MT Elk Changes

cgasner1

WKR
I’d like to see some changes made in the state but it seems like it’s always taking a hatchet to the problem when it needs a scalpel. We don’t need to make all the changes in a single season why not implement something like this and just apply it to the non residents. I would also be curious to see where the muzzy season would land. Added to rifle or does it get made to be part of a short range season like Idaho where it’s added after for the archery guys? I think splitting that into 3 season would help spread people out but it almost needs to be that and a pick your region to regulate how many people go to each area. It’s kinda funny when people talk about trying to change the pressure the only real way to do that is to go to more draw tags and make people stay home and no one wants that either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Would splitting the seasons to NR only really help the problem? I'd wager most of us are only hunting one season anyway.

Agree with this 100%.

Montana has had the nonresident combo tags capped since 1975. The massive influx of residents is the root of the problem, but blaming the nonresident is always easier than looking in the mirror.

rambo2345

WKR
1.5 to 2 weeks of archery season is all the NR that I personally know of have participated in for Montana big game.

cgasner1

WKR
Not blaming them at all but as a resident I’d rather see them start with that. I agree most guys aren’t coming on both seasons but I’m sure some are so it would offset some pressure a bit. That’s all any of this will accomplish at best is offset it a little bit without making people stay home the pressure won’t change

Montana needs to figure out how to keep elk from dying of old age on private land. If that means charging higher prices and getting more aggressive in BMA payments or something, that'd be a start. Private landowners can't bitch about elk in their alfalfa and then not allow hunting.