MT Elk hunting on the front? Is it worth it with all the grizzly encounters?

So far this year... and this is outside of Augusta, MT it seems like the number of bear encounters has been crazy this year. Heard lots of first and second hand accounts of bears claiming carcasses before the hunter can even get to the carcass. In the case of my hunting buddy, i was going to go back with him the next day to help pack the rest of his elk out and now im' glad i couldn't get out of the office that day because their were multiple bears on it. Needless to say he walked away from it... rack and all. Seems like if you have to leave it overnight to come back the next day you might as well not come back and if you do you better be ready for hostile grizzlies because their WILL be MULTIPLE grizzlies in the area. Anyway it's discouraging me from hunting the front... seems like im' better off sticking to the Belts and the Highwoods during shoulder season when access isn't so limited.

Bottom line is bears need to fear gunshots... not run to them like it's a dinner bell. IMHO, Montana needs to issue tags and put them back under the food chain.

Last edited:

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been that way for years up there. About 20 years ago you could put a spotting scope on pretty much any mountain side and see all the color variations of Grizzlies. From what I hear the black leaf is even worse than it was 10 years ago. I believe that MT recognizes there is a problem but delisting gets held up or denied in federal courts. The bear problem spreads much beyond that point though. There have been encounters into the highwoods and big belt mountains. I honestly don’t think there are very many places where you don’t stand a chance of encountering one.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
We have the same problem in the Island Park area of Idaho. Waking up to fresh grizzly tracks in the driveway, cabin break-ins, loss of meat and trophies, and human attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a gun in your hand I don’t think I would worry much . As for retrieving the meat definitely be careful coming back .

Where I live black bear run around like raccoons and for the most part, are just like big mischievous ones that don’t cause that much trouble. What y’all deal with in Grizz country is crazy.

bobr1

WKR
OP. It's up to you to decide and how much risk you are willing to take. I know people that don't bat an eye and solo in grizz country and others that will absolutely refuse to go in an areas with them. It comes down to being smart and prepared and luck (bad luck) if you happen to encounter one or not. If you get an elk down and leave and come back the next day there's a pretty good chance that there will be either some on the carcass or in the vicinity. The Bob definitely has the highest concentration of grizzlies in the lower 48.

The sad thing now is there is starting to be backlash against depredation of even food driven and aggressive bears.

Grizzly death spurs pushback

With the activist it's very emotion based vs logical and they tend to cherry pick scientist that are sympathetic to there cause and don't have the science or expertise to back it up, just their opinion vs the 100s or more that work for the state and feds that would strongly disagree. And from talking to some of the biologist that either spent years or decades and most of their careers on researching and protecting the bears they also know that they need to be managed, just like all the others animals. Montana was smart enough to see the writing on the wall before the first hunting season for grizzlies last year and opted out of having a season knowing it was probably going to go to court and get held up anyway. Right now they are working and trying to get the data and evidence to show that the hunt would be sustainable and necessary in the coming years. They just started their grizzly bear advisory council which has members from every section that are affected to look at the big picture of whats happening and how to deal with it.

The biggest thing the anti's try to push is that the northern continental divide ecosystem and greater yellowstone ecosystem need to connect to help with the recovery long term. The reality which is ironic, is that with the huge influx moving to Montana and especially Bozeman and the surrounding areas is that they are essentially blocking or making it much more difficult for that to ever happen, but you know, blame the hunters.

I think they will eventually have a hunt for them in Montana but it won't probably be for another few years and it will probably only be for 6 tags a year. It's also going to be under a microscope from all sides.

Sorry for the long post but this is something I think a lot of hunters in grizzly areas are frustrated with.

Its worth it if your careful. There was that video of the USFS guy who got mauled a few years ago in the Madison Range MT. We have hunted that area for over 25 years and never had a Griz issue in there, and hope I never do. It does make your hair stand on the back of your neck sometimes when you hear snaps of branches or rocks rolling near by. Its also the thrill knowing that there are other apex predators lurking near in cat and bear country. Im just as cautious about getting trampled by a cow moose protecting her young, or a cat looking for its next meal.

