MSR Windburner fuel consumption AK drop hunt

mcseal2

WKR
I bought a pair of MSR Windburner stoves for a drop camp 8 day caribou hunt this fall. The weight limit and windy conditions made an upgrade from my old set-up seem like a good idea.

I bought the 1L personal stove for boiling water on a glassing knob for a morning or lunch meal depending on the days hunt. One of the other guys has an equivalent jetboil for when we split up for the day. I also got the stove system combo with the skillet and later added a 4.5L pot to take instead of the 2.5L pot. This will stay at camp. Having 2 stoves with the same burner system offers redundancy in case of a stove breakage and lets us use multiple pots at once for group meals.

There are 3 of us going on the hunt. We will cook an evening group meal that will be more than boiling water for mountain house on 5 days. We will use the skillet for grayling or caribou and the large pots for sides and soups. Some require boiling 6-8 cups of water for 15 minutes, not just bringing it to a boil.

Finally to my point does anyone have experience with these stoves used this way, and how many fuel canisters would you recommend bringing? We have 3 4oz cans and 2 8oz cans sitting at the hangar in AK waiting for us now one of the guys bought. Just wanted to make sure this is plenty with the new cookset I have not used extensively yet. Thanks for any help you can give. We have a couole weeks to get more fuel if needed.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks. I have not done a lot of cooking real food with this type set-up and not just boiling water.