MT Elk Draw Question

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
So I normally head west every fall but having kid #2 this summer put a damper on it this year, but here's my conundrum. I was originally planning on heading back to MT in 2023 so I bought a preference point with the idea of having 2 going into next year's draw.

More recently I've had someone offer to get me back to WY on a party app which would be my preferred hunt to do in 2023. Is there anyway with the new MT regs of needing to apply every other year to salvage my point from this year that I've already purchased? Am I likely just better off applying in the spring without buying a point and hope I don't draw so I don't lose my point? And then hope I draw in 2024 with 2 points since I won't be able to grab another point in 2023?

Need a freaking PhD to fully understand Montana's draw regs.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I believe you have it right to save your pp. apply in 2023 with only the one pp you have, should be zero % draw odds just like this year and when you go in in 2024 with 2 pp it hopefully Is still 90% or better odds to draw.

NDGuy

WKR
I thought it was around 80% this year but don't see it published where the permit draw stats are.
I don't think it was last year either. With how many guys I know got turned down I'd bet 60%ish.

I don't think it was last year either. With how many guys I know got turned down I'd bet 60%ish.

This thread they claimed 2pp was 97.5% in the big game combo. Elk combo may have been less?

NDGuy

WKR
This thread they claimed 2pp was 97.5% in the big game combo. Elk combo may have been less?

Hmm maybe. Elk Combo should be pretty high, I think Big game is 2nd hardest and deer combo is the worst odds to draw with 2 points.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
We draw this year as a party of three with me only having 1 point because I drew last year. My buddy and his son had 2 points so we drew a general elk with 1.66 or how ever they round that off. So hard to figure your chances.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
so in this example, "2 pp" is 1 preference point and the following year an application? or is it stating 2 preference points plus the application?

Attachments

• D1EC18DF-C9BF-4034-B251-10735632569B.png
    D1EC18DF-C9BF-4034-B251-10735632569B.png
    685.9 KB · Views: 14
so in this example, "2 pp" is 1 preference point and the following year an application? or is it stating 2 preference points plus the application?

It’s however many unused preference points youve paid for at time of application, which includes a point if you pay for one at time of application. So if someone bought their first pp in summer of ‘21 and bought another with their application in spring of ‘22, they are in the 2022 draw with 2 PP.

You don’t get points just for applying in Montana, have to buy them on top of app cost.