is way too low of output to be as efficient. However, I do think there are some advantages to the XTS pot over the Jetboil. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect due to the design that you won't have the same issues while melting snow that you do with the Jetboil. I also like the wider, shorter pot for stability purposes. The thing I like most about the Jetboil however is the neoprene sleeve and the color changing temperature gauge. I am also not a huge fan of the XTS lid as it is unnecessarily heavy and it's small pour hole results in projectile boiling water when you get a good rolling boil.

I ran something similar to you with a modified Jetboil pot on a Snow Peak Gigapower and it worked okay, but the Snow Peak directs it's flames too outward for the slim nature of the Jetboil pot so it was melting the neoprene.

16Bore

WKR
Big Jetboil fan. Easy, peasy. Have a SOL and an original, they just plain work.