MT archery elk questions

I've been debating making this thread for a bit - I know making threads asking about areas, even regions is "faux pas". I'm gonna try to keep it short, sweet and use abbreviations(and no unit numbers) to potentially keep this off google search.

My original plan was to go with a buddy, and I was considering Indian summers scouting service. My buddy, however, is really leaning toward rifle and its not that I'm not interesting in rifle hunting, I would rather archery hunt if I'm being honest. The weather should be nicer, hopefully less pressure(I'm not kidding myself on being alone). I feel like hunting during archery when they at least have a chance of being vocal is gonna go a long way with figuring out where they are and making opportunities.

Going with someone, I wasn't too concerned about grizzlies - I figured worst come to worst we could hit a grizzly unit and MAYBE have a small shot at less pressure... now with the realization I may be doing this alone, that's kinda out the window. I'm not sure how I'd feel stalking around solo with grizzlies present. Not only that, that certainly pushes the IS scouting package out of the budget since it would no longer be a shared expense... not only that, even if I said "hey lets buy a scouting package for a rifle area", its not like I'm gonna be able to go back and hunt that during archery.

With this said, it pushes me out of "grizzly zones" and into historical "non-grizzly zones"... I say historical, because even in the known non-grizzly areas it seems like people have mentioned seeing them. I briefly considered an area well south of Missoula, but after doing some research it seems like that area is a better wintering/rifle area. Next up was the WSS/LB area, but it seems like that's overrun with people looking to escape grizzlies as well(at least from accounts I've read online)... I have heard there are animals there, though.

My question is this - is any of the western part of the state/associated units worth looking at for a novice, or should I stick to the aforementioned area? I'm valuing opportunity over any kind of "trophy" quality. Cow, spike, big bull - if its legal its getting the poke... obviously this all hinges on actually drawing an elk tag. I should probably clarify - I don't necessarily mind an area where grizzlies are super low in numbers and are rarely seen, but the areas in the south central part of the state around the park, while I've heard there are animals, I've also heard the density of grizzlies is way higher. I feel like hunting solo down there would be playing with fire. Maybe I don't get burned, but...

Any conversations or responses(other than a simple "yes" or "no"), I'd prefer a PM.

OTH

FNG
If I were you I wouldn't overthink the grizzly thing too much. I frequently hunt alone in grizzly rich areas in SW montana and I've never had any issues...obviously that doesn't mean it couldn't happen the very next time I'm out there though. I think if you can give yourself a good idea of factors that lead to aggressive bear encounters and how to manage those risks you'll be better off than if you limit your hunting spots. There have basically been confirmed grizzly sightings anywhere in western Montana anyway but even in grizzly dense areas there not tons of them. Learn about bear encounters and let a respect and wariness of them enhance your senses and hunt.

I find that unlike the places I hunt in Wyoming the elk in Montana don’t travel as far to winter. There’s really no place special or different to go like Wyoming where a hundred miles puts them in low sagebrush country. They just drop down in elevation and we see them bunched up during December and January when we’re looking for lion tracks. They are truly resident elk herds. For that reason I have always hunted the exact same places in rifle that I did during archery. Actually my Wyoming spots are the same. During rifle in October the weather just isn’t severe enough for them to move. Keep in mind rifle is over by the end of October in the Cowboy State. In Montana it goes another month until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. By the very last week they could be staging, bunching up a little, getting ready to drop down but they still won’t have actually made the move. On the years where it got really nasty by mid November I have seen them arrive at staging areas early but due to the fact that elk don’t commit suicide they remain on those lower ridges until hunting season is over. Those spots are just above where 95% of us will go. I love being a 1%er that time of year! Once you find them it’s a hunt to remember. When movement does start it’s the nursery herds. Cows calves spikes and some rag horns. You will never see a 6 point bull that bailed out of the hills in November. Half of them never do completely. Totally different than Wyoming. By the end of gun season you wouldn’t be hunting the same exact spots as you did during archery. But you wouldn’t be more than a few miles away. On the flip side there are years where I’m bummed because winter never did show up at all during hunting season and they are still in the same damn places as they were since summer. I’m not a fan of that myself. I like hunting the different phases of their cycle. But it does make for easier walking. Just further and higher. There are very few differences in an archery or rifle hunt plan. Each one is taylor made for the hunter so if a client said he would potentially be using it during both bow and gun then it would cater to that. Instead of just plans A & B it would probably include D & C as well. Grizzlies? Never crosses my mind even after there are carcasses on the ground. Not where I hunt that is. Northwest or other areas different story. Tell your partner to be your support crew/packer in archery and you’ll be his in gun. Tell him also and this is a big deal: There’s no better way to increase your odds of success during rifle season than to have bow hunted the same area. It’s not uncommon for bulls to get killed on the first day of gun by bow hunters who were into them in September but just couldn’t seal the deal. Nothing is sweeter than walking up to a dead bull that was laughing at you a month ago. I walk up to them and say HA! Who’s laughing now wise guy! Lol

