MSR XGK Artic Fuel Pump vs Regular

treillw

WKR
Hello.

Looking to get an MSR XGK for when my canister stove is too cold to work properly. I see that they have an artic fuel pump for it. This seems to be the way to go, since I plan in using the stove below zero. But then they have a statement that you shouldn't use it at temps above freezing. It could be 20 below for a couple days and then warm up to 45 degrees by the end of the week on the same trip. What do you do then?

Does it hurt to use it above freezing?
Am I better off going with the standard model that people have been using in all conditions for years?

It's intended to be a cold weather stove, but I can't control if it warms up!

Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
Can’t really answer your question specifically. I don’t have the xgk but have burned gallons of fuel with a dragonfly with regular pump no issues in summer to well below zero ice fishing.

If your that worried you can get a spare pump to keep in the car. On a major trip I’d probably have a spare pump handy, and I always keep the repair kit msr sells in the car.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
In your situation i would use the standard pump. The arctic pump is for well, the arctic , when sustained temps are below freezing. The only difference is the oring and seal materials. In extreme cold the original pump could leak because the orings wouldn’t spring back to shape. One way to help eliminate this is leaving the pump connected to the fuel bottle.

the regular pump has been around forever and works for the vast majority of conditions . Unless you are not going to see temps above freezing then stick with the regular. Personally I wouldn’t go arctic unless my highs were going to be say 5-10f and i was looking at temps of 0f and below consistently.