MT changing their ways

Lawnboi

WKR
WI went to paper a while ago. Though I do t like the sound of the tag printing thing, sounds like an easy way to get screwed up. Good thing it’s easy enough to get mt Fwp on the phone.

Montana will move into the 21st century when they do mandatory reporting.

I don’t get how in Ohio I have to check my deer within 24 hrs and the state knows exactly when and how many deer are killed each year, vs Montana where I may or may not get a random phone call months later.

I get it that you might be out of cell range for a few days, but just make a Hunt Montana app where you “check” your elk/deer in the field and as soon as you hit service again that data (location and time) goes to MT FWP. They could know exactly where and when every animal was shot in the state and save money to top it all off.

In the past, I would have a sheaf of the license and all my carcass tags in my wallet. Now I'll need an entire notebook! Lol

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
SD has been doing this for a while with their normal hunting license. Now they just give you a QR code that you can download to your phone and the game wardens can scan it and it contains all your information.
I like that!!! I've been thinking that for the last few years "why not just have the entire thing on an APP on your phone" super easy and instant. I feel like printing your license off on your own on paper at home is MT changing their ways but it's a step back not forward.

slick

WKR
Oregon moved over to electronic licensing recently and it was a huge pain for the general public to adopt.

I drew a mountain goat tag last year, and as someone previously said before, it didn’t feel the same to have a printed at home tag. I’m not a sentimental guy, but a once in a lifetime tag is something I’d like to keep around.

That being said, I think they could give out “normal tags” to moose sheep and goat tag holders if asked for it, but for all general tags and easy to draw permits keep on your phone. It’s pretty easy.

There’s a million ways to screw the system, if you’re that hard up that you find ways around it, it’s probably not the only thing you’re cheating at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Think of all the advantages to having a simple phone APP. You can submit your kill electronically (no more phone calls from fish and game) they could have the hunt results in the system faster and easier. You could have it date/time and GPS stamp your kill for extremely accurate documentation for the FWP this could only help with the management of wildlife "better management better wildlife". There is no way it couldnt be considerably less expensive for the agencies to operate and then they can concentrate on stuff that matters like the wildlife management no more time consuming paperwork. It would be super handy for data collection for the biologists to do there job they could be doing their wildlife studies in real time instead of years behind this can only benefit the wildlife managment process and therefore benefit hunters.

Mt Al

WKR
Think of all the advantages to having a simple phone APP. You can submit your kill electronically (no more phone calls from fish and game)

You could have it date/time and GPS stamp your kill for extremely accurate documentation for the FWP

I live by: "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not coming after you"

There is zero chance of me and my fellow tin foil hatted nut cases being comfortable with the FWP requiring and APP having my GPS coords and keeping any of the information cyber-secure. Nothing, zero, is cyber secure. Yes, I have things to hide, such as my hard earned honey holes.

However, when it happens as it surely will, I'll complain for a while, download it and get on with life.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I live by: "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not coming after you"

There is zero chance of me and my fellow tin foil hatted nut cases being comfortable with the FWP requiring and APP having my GPS coords and keeping any of the information cyber-secure. Nothing, zero, is cyber secure. Yes, I have things to hide, such as my hard earned honey holes.

However, when it happens as it surely will, I'll complain for a while, download it and get on with life.

So when they ask you if you harvested and where, you lie to them? And there is a giant conspiracy to steal your "honey holes"? To say "that's very very far from likely" is an understatement

Mt Al

WKR
So when they ask you if you harvested and where, you lie to them? And there is a giant conspiracy to steal your "honey holes"? To say "that's very very far from likely" is an understatement

Remain calm. Overreact much? Meds? Counseling? I can't judge, done the same.

You jumped from my lack of comfort with an APP to lying to FWP....dayum. I can see that I did earn a keyboard lashing for having the temerity to mention my concern for honey holes. Point taken.

No, when they ask I tell them. I referenced my concerns about an APP, data security and FWP finding honey holes. Like I mentioned in my post, when they require it I'll do it.

"Giant conspiracy": Here are two true stories to help you out on why people don't trust FWP sometimes. I could easy write three more just like it.
1. Eastern MT rancher was enrolled in Block Management with limited dates and limited people per day and wondered why his friends and neighbors weren't able to get a date to hunt - seemed to be booked up instantaneously. He went to FWP office to inquire and was in the waiting area. While waiting he overheard the receptionist telling other FWP staff that "we keep Mr. X's ranch booked up, we keep that one to ourselves". He dropped Block Management, but it's cool because my friend and I get to hunt speed goats, turkeys and archery mulies!
2. I called FWP in Great Falls years ago to inquire about a Block Management place and some public land on the Highline. I was told, verbatim, that " you shouldn't hunt there, the neighboring rancher sees hunters and shoots to kill" - seriously. I asked for her supervisor immediately, she asked why, I told her because she's full of shite, no one's shooting to kill and if they did we'd have heard about it outside of a receptionist at FWP. I asked the supervisor how many criminal complaints have been logged for "shooting to kill". He was pretty pissed off and told me the reason she said that is because it's a great place to hunt, she must have wanted to keep it to close friends. I'm sure she's still gainfully employed.