This bull was killed in Wyoming at 10:30 am on the first day of rifle season by a hunter who bought an archery plan. He’s strictly a bow hunter and had lots of questions about gun season tactics. He came close but didn’t punch a tag in archery. His first bull too. When he went back he only scheduled 3 days to hunt. He was back home by day 3! I can’t say I wasn’t jealous when I saw this beautiful public land bull! The elk were all in the same spots as they were during the rut. F06791DE-E079-451B-B026-A251350D86F8.jpeg74C650B8-3961-467A-A9D9-74FEB6AB4B56.jpeg

FYI. I own hunt plans from Joe in MT and WY. I have hunted with his plans for 8 years now. I have so many options now. The biggest thing most hunters do not know who've never hunted out west is that you have to have a good place to start. 15 years ago i woulda paid the money just for a place to start. I spent years jacking around in CO looking for elk. Now days just depends what i draw is where i go hunt. Joe will give you far more info than you can hunt in one year trust me. I have opportunities every year at legal elk. I have seen some toads as well and have maybe blown it a time or 3. I shoot traditional. Slight handy cap for those 40yrd shots that a compound guy would take, i don't. I will say tiis as well the mire tine you take and spend out west the better your odds. We dont go until we can stay for at least 11 to 15 days. Thats a minimum. Fortunately i have a great wife and enough vacation time to do that. Finding a western partner is like finding a good wife, their not around every corner. Good luck to you my friend and do it you'll never regret it.

Shane

OP
J
I find that unlike the places I hunt in Wyoming the elk in Montana don’t travel as far to winter. There’s really no place special or different to go like Wyoming where a hundred miles puts them in low sagebrush country. They just drop down in elevation and we see them bunched up during December and January when we’re looking for lion tracks. They are truly resident elk herds. For that reason I have always hunted the exact same places in rifle that I did during archery. Actually my Wyoming spots are the same. During rifle in October the weather just isn’t severe enough for them to move. Keep in mind rifle is over by the end of October in the Cowboy State. In Montana it goes another month until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. By the very last week they could be staging, bunching up a little, getting ready to drop down but they still won’t have actually made the move. On the years where it got really nasty by mid November I have seen them arrive at staging areas early but due to the fact that elk don’t commit suicide they remain on those lower ridges until hunting season is over. Those spots are just above where 95% of us will go. I love being a 1%er that time of year! Once you find them it’s a hunt to remember. When movement does start it’s the nursery herds. Cows calves spikes and some rag horns. You will never see a 6 point bull that bailed out of the hills in November. Half of them never do completely. Totally different than Wyoming. By the end of gun season you wouldn’t be hunting the same exact spots as you did during archery. But you wouldn’t be more than a few miles away. On the flip side there are years where I’m bummed because winter never did show up at all during hunting season and they are still in the same damn places as they were since summer. I’m not a fan of that myself. I like hunting the different phases of their cycle. But it does make for easier walking. Just further and higher. There are very few differences in an archery or rifle hunt plan. Each one is taylor made for the hunter so if a client said he would potentially be using it during both bow and gun then it would cater to that. Instead of just plans A & B it would probably include D & C as well. Grizzlies? Never crosses my mind even after there are carcasses on the ground. Not where I hunt that is. Northwest or other areas different story. Tell your partner to be your support crew/packer in archery and you’ll be his in gun. Tell him also and this is a big deal: There’s no better way to increase your odds of success during rifle season than to have bow hunted the same area. It’s not uncommon for bulls to get killed on the first day of gun by bow hunters who were into them in September but just couldn’t seal the deal. Nothing is sweeter than walking up to a dead bull that was laughing at you a month ago. I walk up to them and say HA! Who’s laughing now wise guy! Lol

This bull was killed in Wyoming at 10:30 am on the first day of rifle season by a hunter who bought an archery plan. He’s strictly a bow hunter and had lots of questions about gun season tactics. He came close but didn’t punch a tag in archery. His first bull too. When he went back he only scheduled 3 days to hunt. He was back home by day 3! I can’t say I wasn’t jealous when I saw this beautiful public land bull! The elk were all in the same spots as they were during the rut. View attachment 368389View attachment 368390
What’s your typical lead time on hunt plans?

AbSandy

FNG
Reigion 1. Heron Mt. Tons of public land. hike any trail or gated road a couple miles and you will locate bugling elk. Lots of timber, need to be able to navigate in, but you will hear elk.

What’s your typical lead time on hunt plans?
Once all Wyoming and Montana hunting license apps are in I’ll order maps. When those arrive I’ll start working on plans. First come first served on the order of them. All plans are completed by the end of May unless ordered at a later time. Some hunters wait for the drawing results before moving forward with a plan and that’s fine but obviously the plan will be received later. Clients who know their licenses are guaranteed usually want their plans asap and order now so they can get started looking their area over online. Every once in awhile a hunter might plan a summer scouting trip too.

Last edited: