MT application question

Scoot

WKR
Montana and their preference points are goofy! Last year people with 0 pref points had a much higher chance to draw a license than this with 1 pref point.

I have three bonus points in MT and have a decent shot at drawing a LE permit I hope to hunt with those points. However, I obviously have to draw the license first. If I hope to hunt MT this year, I'm thinking I should apply without getting a preference point this year because I'll have better odds of drawing the license. If I hope/expect to draw a different tag next year, I'll get the preference point in MT so that the next time I hope/plan to draw in MT I'll have two preference points. Does that logic make sense to folks?

I need a Montana draw expert's opinion...

Riplip

WKR
Last year you would have had a 70% chance to draw with 0 PP and 34% chance to draw with 1 point. Who knows what will happen this year, but based on last year, your plan make sense.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Around 13k people didn’t draw with 1 preference pt in 2021 between elk only/combo, then factor in the people going through an outfitter can buy 2 pts and you might have a shit ton of folks applying next year with 2 pts.

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do they reserve a certain number of tags for people with 0 PP? That never made sense to me.

Is the 2 pts through an outfitter something new?

Is the 2 pts through an outfitter something new?
Yeah it is new. Lots of proposed changes this year. Make sure you look through the new regs when they come out in late February.

When did they start allocating 25% of the tags to “0” point applicants exclusively?
I'm not sure on that, to my knowledge it's been like that for the past few years. You are starting to see the impact of this since so many more people are applying.

Yeah it is new. Lots of proposed changes this year. Make sure you look through the new regs when they come out in late February.

I'm not sure on that, to my knowledge it's been like that for the past few years. You are starting to see the impact of this since so many more people are applying.
This has me reconsidering my approach for this year, I drew last year with one point but going in this year I may be more likely to draw with zero.
My father will be going in with two points so I’m likely headed to montana either way

fatlander

WKR
It’s all in the regulations, just read it. Use google.

The revised regs that will be effective 2022 have been plastered everywhere. Use google.

If you think you found a way to give you better odds of drawing a tag than conventional wisdom, don’t post it on an open forum where it will live for eternity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe so, and PP go from $50 to $100
Screw that! Blatant extortion. The way things are going in Montana I’m not sure if I’ll ever hunt there again. But wait…. Odds are best with no points. Lol They’ll never get it right.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden is pretty good at this stuff, but he might be too busy enjoying his retirement…🤣

nine years ago I probably could have helped (some); they've changed the NR draw enough since then so it's greek to me

I wouldn't be afraid of calling someone in the Licensing bureau, I'm sure they can at least shed some light on it

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Screw that! Blatant extortion. The way things are going in Montana I’m not sure if I’ll ever hunt there again. But wait…. Odds are best with no points. Lol They’ll never get it right.
Just imagine in the not so distant future having so many people with max 3 pts that it’s not even 100% draw with with max pp. well played MT, but $1300?? Think I’ll just start cow hunting, or grouse hunting in September.

Bear2022

FNG
If I have only one preference point can I apply like I have zero or am I stuck applying with one preference point.

hobbes

WKR
I have no idea if you can apply like you have zero. I wouldn't think so. If you can, and half the folks with 3 points decide to do that along with another 5000 new applicants. The success rate with zero points is going down drastically next year. Instead of 2500 tags for 5000 applicants, you'll have 2500 tags for 10,000 applicants. Any way that you try to beat the system will be a short term solution once every applicant gets the notice on the internet.

Bear2022

FNG
As Dos pointed out you could always buy another point at time of application, then you would have two at time of application.
Thanks for that information that’s what I will do I didn’t know that buying the preference point applied to the same year.