I do deserve a half keyboard lashing, but you can google MT FWP staff doing stupid stuff on private ranches where they knew massive bulls resided if you'd like. I admitted in my first post I'm a bit paranoid, but in this case I have a few reasons. My kids did get vaccinated though.

BFR

WKR
Although you do have to use paper game tags a digital copy of the license on your phone is acceptable. As for me, I’ll still go to FW&P office and get mine over the counter.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Remain calm. Overreact much? Meds? Counseling? I can't judge, done the same.

You jumped from my lack of comfort with an APP to lying to FWP....dayum. I can see that I did earn a keyboard lashing for having the temerity to mention my concern for honey holes. Point taken.

No, when they ask I tell them. I referenced my concerns about an APP, data security and FWP finding honey holes. Like I mentioned in my post, when they require it I'll do it.

"Giant conspiracy": Here are two true stories to help you out on why people don't trust FWP sometimes. I could easy write three more just like it.
1. Eastern MT rancher was enrolled in Block Management with limited dates and limited people per day and wondered why his friends and neighbors weren't able to get a date to hunt - seemed to be booked up instantaneously. He went to FWP office to inquire and was in the waiting area. While waiting he overheard the receptionist telling other FWP staff that "we keep Mr. X's ranch booked up, we keep that one to ourselves". He dropped Block Management, but it's cool because my friend and I get to hunt speed goats, turkeys and archery mulies!
2. I called FWP in Great Falls years ago to inquire about a Block Management place and some public land on the Highline. I was told, verbatim, that " you shouldn't hunt there, the neighboring rancher sees hunters and shoots to kill" - seriously. I asked for her supervisor immediately, she asked why, I told her because she's full of shite, no one's shooting to kill and if they did we'd have heard about it outside of a receptionist at FWP. I asked the supervisor how many criminal complaints have been logged for "shooting to kill". He was pretty pissed off and told me the reason she said that is because it's a great place to hunt, she must have wanted to keep it to close friends. I'm sure she's still gainfully employed.

I do deserve a half keyboard lashing, but you can google MT FWP staff doing stupid stuff on private ranches where they knew massive bulls resided if you'd like. I admitted in my first post I'm a bit paranoid, but in this case I have a few reasons. My kids did get vaccinated though.

I don’t think you need a keyboard lashing at all your more than entitled to your feelings but however you feel about the FWP or not I highly doubt they give two shits about you and your “honey holes”. If we all used the system as it is intended they should already have all our harvests documented so the app would change nothing as far as that goes and don’t think they don’t already have all your Personal info logged somewhere. As far as the FWP stealing good hunting spots and giving spots to there buddies they don’t need harvest statistics to tell them that, they can do and go whatever they please the app would once again would have no effect. I know a few ranchers that take their own reservations and just so happen to be booked up for 3 months even tho I call within the first 5 minutes of the allotted time frame to start making reservations so there is no limit to who’s cheating the system. I actually believe the lack of proper documentation and a more state of the art system of management leads to further corruption. As of right now the work is spread so thin amongst those running the wildlife management agencies they higher tons of part time and seasonal employees during those periods of big game seasons no wonder there could be so much bullshit going on and it just gets lost in the fray and it’s not in a system which can be easily monitored, reviewed and/or audited.

Use "write in rain" paper...used that stuff on a deep earth tunnel job where there was water dripping in constantly from all around. Never a problem
Huh! I had no idea that existed! ive had their little notebooks before but never knew they made printer paper! Thanks for the heads up!

Vince8112

FNG
I can just see it now. Kill a buck and you go to pull out your tag from a wet backpack and it’s pulp. Not sure how well this will work out for people that encounter wet overnight trips in the backcountry.

BFR

WKR
FW&P is giving out plastic bags for this, or you can use a zip lock sandwich bag.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I think in Montana in the next few year we will see more changes and I’m betting we will end up with more of a system like Oregon has. With the app yes there’s a lot of us that have our phones with us all the time and now we are using our phones paired with OnX as our gps but what about the older crowd? I work with plenty of guys who still carry flip phones I even work with a guy who doesn’t have a cell phone how are these guys going to “check in”?

spaniel

FNG
My big complaint is not having a waterproof tag no way a piece of printer paper will make it through hunting season with out being destroyed in my wallet.
Pretty much every other state has already gone to this. Stick it in a Ziploc bag and be done with it. No big deal.