MT Archery Question/Advice

Hey guys, this year me and a friend drew big game combo tags in Montana. We were planning to do one archery hunt and one rifle hunt. I am a teacher and I do not have too many days off and as an out of stater, we need to make the most of our time. The archery hunt we have planned is the last week of the season up till Oct. 18th as those are the days that coincide with my schedule. My question is, is this still possible to get a quality elk hunt done with our bows during this time of year? Will be difficult to make another time work for us for our archery hunt but also don't want to waste our time if the timing is bad. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

I won’t be easy. By then bulls are tired and laying low recuperating. You’ll have to choose your strategies wisely. Don’t expect to hear many if any bugles and to be able to get bulls all worked up and come to you. Ambushes will be the name of the game. On the bright side you’ll have literally no competition from other hunters.

Wapiti1

WKR
The rut will be over. You might get a few grunts or a lazy bugle, but don't expect anything to come over.

The larger bulls will have pulled back into their sanctuaries for the most part, and smaller bulls may stick with the herds or follow the older bulls up.

Expect spot and stalk, ambush, and it will be largely a glassing hunt just like the rifle season will be.

When you do find a recovering bull, or small group of bulls, be patient. They'll usually be using a small area, and be patternable. Watch them go to bed in the morning, and go setup in the evening is a good strategy. Wind makes or breaks an ambush, so be willing to abandon ship if it isn't good. The bulls will vacate if you push them too hard.

It really depends on the unit if I would bother or not. Open, glassable unit, sure. Timber unit? Nope, I'd add a week to my rifle hunt instead.

Jeremy

Beendare

WKR
I hunted early October archery in MT and think those guys above are right on....

Plus....hunter pressure is a big factor in these General and OTC units. You will be going in there after a month of them being harassed.

____

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It will totally depend on the part of the state that you hunt and the weather! Elk in certain parts of Montana will not get vocal as a result from hunting pressure or predators. Southwest MT bulls were screaming until the last week of the archery season last year! When you are online scouting look for areas far from roads with good food sources. Burns are often a good place to start! It's pretty easy to get away from other hunters during the archery season in Montana as long as you are okay with hiking a few miles. Look at some areas out in Eastern MT for your mule deer tag!

Scoot

WKR
I went in the timeframe you're talking about and I don't plan to do it again. It matched the above info to a T. Wapiti1 nailed it when he said "You might get a few grunts or a lazy bugle, but don't expect anything to come over." Once you get more than a handful of days in Oct, I don't think I'd use my time doing it with a bow. YMMV

hobbes

WKR
It's definitely less likely that you'll get into bugling action, but it's entirely possible. I've been on a herd of 30 cows with a great 6 point bugling non-stop on the last Thursday and Friday of the season. I couldn't hunt them Saturday, but found him again on the last day, Sunday, ...........on another hunter's back that still had a smile from ear to ear.

I'd still pick mid to late September over October though, but if that's your only option...........seems like an easy choice.

I killed a bull October 19 that came right in. The main herd was going nuts all day.
other years we’ve had many many opportunities late. The past 2-3 years many hunters have been frustrated early and not much was happening until way late very end of September into mid October. Two years ago I backpacked into 455 on a rifle bull hunt and had 500 plus bunched up bugling non stop bulls still mounting cows. We hiked in for 4 days on November 1st. Lots of 300-320 6 points so not just little dinks. I think every year is different and any year could be a late year. Not to mention zero hunters once you hit October and cooler weather or snow.

406unltd

WKR
Depends on how bad you want to hunt elk with your bow. I’d go a week earlier at a minimum schedule be damned. Sounds like you’re stuck with those days though so I wouldn’t worry about it too much and just hunt..... Or not it’s your tag. If you decide to go you’ll have a blast so good luck.