JWP58

WKR
Always keep in mind the most far left dont want people in wild places (think large population centers) and want less people. This is a win/win for the radical kooks.

For me it wouldn't be worth it, since having kiddos things change.

Everyone has to make up their own mind. Personally I’ll hunt solo in most griz areas. I will never leave meat for the next day. I figure a pack out in the dark is better than coming back 12 hours later and letting something find it. I carry a sidearm and bear spray. And I’m very nervous when it’s dark.

I’ve seen them while hunting. No encounters. But it’s always in your mind.

That said, I much prefer having one parter to hunt with. It’s just a thing you can’t do much about, and the options are take a known risk, or don’t hunt. Not a whole lot you can do in between.

Wapiti1

WKR
Interesting screen name. I grew up across the river from Ulm on Millegan Rd. My folks still live there.

The bear issues have been going on across the front since I was a kid 40 years ago.

I still spend time from Augusta to Cut Bank and see bears but never have issues with them. The stories usually turn out to be a single bear in a limited area, and once it is dealt with, no more problems. The bears down by Yellowstone are more aggressive in my experience than the front range bears.

You're right, if you don't want to mess with them, hunt the Big and Little Belts, or Highwoods. It's six of one half dozen of another. There are deer and elk in both areas. Choose and go.

Jeremy

TC406

FNG
It is getting hectic with the increase in Griz density, but IMHO its just another factor to be prepared for when going into the woods, not something to scare you off. My best advice for making sure you get your animal our of the woods is to take the time to get the meat and trophy well away, like 4-800 yards, from the carcass as quickly as possible. I get that getting it all out in one go often isn't possible, and don't think that going back in at night is usually a good idea (again IMHO), but if you can put some space between what you want and what the bears want, your chances of getting your meat on your second trip are greatly improved.

netman

WKR
I didn’t see the grizzly but the guy camping near me seen it twice. Once it was chasing a deer and the second time it was crossing the road. This was within 1 mile of our tents.
This was west of Dillon Mt.
Made coming back to camp at night and cooking in the dark more interesting.
This was in September during bow season.

I didn’t see the grizzly but the guy camping near me seen it twice. Once it was chasing a deer and the second time it was crossing the road. This was within 1 mile of our tents.
This was west of Dillon Mt.
Made coming back to camp at night and cooking in the dark more interesting.
This was in September during bow season.
If we are camping close to a road we might have to start bringing electric fences and put around our tents that should keep us safe at night.

RIELLY24

FNG
I was up in the hills by Lincoln MT for 7 days in September and didn't see any bears, not many elk either.... I struck out but in the back of my mind I was not looking forward to quartering that thing up in the dark had I been successful. I hope they have a Griz season soon.

Beendare

WKR
Simple solution.....be prepared to pack it out when you kill one.

OP, why didn't you guys pack out the elk that evening?

IMO, its all about understanding bear mentality. We all know by now, once bears find a carcass they will defend it vigorously. Packing one out at night you might bump into a bear...but this will not initiate an instant charge like in the downed carcass scenario.

Seems to me packing them out in the dark is the best option, plan accordingly.

Opening up a season on them would definitely change their habits a bit although I don't know if this will ever happen, I hope it does. They need to fear humans and the only way that will happen is if there is a season on them.

Like others have said, you need to get the meat away from the carcass asap. That may mean not shooting one in the evening. If you get the quarters several hundred yards away from the carcass I wouldn't be too concerned coming back the next day. The carcass is what they smell.

netman

WKR
One of my coworkers was elk hunting near Deerlodge Mt this year and took this picture.

Attachments

• 96C45041-A3DB-440E-9CA7-3595B5C7656E.jpeg
    96C45041-A3DB-440E-9CA7-3595B5C7656E.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 179